SS to Tubes

1oldguy

Re: SS to Tubes
« Reply #20 on: 4 Aug 2011, 08:48 pm »
Migrated to tubes about 10 years ago and never looked back. However I use a solid state amp to power my woofers in a system that is tri-amped. The mids and tweeters are using SET amps.

I must say congrats on that TT.Looks fantastic.

spinner

« Reply #21 on: 4 Aug 2011, 09:26 pm »
 I don't care for the inherent micophonics that tubes produce. SS rules . Give me the 20//20 vision thankyou........... :thumb:

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #22 on: 4 Aug 2011, 09:34 pm »
I don't care for the inherent micophonics that tubes produce. SS rules . Give me the 20//20 vision thankyou........... :thumb:

:thumb:

Pez

« Reply #23 on: 4 Aug 2011, 09:37 pm »

You mean you prefer the inherent microphonics of solid state over the inherent microphonics of tube gear right?  :wink:

Viajero5000

« Reply #24 on: 4 Aug 2011, 09:46 pm »
I think few posts in this thread are making sweeping generalisations, which is unfortunately misleading.   

rmurray

« Reply #25 on: 5 Aug 2011, 01:42 am »
I believe these "micophonics" occur as tubes break down. It is a gradual process as I was told back in the late sixties when tubes were very prevalent in hi-fi amps and tuners. I have never heard of this in solid state devices,; could be . Perhaps James could explain this issue more accurately . :violin:

Phil A

« Reply #26 on: 5 Aug 2011, 02:17 am »
I think few posts in this thread are making sweeping generalisations, which is unfortunately misleading.   

That's for sure - there's plenty of info out there on tubes - i.e. http://www.vacuumtube.com/faq1.htm

The 6H30 used in my preamp (the power supply uses two other pairs of tubes) have an expected life span I believe of 10,000+ hours.  I had a modded Sony XA777ES many moons ago with tubes and it was my CD and SACD source for a littel bit under 5 years and I never heard any difference nor did I ever even have back-up tubes (I have them now for the preamp).  Probably 20+ years back a neighbor had a Dynaco amp and preamp sitting in his garage.  He told me they didn't work (they were his dads I believe and probably more than 15 years old).  I traded him a cheap pair of small satellite speakers I had laying around.  I stuck the Dynaco pieces in a spare bedroom and a year letter I took them out determined the preamp needed a $0.79 bulb and the amp a $12.50 tube.  I used them for a few years off and on and then sold them.  The point is that anything has a life span (including us) and some make it sound as if dying the minute you play something on tube equipment.  Right now I have one set of good back-ups for the preamp and the set that came with it (one set is 6 tubes as the power supply uses 2 pair) and while I may buy more if I see a good deal, I don't anticipate any loss of performance with what I have laying around for over 10 years.

PRELUDE

« Reply #27 on: 5 Aug 2011, 02:46 am »
Does anyone of the tube guys use all SET active set up?

Quiet Earth

« Reply #28 on: 5 Aug 2011, 03:01 am »
Just out of curiosity........  are some of you guys saying that you have actually obtained a greater musical pleasure from some tube gear but you chose to dismiss it because it had tubes in it and therefor could not be good enough?

In other words, are you saying that no matter how musically satisfying a piece of tube (or solid state) gear can be, the goal is to attain a theoretical replica of accuracy and not some emotionally satisfying experience based on your own personal preference?

rajacat

• Washington State
« Reply #29 on: 5 Aug 2011, 03:33 am »
Just out of curiosity........  are some of you guys saying that you have actually obtained a greater musical pleasure from some tube gear but you chose to dismiss it because it had tubes in it and therefor could not be good enough?

In other words, are you saying that no matter how musically satisfying a piece of tube (or solid state) gear can be, the goal is to attain a theoretical replica of accuracy and not some emotionally satisfying experience based on your own personal preference?

+1 Very well put. :thumb:

Pez

« Reply #30 on: 5 Aug 2011, 04:41 am »
I believe these "micophonics" occur as tubes break down. It is a gradual process as I was told back in the late sixties when tubes were very prevalent in hi-fi amps and tuners. I have never heard of this in solid state devices,; could be . Perhaps James could explain this issue more accurately . :violin:

Everything and anything in the audio chain is suseptible to microphonics. No exceptions. Why do you think people use giant blocks of dead tree under their gear and every isolation device ever made is used to reduce vibration aka microphonics.

This false idea that solid state is somehow 'better' than tubes is usually based on impressions that tubes 'color' sound where solid state doesn't. Nothing can be further from the truth. Solid state colors sound, tubes color sound, digital colors sound. It's the nature of the beast. Solid state has it's own set of problems that many find unappealing.

All that said I think this topic needs to encompass things like negative feedback, global feedback, rectification type, amp layout and class etc etc etc. Saying 'I don't like Solid State, I like tubes!' is missing the reality that both 'camps' have hundreds of different varieties within them. Tubes have SET, OTL, PushPull, UL, etc etc. Have those of you who profess to like only Solid State or only Tube listened to every variety available? I haven't and I doubt you have!

vegasdave

« Reply #31 on: 5 Aug 2011, 05:40 am »
This is the Bryston forum. Solid State rules. End of discussion. :D

werd

« Reply #32 on: 5 Aug 2011, 07:07 am »
This is the Bryston forum. Solid State rules. End of discussion. :D

:lol: that was awesome

vegasdave

« Reply #33 on: 5 Aug 2011, 07:35 am »

:lol: that was awesome

Thank you!  :icon_lol:

jaxwired

« Reply #34 on: 5 Aug 2011, 11:32 am »
I will say this, the vast majority of professional hifi reviewers use solid state for their reference systems.  That has to mean something, these guys hear everything.

BrysTony

« Reply #35 on: 5 Aug 2011, 11:35 am »
Live and let live...

1oldguy

« Reply #36 on: 5 Aug 2011, 11:37 am »
I agree nothing is perfect.I would tend to think that SS would be more consistent across the board.
Maybe that's why it's used so much for reviews.

Levi

« Reply #37 on: 5 Aug 2011, 12:08 pm »
That is called denial.  :thumb:

BobRex

« Reply #38 on: 5 Aug 2011, 12:39 pm »
I will say this, the vast majority of professional hifi reviewers use solid state for their reference systems.  That has to mean something, these guys hear everything.

Uh huh.  Except that since most reviewers cannot maintain a wharehouse full of equipment, they need to concern themselves with compatability.  Most SS amps (warning - this is a patent generalization being made for brevity, don't bother listing all of the exceptions) can successfully drive more speakers than tube amps.  Since reviewers change equipment more frequently than most audiophiles (exempting the truly neurotic) they need a predictable base from which to work.  Solid state provides such a base.

The irony to this many reviews of SS  gear do reference tube gear and comparisons made are typically pro tube.  Goes back to what Quite Earth was asking.

jaxwired

« Reply #39 on: 5 Aug 2011, 12:43 pm »
Uh huh.  Except that since most reviewers cannot maintain a wharehouse full of equipment, they need to concern themselves with compatability.  Most SS amps (warning - this is a patent generalization being made for brevity, don't bother listing all of the exceptions) can successfully drive more speakers than tube amps.  Since reviewers change equipment more frequently than most audiophiles (exempting the truly neurotic) they need a predictable base from which to work.  Solid state provides such a base.

The irony to this many reviews of SS  gear do reference tube gear and comparisons made are typically pro tube.  Goes back to what Quite Earth was asking.

That's a lot of dancing.  I remain unconvinced.