What power cord are you using with your Bryston amp?

boead

Re: What power cord are you using with your Bryston amp?
« Reply #20 on: 8 Aug 2006, 12:15 pm »
I use the stock cords that came with the pair of 7B-SST.

The only reliable way to evaluate a power cord (or any piece of gear) is double blind. If that protocol is not followed, what have you accomplished? The placebo effect - one just spent 10s or 100s of dollars on a cable that all the hype says will make an obvious improvement - is the only thing that is obvious in such experiments.

Have you ever tried another power cord on any of your gear?

Double blind or whatever?

boead

« Reply #21 on: 8 Aug 2006, 12:29 pm »

I'm glad Bryston is an sound engineering company and as such their electronics will always be true to the source. That's what I'm looking for in my audio system.

So does being a tech rep for an audio electronics company equate to being an authority? I won’t argue if you say yes, it sounds solid enough to me, especially if such tech is an audio engineer and a member of AES.

Do you guys also have respect for companies like BAT (Balanced Audio Technologies)? They are highly praised for their gear. How about Krell or Mark Levinson?

The proprietor of BAT will simply and plainly tell you that power cords DO make a sonic difference and although they don’t sell any and he won’t necessarily recommend one specific brand, he will suggest you go listen to some. He will also tell you that different brand tubes and IC’s make a sonic difference too.

There are plenty of Audio designers that will admit that ‘everything’ effects the sound of their gear but the extent may be of low significance to them since they can change a resistor or capacitor and get many times the difference in sound compared to a piece of wire but they will not make a blanket comment that it is foolish or a placebo that a power cord or tube or IC can and does make a difference.

For every ‘expert’ and AES member that says only a fool believes in such nonsense there are an equal number of respected engineers that say the contrary.

So don’t put much value into what people say.  Trust your own ears.

bgewaudio

« Reply #22 on: 8 Aug 2006, 12:38 pm »
Basically, with regards to AC power, from the plant to the transformer is virtually noise free, because the transformer sort of acts like a line filter, smoothing out the voltage.  It's not until the power is released from the transformer to your home is where you get the interference, and power fluctuations from the 10 or so other people working off the same transformer.

I can only see power cords donating a small amount in helping to rectify this:

Thicker gauge to minimize resistance.

Gold plated or silver contacts for better conductivity and less oxidization.

More dielectric to further reduce EMI/RF interference.

PS.  The more dielectric material used limits the inteligibility of current flow.

bgewaudio

« Reply #23 on: 8 Aug 2006, 01:16 pm »
Hey, do you guy's think having some type of noise trap on a power cord would benefit?

boead

« Reply #24 on: 8 Aug 2006, 03:16 pm »
Hey, do you guy's think having some type of noise trap on a power cord would benefit?

K Works Empowered Cord has just that and I like it better then a Power conditioner.

http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3_31&products_id=667

Phil A

« Reply #25 on: 8 Aug 2006, 04:08 pm »
I think a lot of people believe (not me, I've heard differences) that if something is adequately designed to get the current/electricity the 6 ft. from the wall to the component that is the end of the story (to each their own - I am not here to convert anyone).  Yes it will get the same amt. of voltage flow.  You can measure that but not soundstage height, width or depth.  Lead piping will adequately get the flow of water the last 6 ft. too - but I'm not drinking from it.  Cable cos. are similar too.  You can sit at different spots on the same cable grid and not get identical reception from the same co.  You can buy noise traps to stick on each end of the power cord.  Just make sure they are not so tight as to really pinch the cord.  With all the above being said, the most overlooked component in most peoples systems, is the room itself.

bgewaudio

« Reply #26 on: 8 Aug 2006, 04:58 pm »
Thanks guy's, So Boead, you have one of these cords?

bgewaudio

« Reply #27 on: 8 Aug 2006, 05:01 pm »
I agree Phil, I also think the room is the most overlooked component of all, your gear only makes up about 60% of your sonic performance, the other 40% is you listening room! :D

Double Ugly

« Reply #28 on: 8 Aug 2006, 05:38 pm »
With all the above being said, the most overlooked component in most peoples systems, is the room itself.

Without a doubt.

boead

« Reply #29 on: 8 Aug 2006, 09:42 pm »
Thanks guy's, So Boead, you have one of these cords?

Yes, I have two. One on my USB-DAC, the other on my SACD Player.

I use Harmonic Tech AC-10's on my CD Player, Preamp and PS Audio Juice Bar.

I use a Harmonic Tech AC-11 on my sub woofer.

I use a Kimber Model 10 gold on my amp.

I use a Furman Elite 15 power conditioner for my AV receiver, turntable, TV, Cable Box, powered speakers for read and center channels and HT sub only.

BTW: I've had the opportunity to try, without exaggerations, dozens of different brand/model power cords and they all sound different. Price does not necessarily dictate performance and I try to spend as litter as I can. I have NO desire to spend a lot, where it doesn’t matter I use stock power cords, like on my AV receiver and powered speakers for surround. But unfortunately I appreciate the improvements I hear with certain cords and the absence of conditioning for my 2-channel gear that I am forced into using them. So I hunt for the cheapest, used products I can find. Sacrificing cosmetic condition for price.

bgewaudio

« Reply #30 on: 9 Aug 2006, 01:00 pm »
Boead, of all the power cords you've tried, which ones did you find gave the highest value of diminishing returns? i.e, best performance for the dollar?

boead

« Reply #31 on: 9 Aug 2006, 03:55 pm »
Boead, of all the power cords you've tried, which ones did you find gave the highest value of diminishing returns? i.e, best performance for the dollar?

Harmonic Tech AC-11

Phil A

« Reply #32 on: 9 Aug 2006, 05:00 pm »
I have a friend who tried the LAT Int'l (www.latinternational.com) power cord with his 9BSST and he likes it.  It is not outrageously expensive.  If you want something more reasonable you can go to places like  www.newark.com and get a Belden or other shielded SJT 14 ga. cord.  They usually come in lengths of 6'7" or 9'7" from memory.  They just require you attach the plug.  A good plug can be bought from them (e.g. Hubbell) for around $12.

caleb

« Reply #33 on: 10 Aug 2006, 03:24 pm »
The standard mains lead supplied with most equipment is popularly called a "Kettle Plug".

Now just for the hell of it - I replaced my standard plug on my kettle with a smart new fat jobbie - and guess what - not only did the kettle not boil any quicker - but the tea didn't taste an better either.

ROTFL! ! :lol: :roll:

embryas

« Reply #34 on: 30 Aug 2006, 12:14 pm »
I use Audioplan Power Cord S for all my equipment. With every device I noted a clear improvement, thus I use these cables. Powerstar is used as multiple socket outlet.

By the way: they write about James question why a short piece of cable should influence the sound the following:

"Up to the plug socket (according to regulation) massif leaders have to be used, that may be used however because of their rigidity only in the walls or in devices. For equipment supply flexible lines are prescribed. Underground and under finery the lines are firmly embedded and not oscillations as the airborne sound by loudspeaker acoustic irradiation suspended. Flexible lines can be energized more easily and receive with their larger surface also more high frequency disturbances from air (radio and telephone service)."
Sorry, Audioplan is a German company with only German website and translation is by BabelFish, I hope it is understandable.

MoodyDragon

« Reply #35 on: 31 Aug 2006, 02:52 pm »
Furutech power cord.
Had a spare one from a Furutech power conditioner and used it on the amp. I am in no doubt there is a mild improvement.... and yes, it is noticeable with the music being less 'in my face' The question that remains to be answered is whether the cable is actually making the sound more laid back because it is decreasing the dynamic range of the music... in any case, the sound is better to my ears.

On the other hand, using the JPS digital cable did nothing that I could hear for the sound of my Sony XA777es sacd player.

Phil A

« Reply #36 on: 31 Aug 2006, 05:22 pm »
While I do believe cables can make a difference, I do not necessarily like the manner in which they are marketed.  Here is a post that is a couple of yrs. old from audiogon.com with regards to the JPS digital cord:

"In Reply to: JPS digital cable... posted by rp1@surfnetusa.com on April 16, 2004 at 13:49:34:

This french site sells a Eupen GNLM 2.5mm2 power cord for 60 Euro (1m). Add 30 Euro for an additional meter.
http://www.ndi-france.com/index.php3?hifi=Eupen&disp=art&articleID=12
"

Someone apparently took off the expandable sleeving or jacket and found the JPS is nothing more than something sold a whole lot cheaper in Europe.

bgewaudio

« Reply #37 on: 1 Sep 2006, 04:37 pm »
Proof is in the cable!

This is another reason why I don't buy into the whole high end cable marketing gimmicks.  I believe if a cable is of reasonable construction with all variables being equal (i.e. low inductance, low capacitance and low resistance), there is not much difference between it and a high end cable.  Manufactures will often play with each one of these variables to obtain a certain sonic character for the cable but that is about it, you're paying more for the name than anything.

john1970

« Reply #38 on: 1 Sep 2006, 05:25 pm »
Proof is in the cable!

This is another reason why I don't buy into the whole high end cable marketing gimmicks.  I believe if a cable is of reasonable construction with all variables being equal (i.e. low inductance, low capacitance and low resistance), there is not much difference between it and a high end cable.  Manufactures will often play with each one of these variables to obtain a certain sonic character for the cable but that is about it, you're paying more for the name than anything.

A very good point to make and my feelings exactly!!

John

boead

« Reply #39 on: 1 Sep 2006, 06:08 pm »
The standard mains lead supplied with most equipment is popularly called a "Kettle Plug".

Now just for the hell of it - I replaced my standard plug on my kettle with a smart new fat jobbie - and guess what - not only did the kettle not boil any quicker - but the tea didn't taste an better either.

ROTFL! ! :lol: :roll:

Apparently you found that funny but I don’t get it. What does your tea pot have to do with audio?