how to prevent hiss from speakers

Marius

Re: how to prevent hiss from speakers
« Reply #60 on: 20 Jun 2016, 02:16 pm »
Replace your speakers. Or as Rod says, try another high-quality preamp. Get your dealer to lend you a BP17 or even an integrated.

Hi,

Ive done all that ;-)
Mafico was so kind to lend me another BP26 + Power, I've tried 3 different sets of speakers.

Maybe i should wait some 10 more years for my ear bones to grow stiff.

Honestly, I may have to conclude it is the sound of the combo 28b/BP26. Some are able to hear it, some don't.

Marius

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
  • Skepticism is the engine of progress
    • Hearing Everything That Nothing Can Measure
« Reply #61 on: 20 Jun 2016, 02:23 pm »
Geez, that's really bad luck. Did your check your power distributor (try a different distributor/conditioner, plugged into a different wall outlet)?

Have you tried checking the integrity of the wall plugs on all the power cords feeding your 1. amps 2. sources?  Tried swapping to a different cord (newer) on your amps?

Marius

« Reply #62 on: 20 Jun 2016, 02:35 pm »
Geez, that's really bad luck. Did your check your power distributor (try a different distributor/conditioner, plugged into a different wall outlet)?
No havent. since i have a dedicated 20 amp one for my music, i figured i shouldn't. Ill give it a try anyhow, one can never know...Thanks for nudging.
Marius

Just did test another wall outlet (has another grounding pin too): no change,  the subtle hiss remains.

Did flip the balanced/unbalanced switch on the 28b, et voila, hiss was gone. now that's dead silent! Too bad no unbalanced amp is connected...

Cheers,
Marius

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #63 on: 20 Jun 2016, 02:41 pm »
Quote:
Did flip the balanced/unbalanced switch on the 28b, et voila, hiss was gone. now that's dead silent! Too bad no unbalanced amp is connected...

Cheers,
Marius
--------------------------------
That's good news.
BP26 has SE outputs as well?

Marius

« Reply #64 on: 20 Jun 2016, 02:46 pm »

BP26 has SE outputs as well?

Sure it does. My setup was designed  to be balanced from source to power amp though.. Not sure if i want to adjust that, while something else might be going on.

Only thing not tested yet: the balanced cabling from bp26 to 28b... Could it be?

CanadianMaestro

• Restricted
« Reply #65 on: 20 Jun 2016, 04:16 pm »

Only thing not tested yet: the balanced cabling from bp26 to 28b... Could it be?

You used the same bal cables with other amps, right? Still hissed?

Marius

« Reply #66 on: 20 Jun 2016, 05:02 pm »
You used the same bal cables with other amps, right? Still hissed?

Yes i used the exact cables with the other BP26. Same its, as reported before.

Marius

« Reply #67 on: 20 Jun 2016, 06:42 pm »
Will be trying some further this week.
James, i completely forgot about unbalanced connection between pre and power-amps, can/should i use the same cables as between Source and Pre? Or would you advice anything dedicated.

Cheers,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #68 on: 20 Jun 2016, 07:19 pm »
Will be trying some further this week.
James, i completely forgot about unbalanced connection between pre and power-amps, can/should i use the same cables as between Source and Pre? Or would you advice anything dedicated.

Cheers,
Marius

Hi Marius

Not sure I understand - you are now using Balanced and want to go to single ended ?? - If so then any quality single ended cable is fine. What distance are you dealing with?

james

Marius

« Reply #69 on: 20 Jun 2016, 07:25 pm »
Hi Marius

Not sure I understand - you are now using Balanced and want to go to single ended ?? - If so then any quality single ended cable is fine. What distance are you dealing with?

james

Yes, I'd rather not and stay balanced, but trying single ended, only for testing purposes . See wether the hiss will go. About 2 meters .

Any thoughts on the balanced cable, could it be wrongly made and cause the hiss?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #70 on: 20 Jun 2016, 07:45 pm »
Yes, I'd rather not and stay balanced, but trying single ended, only for testing purposes . See wether the hiss will go. About 2 meters .

Any thoughts on the balanced cable, could it be wrongly made and cause the hiss?

The balanced cable (circuits) will add 6dB of gain so the hiss would be more obvious in a sensitive system.  Balanced lines are useful when you run long lengths of cable so at 2 meters single ended will be fine and if it reduces your hiss issue it may be the better option.

james

Marius

« Reply #71 on: 20 Jun 2016, 08:13 pm »
and how to proceed with my 10bsub pro? It has only balanced xlr's...? So no option to choose unbalanced using that?

Marius

The balanced cable (circuits) will add 6dB of gain so the hiss would be more obvious in a sensitive system.  Balanced lines are useful when you run long lengths of cable so at 2 meters single ended will be fine and if it reduces your hiss issue it may be the better option.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #72 on: 20 Jun 2016, 09:19 pm »
and how to proceed with my 10bsub pro? It has only balanced xlr's...? So no option to choose unbalanced using that?

Marius

You can by using an XLR to RCA adapter cable.

james

Marius

« Reply #73 on: 21 Jun 2016, 07:40 am »
You can by using an XLR to RCA adapter cable.

james

Really? Isn't the 10bsub pro a balanced device all together? Switching cables doesn't make it an unbalanced device does it?  :scratch:
Where to put the adapters? Both nn the 10bsub in (coming from the bp26)  and out  (going to the 28b in) or only the latter?

Would this:

imply i need only 2 adapters to the power amp? If so, here to put them: at the 10bsub side, or at the 28b side.

how many db do we cut this way James? the full 6 db difference between balanced and unbalanced, or only half, since we still use the balanced outs of the pre....

Thanks,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #74 on: 21 Jun 2016, 10:42 am »

Really? Isn't the 10bsub pro a balanced device all together? Switching cables doesn't make it an unbalanced device does it?  :scratch:
Where to put the adapters? Both nn the 10bsub in (coming from the bp26)  and out  (going to the 28b in) or only the latter?

Would this:

imply i need only 2 adapters to the power amp? If so, here to put them: at the 10bsub side, or at the 28b side.

how many db do we cut this way James? the full 6 db difference between balanced and unbalanced, or only half, since we still use the balanced outs of the pre....

Thanks,
Marius

Hi Marius

It does not matter which end as once one end is unbalanced the line reverts to single ended.  It reduces it by another 6dB. 

james

Marius

« Reply #75 on: 21 Jun 2016, 10:51 am »
Hi Marius

It does not matter which end as once one end is unbalanced the line reverts to single ended.  It reduces it by another 6dB. 

james

Ok James, thank you.

To be sure: i can use the balanced outs (XLR) of the BP26 into the 10bsub pro, and from there on use the balanced outs (again still XLR) to the power amp, and at the inputs of the 28b's put in the xlr-rca adapter and use the single ended input?

No harm done but reduce 6 db?
Shielding against noise (main reason for me to use balanced cabling) still functional up to the power amps?

btw James, the explanation of the AES XLR regulation concerning the pins

coudn't somehow be the cause of any hiss? Maybe my cable maker was mistaken in this layout, and correcting this might result in a dead silent system?

Cheers,
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #76 on: 21 Jun 2016, 10:58 am »

Ok James, thank you.

To be sure: i can use the balanced outs (XLR) of the BP26 into the 10bsub pro, and from there on use the balanced outs (again still XLR) to the power amp, and at the inputs of the 28b's put in the xlr-rca adapter and use the single ended input?

No harm done but reduce 6 db?
Shielding against noise (main reason for me to use balanced cabling) still functional up to the power amps?

Cheers,
Marius

Correct  :thumb:

james

Marius

« Reply #77 on: 21 Jun 2016, 11:36 am »
Correct  :thumb:

james

Cool, thank you sir!

Order placed: http://www.thomann.de/nl/neutrik_na_2_fpmm.htm

Happy experimenting.