Sneak Peak

Mad Mr H

Sneak Peak
« on: 23 Jul 2009, 01:29 am »

This is in the build stage so not complete, not even wired yet, but speakers arrived last night, all 5 x PMC MB2 are in place now, picture only shows one (In case you missed it  :o)

Can you spot the Brystons  :wink: There are four in this picture.
« Last Edit: 23 Jul 2009, 08:01 am by Mad Mr H »

Robert D

Re: Sneak Peak
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jul 2009, 02:29 am »
Looks Great !

Keep the Pic's Coming !

Robert

drummermitchell

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jul 2009, 03:40 pm »
Mad Mr H,I like your MB-2s :thumb:.
I wonder what size a room they can work in,small to midsize or both

Mad Mr H

« Reply #3 on: 23 Jul 2009, 09:25 pm »
Well the five are going in a room about 10 foot wide by about 17 foot.

The room has about 90% coverage for acoustic panels on walls and ceiling.

So massive reduction in reflected sound, this helps in the smaller room.

Still not heard them!

Lots of work to do then I hope the weekend will give me some time.....

Andy.

Viajero5000

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2009, 05:24 pm »
Any progress on this project?

Mad Mr H

« Reply #5 on: 31 Jul 2009, 09:16 am »
Hi, Yes,

Had them running last Saturday, temp wire up.

There were too many boxes in the room to post more pictures......

Think 5xMB2's plus five boxes bigger than MB2's plus everything else.......

I am still waiting one Black ash rack that is 1 week away,

Will post more pics at the weekend,

My BB5's are ready  :drool: :drool: :drool: for the 2ch system..........

Viajero5000

« Reply #6 on: 31 Jul 2009, 03:03 pm »
are they all passive? (I notice you have some PMC branded amps).

Mad Mr H

« Reply #7 on: 31 Jul 2009, 07:11 pm »
I bought the PMC BB5 demo amp rack - all the amps  :wink:

They have the SST2 series now.

so they came from an active BB5XBD rig

Thats why I have six PMC Active amps - They are modified and I agree with the concept of the mods, infact I would like all mine done the same.

My BB5 will start life passive in a Tri Amp mode.

Andy.

Viajero5000

« Reply #8 on: 31 Jul 2009, 08:18 pm »
nice one  :wink:

let me know the results you get from single vs tri-amping your passive speakers.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #9 on: 1 Aug 2009, 08:25 am »
Hi,

The MB2 5ch is Bi Amp for the L C R set.

Bi Amp with a pair of 7B SST for the L & R and a 14B SST for the C.

With no room eq running and just factory settings I first ran single amp to L & R then Bi Amp, there is a clear change in the mid/hi in bi amp mode.

(I tend to use the word change rather than better until I have test results  :wink:)

Today I hope to be able to find the time to run room eq tests per speaker, these are my own manual tests. The Onkyo 886 and Lexicon MC12Bv5EQ both offer room eq, the onkyo allows manual control the Lex does not, real shame as I would like to seemanual control or even the results of the lex system.....

The route of single to Bi to Tri amp on the BB5 reaches a mid point in the journey I plan for them.

Stage 1 : BB5 and single mono amp per ch with basic cables
Stage 2 : add second amp per ch and speaker/interconnect cables
Stage 3 : add third amp per ch and speaker/interconnect cables
Stage 4 : add active x overs and final cables

This journey allows the system to be bought in stages and each stage is maintained within the next stage - this brings with it a viable upgrade path that allows the purchase of items that will be kept in the final system.

So lets say you get your speakers (dont have to be BB5's) and a small amp eg 3B SST, that can be used to start with and although known to be underp powered moved to mid/hi then hi in stage 2 and 3 of above whilst funds are found for 4b , 7B etc.

I am currently at stage 3, I was running 3 way active with my Tannoy Buckinghams with bryston amps. This was also BSS x overs, but the current thought is that the BB5 internal xover should be better than the BSS omnidrive units I have (I also have BSS soundweb and a number of analogue x overs). Bryston 10B x overs is the final goal and then turn the BB5 to active.

The only issue there is that PMC then use a more powerful driver in the mid/hf (can't remember which) in an active cab. Thats due to the larger power ability of the system, that wont be an issue for me, mine is for hi fi use and not studio max SPL use......

Breakfast for me (UK time) then into my padded room for the day..........

Oh and some pics for you guys  :drool:

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #10 on: 1 Aug 2009, 08:36 am »
Hi Andi,
with your post you answer some of questions I sent to you by PM (check you inbox " my messages" box on the top ).
The only question that remains is whether you can go from MB2 passive to MB2 active as there is a change is the tweeter which is abvious.
Daniel

Viajero5000

« Reply #11 on: 1 Aug 2009, 09:18 am »
Do you plan to activate the speaker yourself? I don't think PMC will be keen to do this for you. The difference in the tweeter should not be an issue for a home use system.

Mad Mr H

« Reply #12 on: 1 Aug 2009, 12:48 pm »
Hi Andi,
with your post you answer some of questions I sent to you by PM (check you inbox " my messages" box on the top ).
The only question that remains is whether you can go from MB2 passive to MB2 active as there is a change is the tweeter which is abvious.
Daniel

Hi, for some reason I can only read my PM's.

I cant send or answer any.

you can go active from passive in any speaker.
Active to passive requires addition of original x over.

You should know what you are doing and it is NOT usual for anyone to do this.

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #13 on: 1 Aug 2009, 12:56 pm »
Hi Andy,
maybe you are right, but prior to go for such a step I would like to discuss this matter with PMC people for same advise.
Daniel

Mad Mr H

« Reply #14 on: 1 Aug 2009, 01:07 pm »
Do you plan to activate the speaker yourself? I don't think PMC will be keen to do this for you. The difference in the tweeter should not be an issue for a home use system.

DIY - Yes in time, But I need the 10B's first and thats not a near future plan at the mo. They also need to be modified.......

Its NOT a sensible thing for most people to consider, I have done this many times in many systems and have the test kit to set up. So I would not suggest others consider this..........

Mad Mr H

« Reply #15 on: 1 Aug 2009, 01:15 pm »
Active systems are usually used to gain higher SPL's.

That's not a normal domestic requirement.

I went active with my Tannoy Buckinghams as the original passive cross over was damaged and I had the kit to go active.

jethro

« Reply #16 on: 1 Aug 2009, 02:19 pm »

Thats why I have six PMC Active amps - They are modified and I agree with the concept of the mods, infact I would like all mine done the same.

Andy,

Are these amps modified by Bryston and or PMC or is this a 3rd party mod ?
What kind of changes do they have ? I have a 3B-ST PRO and an 8B-ST PRO with the
PMC logo on the front (doesn't say active) but I think they are the same as the regular
Bryston.

--Steve

Mad Mr H

« Reply #17 on: 1 Aug 2009, 03:02 pm »
They are PMC modified into their "standard active" amps.

This moves the limit control into the crossover rather than the amp.

With 20yr cover I would not want 3rd party mods.......

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #18 on: 1 Aug 2009, 04:15 pm »
Hi,
I think Mr. Tanner can light up the situation with PMC as the two company have a long partnership.
For MB2-A I think PMC are using 8B, 2 of the sections connected in bridge mode and the remaining two feeding mid and tweeter.
Daniel

Viajero5000

« Reply #19 on: 1 Aug 2009, 09:47 pm »
PMC currently uses the 875HT amp for the MB2-A and 4x7B (woofer) plus 2x3Bs, or sometimes 2x4Bs (mid/tweeter) for the MB2 XBD-A.  The latter system is therefore the more capable one even without considering the XBD module. The 875HT is also not listed as a 'square series' amp on the Bryston website.