Stereophile poll

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
Re: Stereophile poll
« Reply #40 on: 4 Jun 2010, 02:21 am »
I dunno really. Everything's up in the air at the moment. I'm a long way from getting anything, let alone K-Horns.

Anyway, I am re-evaluating my decision to purchase the 1400 Arrays. I would love to have 'em of course, but not if the quality goes down and the price goes up.

So until then, I will continue to enjoy my JBL L890s, warts and all.

Mexican made too, thank you very much. But they only cost me $800 US a pair!

Napalm

« Reply #41 on: 4 Jun 2010, 02:47 am »
 :idea: Subwoofer.

1ZIP

« Reply #42 on: 4 Jun 2010, 03:36 am »
Assembled -

Amp. - Canada
PreAmp - Canada
CD Player - Canada
IC's - Canada
Speaker cable - Japan
Turntable - UK
Tuner - Japan
Speakers - UK
Banana's & Spades - Japan
Audio Cabinet - US

Ears - Scottish/Irish

math-geek

« Reply #43 on: 4 Jun 2010, 03:46 am »
Buy Dynaudio.  They are made in Denmark and offer service that rivals Bryston, less the 20 year warranty.  Though they still make drivers (in Denmark) for every speaker that they've made for the past 30+ years.  Dynaudio goes so far as to match a replacement driver to the original based on the measurements of the serial no. of the original speaker.

I don't know why you would need a replacement though, my little 1.3 SEs handle insane volumes with no sign of compression.  My friend is running Dyn C1s with a Krell FPB 750cx amp to incredible effect.  I cannot say that he is using 1500 watts into monitors but the sound quality is astounding even at incredible volumes!!!

Maybe it's time to try something new.  Pose the question to Rob808 whom owns Dyn 1.3 MkIIs and Special 25s.

math-geek

« Reply #44 on: 4 Jun 2010, 03:48 am »
Assembled -

Amp. - Canada
PreAmp - Canada
CD Player - Canada
IC's - Canada
Speaker cable - Japan
Turntable - UK
Tuner - Japan
Speakers - UK
Banana's & Spades - Japan
Audio Cabinet - US

Ears - Scottish/Irish

Nice Rack! :green:

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #45 on: 4 Jun 2010, 04:19 am »
Tonian Labs TL-D1s-Glendale, Ca.

Drivers made in China.

dave

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #46 on: 4 Jun 2010, 04:43 am »
CD player / UK (but probably made in China)
dedicated iMac / China
FireWire DAC / designed in US made in China
TT /UK, UK arm (probably built in China), cart started out Japanese but then because Australian
Phono pre / made in Canada
Fornaco Pre-amp / made in Canada, Russian tubes
DynaMutt Power Amp / made in Canada, donor amps made in USA, tubes mostly from Europe
Speakers, all made in Canada. Drivers are all officially made in Canada, but started out Chinese.

dave

math-geek

« Reply #47 on: 4 Jun 2010, 04:57 am »
CD player / UK (but probably made in China)
dedicated iMac / China
FireWire DAC / designed in US made in China
TT /UK, UK arm (probably built in China), cart started out Japanese but then because Australian
Phono pre / made in Canada
Fornaco Pre-amp / made in Canada, Russian tubes
DynaMutt Power Amp / made in Canada, donor amps made in USA, tubes mostly from Europe
Speakers, all made in Canada. Drivers are all officially made in Canada, but started out Chinese.

dave

So what are you running there superfly?

planet10

• Industry Participant
  • Frugal-phile (tm)
    • planet10-hifi
« Reply #48 on: 4 Jun 2010, 05:26 am »
CD player = Myryad MXC6000
iMac = 20" G5
FireWire DAC = Alesis io14
TT = Rega + Linn Basik + Garrott P77
Phono pre = battery powered diy based on the fancy National Semi OpAmps
Fornaco Pre-amp = diy, 6922 in a CC>CF config like a Foreplay, chassis ex Dyna SCA35 (hence For-naco)
DynaMutt Power Amp = push-pull EL34 development mule for Classic Valve Design input board
Speakers = various production & prototype planet10-hifi & Woden Design boxes with p10-hifi drivers (mostly based on Mark Audio & Fostex raw units)... right now the proto dMar-Ken7, deciSized miniOnken with Alpair 7 based driver.
forgot, Chinese subwoofer amp (PE house brand)

Any other questions :)

BTW: just the stuff in my main system

dave

wrathchild

• Bryston Ballistics
« Reply #49 on: 4 Jun 2010, 05:29 am »
Austria  Project TT
Japan    Cart Dynavector
Canada  Phonostg Sonic Frontiers
Canada  CD Bryston
Canada  Preamp Sonic Frontiers
Canada  Amps Bryston
Canada  sub  Mirage
Canada  Power Torus
Denmark  JBL sub
US         Magnapans
Canada  Paradigms
Canada  Mirage surrounds
Japan     Bluray Pioneer
Japan    Yamaha projector
China    Harman K Reciever 

vegasdave

« Reply #50 on: 4 Jun 2010, 01:38 pm »
Buy Dynaudio.  They are made in Denmark and offer service that rivals Bryston, less the 20 year warranty.  Though they still make drivers (in Denmark) for every speaker that they've made for the past 30+ years.  Dynaudio goes so far as to match a replacement driver to the original based on the measurements of the serial no. of the original speaker.

I don't know why you would need a replacement though, my little 1.3 SEs handle insane volumes with no sign of compression.  My friend is running Dyn C1s with a Krell FPB 750cx amp to incredible effect.  I cannot say that he is using 1500 watts into monitors but the sound quality is astounding even at incredible volumes!!!

Maybe it's time to try something new.  Pose the question to Rob808 whom owns Dyn 1.3 MkIIs and Special 25s.

Maybe. But, Dynaudio, at least here in the US, does not give you as much value for the money as JBL and Klipsch, am I wrong?

vegasdave

« Reply #51 on: 4 Jun 2010, 01:39 pm »
:idea: Subwoofer.

I don't really need it, imo.

math-geek

« Reply #52 on: 5 Jun 2010, 12:39 am »
Maybe. But, Dynaudio, at least here in the US, does not give you as much value for the money as JBL and Klipsch, am I wrong?

I will vigorously beg to differ.  Yes, you could buy a much larger JBL or Klipsch speaker for the same money.  You will be buying big sound and big volume.  Listen to a pair of Dynaudio monitors with a powerful amp though and I think that you will be more than pleasantly surprised by how "big" the sound.

You've seen my gallery, those tiny speakers reach near flat to 37 Hz and in room response is only down 3 db at 29 Hz.  That is only a part of the story though.  They have lightning fast transient response, holographic imaging, and a lack of compression even at insane volumes.  I have received numerous comments by other listeners that attest to the same.

I will grant that my Contour 1.3 SEs sold for $3500.00 in 2000, but they perform like a Ferrari, lots of smiles per mile.  What you are paying for is exceptional build quality.  Woofers with 3" aluminum voice coils and dual neodymium magnets. A tweeter with dual neodymium/cobalt hybrid magnets.  A Cabinet made with double walls isolated with viscoelastic material.  Each speaker has two crossovers, half of which shame 90% of the competition.  If you ever have a chance to listen to a pair you may become a believer.  The Contour 1.3 SE was the most purchased speaker by Dyns own engineers in the history of their company.  They are highly sought, rarely found and expensive, even used.

I really wish that you could hear what they are capable of, they would peel your hair back! :green:

Napalm

« Reply #53 on: 5 Jun 2010, 12:50 am »
math-geek: Our Vegas Dave is a hard :rock:.

We all respect Dynaudio here but for his application bigger is better and that goes exponential in price with the Dyns.

Nap.  :thumb:

vegasdave

« Reply #54 on: 5 Jun 2010, 01:27 am »
Well, yes, my main musical diet is hard rock and heavy metal. However, I listen to other genres as well.

I looked over the Dynaudios today at their website. Great stuff. The floorstander that attracted me most is the Focus 360.

What do you think of those, math-geek?

http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/systems/lines/focus/focus360.php#

At $7000 US retail price, it's $4000 or so less than the 1400 Arrays, which is attractive. The question is, would they sound as good or better than the JBLs? That's a difficult question to answer, unless by dumb luck I find a dealer that has both models *plus* Bryston equipment. We'll see what happens...

Napalm

« Reply #55 on: 5 Jun 2010, 01:35 am »
Vegas: they will certainly sound different. Now which one is "better" only you can tell. In the end it's a matter of taste.

But now that you are exploring outside the JBLs, may we interest you too in some British made PMCs or a cluster of Canadian made speakers???

vegasdave

« Reply #56 on: 5 Jun 2010, 02:31 am »
Vegas: they will certainly sound different. Now which one is "better" only you can tell. In the end it's a matter of taste.

But now that you are exploring outside the JBLs, may we interest you too in some British made PMCs or a cluster of Canadian made speakers???

Of course, Napalm, but my point is, I'd like to compare them in the same place, not separately!

Nah, PMC is too tough with that price, you don't get too much for the money with them.

Which Canadian made speakers?

Napalm

« Reply #57 on: 5 Jun 2010, 02:36 am »
Of course, Napalm, but my point is, I'd like to compare them in the same place, not separately!

Nah, PMC is too tough with that price, you don't get too much for the money with them.

Which Canadian made speakers?

How about Paradigm Reference and Signature series, they're Made in Canada?

Nap.

vegasdave

« Reply #58 on: 5 Jun 2010, 03:06 am »
How about Paradigm Reference and Signature series, they're Made in Canada?

Nap.

I haven't heard Paradigm in a long time, so I need a refresher course. What's the difference between Reference and Signature?

math-geek

« Reply #59 on: 5 Jun 2010, 03:18 am »
Well, yes, my main musical diet is hard rock and heavy metal. However, I listen to other genres as well.

I looked over the Dynaudios today at their website. Great stuff. The floorstander that attracted me most is the Focus 360.

What do you think of those, math-geek?

http://www.dynaudio.com/eng/systems/lines/focus/focus360.php#

At $7000 US retail price, it's $4000 or so less than the 1400 Arrays, which is attractive. The question is, would they sound as good or better than the JBLs? That's a difficult question to answer, unless by dumb luck I find a dealer that has both models *plus* Bryston equipment. We'll see what happens...

That Esotar T330D tweeter in the Focus 360 is going to sound incredible!  Rob808 here on the Bryston Forum owns Dyn Special 25s.  If you are wondering or wanting to learn more please feel free to ask on the AVS Dynaudio owners thread.  There are gentleman on there whom own the Focus 360 and can give you better input than I.  How about a pair of Evidence Temptations?  Mmmmm! :P

What I can say is that I have never heard a pair of speakers this size do justice to Metallica, Mastadon, Dio or Pantera the way these Dyns do.  They do need tons of power to sing though.  With your Bryston it is a non issue though! :green:

I heard a pair of Dyn C1s powered by a Krell FPB 750cx and it was damn near mind altering!  Bookshelf speakers my a#$!  Pulse input of a raw Dyn tweeter is 1000 watts!  They are like Frankenstein's monster feed them and...