BCD - ?

Daniel Datchev

Re: BCD - ?
« Reply #20 on: 2 Mar 2016, 04:06 pm »
I've bought 2 spare CD drives VAM-1201/2 and stored them in case of failure.

Marius

« Reply #21 on: 2 Mar 2016, 04:06 pm »
seems to all depend on your perspective:
BOT being a cd-playing ripper, or the new BCD-x being a Cd-ripping player. Not, apparently. Which is too bad, for one is still in need of two (both) cd-drives when wanting to rip and play to the best of Bryston's possibilities...

That is of course one can hear the difference between a cd rip and the original, and judge the former is the better ;)

Cheers,
Marius

Sound quality purposes this cdp alone vs the (bdp-2 and bda-2). As most of the files being played in the bdp are ripped cd's.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #22 on: 2 Mar 2016, 05:25 pm »
seems to all depend on your perspective:
BOT being a cd-playing ripper, or the new BCD-x being a Cd-ripping player. Not, apparently. Which is too bad, for one is still in need of two (both) cd-drives when wanting to rip and play to the best of Bryston's possibilities...

That is of course one can hear the difference between a cd rip and the original, and judge the former is the better ;)

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius

Engineering tells me to put the BOT circuitry into the new CD Player would be a complete new redesign.

james

1ZIP

« Reply #23 on: 2 Mar 2016, 07:25 pm »
I've bought 2 spare CD drives VAM-1201/2 and stored them in case of failure.

I have 2 BCD's, but I'm really looking forward to the BCD-X and hearing what improvements have been made to an already excellent player.  For those thinking of upgrading, there is a pretty good used market for the BCD-1.

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #24 on: 2 Mar 2016, 08:29 pm »
James,
which DAC are you going to implement in the new BCD-X?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #25 on: 2 Mar 2016, 08:30 pm »
James,
which DAC are you going to implement in the new BCD-X?

The ones we use in the BDA-3 DAC - AKM 4490

james

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #26 on: 2 Mar 2016, 08:45 pm »
I would expect to have digital playback devices (USB, CD, digital player) going IN to a DAC.

Rather than re-creating another CD player that can connect to a BDP (which requires a whole new design), I'd rather see a BDP with an integrated CD drive, if it can be done without compromising the sound quality.

If the power supply and CD noise isn't an issue, all that should be required is a chassis. A CD drive should be able to connect to a BDP as a USB device (already the default input on a BDP) or one of the internal SATA connectors.

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #27 on: 2 Mar 2016, 08:50 pm »
Hi Marius

Engineering tells me to put the BOT circuitry into the new CD Player would be a complete new redesign.

james

...but i am sure that you guys know how to do it :wink:

and James, have you ever thought of an "all in one" unit?? i mean something like a (sa)cd player with 5 or 6 digital inputs, including ethernet connection, headphone output, volume control to use it as a preamp and all the bells and whistles of today's needed connections to listen to music?!?

al.

Silverbullet

« Reply #28 on: 2 Mar 2016, 09:40 pm »
This discussion is somewhat prone to be circular. There are a myriad of different scenarios for a new CD player including those mentioned, just a transport with no DAC in various configs (digital outs, USB, HDMI etc), SACD etc.

The BOT has write capability as well so there would need to be a compromise on the transport if some of these options were considered.

Bryston is obviously trying to make the best CD player they can at the best price they can achieve and I applaud them for that. Anything else means compromise and then someone else would criticize it.

Daniel Datchev

« Reply #29 on: 2 Mar 2016, 09:56 pm »
Reading a lot of reviews over the years as all of the members of this forum, I without doubt believe that whatever unit will be build by Bryston, it will be with the only aim, to reproduce music without alteration.

techguy0192

« Reply #30 on: 2 Mar 2016, 10:24 pm »
Any plans for this CD player to leverage the MPS-2 power supply as an option?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 2 Mar 2016, 10:58 pm »
Any plans for this CD player to leverage the MPS-2 power supply as an option?

No the CD player has 2 separate internal power supplies - one for analog stages and one for digital - so a single outboard power supply would not work as well.

james

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #32 on: 3 Mar 2016, 06:40 am »
The ones we use in the BDA-3 DAC - AKM 4490

james
So does that mean it will a chip for each channel ?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #33 on: 3 Mar 2016, 09:22 am »
So does that mean it will a chip for each channel ?

Yes.

james

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #34 on: 3 Mar 2016, 02:34 pm »
 Thanks  James. This just gets  better all the time :thumb: So looking forward to this new player....

rmurray

« Reply #35 on: 4 Mar 2016, 08:34 pm »
 James;Hoping for the new player soon . :bowdown: What would be the approx price? :thumb:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #36 on: 5 Mar 2016, 01:37 am »
James;Hoping for the new player soon . :bowdown: What would be the approx price? :thumb:

We are assuming $3500 but a little early yet.

James

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #37 on: 5 Mar 2016, 09:29 am »
...uh! not exactly much cheaper than the BCD-1 when it was released (it was around 3000!?!).
must be a unique unit. very excited about it!

and hopefully the display is much larger....

al.

R. Daneel

« Reply #38 on: 5 Mar 2016, 03:10 pm »
James, which CD drive are you going to use? The Sony KSS-213 perhaps? Onkyo and Exposure use this one and it seems to be reliable.

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #39 on: 5 Mar 2016, 03:44 pm »
James, which CD drive are you going to use? The Sony KSS-213 perhaps? Onkyo and Exposure use this one and it seems to be reliable.

Cheers!
Antun

I know its the Sony - will find out which model.

james