Bryston site note the non authorized dealers listed: how do they get stuff?

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
I mean you guys are a single company, and you do not outsource like from China.. So how DO these non authorized places get ahold of bryston gear to sell?
Must keep you guys up at night wondering?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
I mean you guys are a single company, and you do not outsource like from China.. So how DO these non authorized places get ahold of bryston gear to sell?
Must keep you guys up at night wondering?

They don't - they just say they can and then try to switch you.  We tried to buy a CD Player about a year ago and after 3 months and many arguments we finally got our money back.

james
« Last Edit: 26 May 2011, 01:59 am by James Tanner »

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
James,

you mean that they don't have Bryston gear in stock?

al.

Elizabeth

WOW. I never even thought of that!
Nasty. Well glad you do not have a 'problem' with stuff somehow winding up in these wierd places.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
James,

you mean that they don't have Bryston gear in stock?

al.

Hi al,

No they try and buy it through an authorized dealer once they have your order.

james

Phil A

I've heard of some dealers who take deposits (sometimes with fine print one needs to watch) and then tell you they can't get stuff and good luck getting your money back but they will let you apply the money to something else. 

Pez

The ol' bait and switch, though usually this tactic requires you to actually have the bait to begin with.  :lol:

Anonamemouse

• +52° 03' 30", +4° 32' 45"
So how DO these non authorized places get ahold of bryston gear to sell?

...They don't...

james

I am sorry James, but these two words render the whole "proof of purchase" demand when one needs any form of service (like software updates and such) obsolete.

If Bryston definitely is not available through non authorized dealers it means that people either buy their equipment through an authorized dealer, or pre-owned, which in return was originally bought through a authorized dealer as well. Therefore you demand something completely useless from your customers, since you know where each device was originally shipped to.

mrhyfy

Unless the product is  a knock-off or stolen,, it's all been bought from an authorised dealer!

Elizabeth

Obviously the warranty situation is a sop to legitimate dealers so they do not get the shaft from unscrupulous internet sellers.
Which is not a problem in my mind at all (but i do think Bryston should have a registration which allows more peace of mind about proof of proper purchase. A one time registration for warranty. Then in 18 years i wont be left scrambling to find an 18 year old reciept!

BobRex

Unless the product is  a knock-off or stolen,, it's all been bought from an authorised dealer!

Incorrect....here's how it's done.

A customer walks into a store and asks to demo a pair of speakers.  After the demo, customer declares that the speakers are liked, but that customer desires a Bryston amp. 

Dealer say's something like "sorry, don't carry Bryston, can sell you XXX instead." 

Customer say's "No deal, it's either Bryston or no sale."

Now the dealer has a problem.  The sale is important (it's been a bad month, and bills are due), so the dealer says "give me a few days to get the amp for you, and we have a deal."  After the customer leaves, dealer calls friend in another state who is an authorized dealer, and explains the problem.  Friend wants to help out, so he sends a unit out of inventory.

A few days later the customer walks in, pays for everything, and walks out happy.  If dealer is smart, he'll open the box and pull the warrany card.  Since Bryston is close to bulletproof, dealer feels safe in doing the transaction.

This happens more than you can imagine, and has been going on for almost as long as there has been a hi-fi industry.

Anonamemouse

...the dealer says "give me a few days to get the amp for you, and we have a deal."  After the customer leaves, dealer calls friend in another state who is an authorized dealer, and explains the problem.  Friend wants to help out, so he sends a unit out of inventory.

A few days later the customer walks in, pays for everything, and walks out happy.  If dealer is smart, he'll open the box and pull the warranty card.  Since Bryston is close to bulletproof, dealer feels safe in doing the transaction.

So... This reasoning would mean that the authorized dealer is warranted, and not the product he sells. I think this is rather bizarre.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
I keep reiterating – if the product becomes unprofitable for the authorized dealer the product will disappear.

James

Anonamemouse

I keep reiterating – if the product becomes unprofitable for the authorized dealer the product will disappear.

James

Just wondering, how is this an answer to my statement?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
The manufacturer relies on the dealer to make the sale. If the dealer does not make a reasonable profit on the sale then the dealer has no more use for the product.

The 'manufacture' and the 'dealer' and the 'customer' are all part of any products success or failure. One can not exist without the support of the other given the normal marketing model used by most high end companies.

The warranty is on the product but if the manufacturer goes away then so does the warranty.

james

BobRex

So... This reasoning would mean that the authorized dealer is warranted, and not the product he sells. I think this is rather bizarre.

Well, technically, the unauthorized dealer in this scenario is warrented.  What happens is if something goes wrong, the customer would give the unit to the unauthorized dealer, who would then ship it back to the authorized dealer to exercise the warranty.  Now if the unauthorized dealer goes belly up, then the customer is SOL, since he (or she) technically bought a used piece.

You have to understand, back when I sold equipment, if I personally wanted a piece that we didn't sell, I'd call another dealer and do a dealer to dealer sale, typically at cost, maybe plus shipping.  There would be a tacit agreement that I wouldn't resell the piece for a year (same agreement the magazines have with manufacturers), and I'd pay wholesale instead of accommodation, but it still beat retail.

That was a fairly common practice.

GaryArthur

The manufacturer relies on the dealer to make the sale. If the dealer does not make a reasonable profit on the sale then the dealer has no more use for the product.

The 'manufacture' and the 'dealer' and the 'customer' are all part of any products success or failure. One can not exist without the support of the other given the normal marketing model used by most high end companies.

The warranty is on the product but if the manufacturer goes away then so does the warranty.

james

James,

I'm having dinner tonight with my dealer so I can place an order before the prices go up on June 1st. I want you and my dealer to make money (but not too much).

Gary

PRELUDE

I cannot understand,Why we have to even pay any attention to non authorized dealers. They are listed under the web sit to be avoid not to follow.If you want the lets say power amp at lower price then look for the used one that was bought from an autorized dealer or demos.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
James,

I'm having dinner tonight with my dealer so I can place an order before the prices go up on June 1st. I want you and my dealer to make money (but not too much).

Gary

I promise :thumb:

james

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
I cannot understand,Why we have to even pay any attention to non authorized dealers. They are listed under the web sit to be avoid not to follow.If you want the lets say power amp at lower price then look for the used one that was bought from an autorized dealer or demos.

I agree...:D