No more BCD-1?

sweetspot

No more BCD-1?
« on: 30 Oct 2011, 10:08 pm »
I just read an interview with Brian Russell on the Hi-Fi Unlimited web site, where he says that Bryston has stopped shipping the bcd-1,due to Phillips ceasing production of the disc drive.As a proud owner of this great player,I was just wondering how much longer will parts be available if the need arises?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: No more BCD-1?
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2011, 10:11 pm »
I just read an interview with Brian Russell on the Hi-Fi Unlimited web site, where he says that Bryston has stopped shipping the bcd-1,due to Phillips ceasing production of the disc drive.As a proud owner of this great player,I was just wondering how much longer will parts be available if the need arises?

Hi

We are still manufacturing for a while and have a few hundred drives which we will keep for warranty issues or repair going forward.

James

sweetspot

« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2011, 10:16 pm »
 :wave:
 Thanks James, for that quick reply!

spinner

« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2011, 12:26 am »
  I recently bought  the BCD1. Now ,what are the chances of swapping the drive in the future with another unit of same or better performance. I hate the idea that Bryston could let this great player become unplayable............. :evil:

redbook

• the music is the blood...........
« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2011, 12:32 am »
  Yes , the idea that my BCD-1 will become junk sucks big time. James said once that another drive could be installed if there is room. I think there's room, right? Let's explore the possibilities. :scratch:

rmurray

« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2011, 12:44 am »
Is there a cd-rom unit that would fit and could the clock be set the same as now with the dac section ?

headshrinker2

« Reply #6 on: 31 Oct 2011, 12:50 am »
Wow. That is sad news.  I love my BCD-1.  A few hours ago, I was reading about it in the latest issue of Absolute Sound (i.e. pg 128). 

redbook

« Reply #7 on: 31 Oct 2011, 02:21 am »
 Yes , this is a turn off for me. I hope James and the gang can offer some definitive alternatives to keeping our great players doing what they do so well. I do not want to start a new quest for some other brand.  :sad:

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2011, 02:21 am »
I chose the BCD-1 as a replacement for another manufacturer's product for this exact same reason - the drive failed and the manufacturer was unable to offer a replacement because Phillips had discontinued it. I would sure like to think that I didn't just land in the same jackpot again and that there is going to be a workaround for this.
The BCD-1 hasn't been in production for all that long...

D.D.     

spinner

« Reply #9 on: 31 Oct 2011, 02:27 am »
 I agree 100%. I have had this unit only long enough to get it broken in. I thought that Bryston might come out with a second version and use some other drive. (and not just ceasing production).........................  please, please tell me it will be  O.K.!  :o

Diamond Dog

« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2011, 02:33 am »

I think the choice of a drive which is utterly dedicated to Redbook may be part of the problem. Not many other manufacturers chose to go that route so Phillips may have ditched it due to numbers.

D.D.

spinner

« Reply #11 on: 31 Oct 2011, 02:39 am »
So, James, would there be another Phillps model that would fit as a replacement should you run out of parts Thanks............. :|

Diamond Dog

« Reply #12 on: 31 Oct 2011, 04:10 am »

Volks, actual Bryston customers are discussing an issue here which concerns us ( not sure how this actually concerns you at this stage ) so if you would excuse us, none of us really want to come out and play with you right now. As has been noted, it's really getting a bit old and frankly, a little sad. Have you nothing better to do or nowhere else to go? Please, enough already.

D.D.

BrysTony

« Reply #13 on: 31 Oct 2011, 04:26 am »
None of this is any surprise at all to me..............Brystons "Glory Boy" is the BDP 1 now and lets face it....their amps are settled for a while(SST2) series.....the preamps as well.........their R&D has poured into the BDP 1....not to mention their Ad's online/Audio Mag's and at the Audio Shows....all the rave is about the BDP 1....the BCD 1 is history.....and sadly so are CD's soon enough(with Bryston and other barnds driving the stake deeper into the CD market to kill it) by pushing the BDP 1 and ending the BCD 1 only after 3-4 years(?) ....hey no worry....slap another what...$4200(BDP and BDA 1) on the counter and you got a thumb drive music box(romantic i know) that plays better then their own BCD 1......See if Bryston will take "Trade Ins" for the BCD 1 for the BDP 1 thumb Drive player :)  :thumb:
Volks,
Electronics parts obsolescence does not surprise anyone that is at all familiar with electronics manufacture.  You want to call out Bryston for the short life of the BCD-1 when McIntosh has come out with more than a dozen CDPs in the last 20 years.  I really don't mind that you have chosen to become a blue meter worshipper - whatever floats your boat.  But please take your rants and raves against Bryston somewhere else.  I have had enough of it. 

Tony

VOLKS

« Reply #14 on: 31 Oct 2011, 05:42 am »
My Apologies guys.I will remove it.

redbook

« Reply #15 on: 31 Oct 2011, 10:53 am »
 Non the less, I am hoping James can offer some idea of a drive refit . Volks , I share your view of letting the CD thing slip away. Our hope then is to assume things will endure as has the LP and our great player, as well as others, will always be around. :thumb:

spinner

« Reply #16 on: 31 Oct 2011, 10:56 am »
Chris Russell said in the mag "they have stopped shipping". This would mean the rest of their current drives will be held in reserve. I think that's what James meant as well.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 31 Oct 2011, 11:08 am »
Chris Russell said in the mag "they have stopped shipping". This would mean the rest of their current drives will be held in reserve. I think that's what James meant as well.

It was Brian not Chris but we still are shipping CD players as we still have a number of drives for production.  We are looking for more Phillips drives as well as we are hoping in some warehouse somewhere there are a few hundred gathering dust.  Also we have bought hundreds of extra drive parts so fixing drives should not be an issue moving forward.

We have looked at other drives but the problem is as some have said - Redbook dedicated drives with proper clocking frequencies.

james

spinner

« Reply #18 on: 31 Oct 2011, 11:28 am »
 Thanks James, that is a comfort. So, there are parts to fix the existing drives! I understand the most likely problem to occur is the laser burning out. Is this correct?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 31 Oct 2011, 12:00 pm »
Thanks James, that is a comfort. So, there are parts to fix the existing drives! I understand the most likely problem to occur is the laser burning out. Is this correct?

We have not had any issues with lasers so far.

James