ACA 2b

mbarnes

• http://www.norh.com
ACA 2b
« on: 5 Apr 2003, 05:47 pm »
Announcing the ACA 2b.  The ACA 2b is our new preamp.  The ACA 2b is a Class A tube preamp.  It uses either the 6922 or the 6DJ8 output tubes--one per channel.  

The ACA 2b images well, has good bass and is very transparent.  

The bandwidth is flat from 10 hz to 100,000 hz.  

The ACA 2B is built on the same size frame as the SE 9.  We have tube guards around the two tubes to keep them in place.

The ACA 2b takes 90 seconds to warm up. It uses 35 watts.  The ACA 2B has three inputs, a mute switch and an ALPs volume control.

The ACA 2b will be available by May 1 and will sell for $399.95 shipped.

We believe that the ACA 2b gives us a tremendous pricing advantage over other manufacturers.  We can combine the Le Amp 2s with an ACA 2b and sell a complete package with over 180 watts RMS for less than $1000.00 USD.  

The ACA 2b can upgrade the SE 9 by turning it into a dedicated amplifier.  When used this way, the SE 9 becomes a much more high-end product.

The ACA 2b does not have a phono input but it can be combined with our nOrh tube phono preamp.

aaird

What will the PS be--Transformer or Switching PS
« Reply #1 on: 5 Apr 2003, 10:04 pm »
And do you have pictures?  

Andrew

mbarnes

ACA 2b
« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2003, 02:36 am »
I was expecting to have the unit to take photos Saturday. We were rushing the first unit for the audio show in Ohio.  After listening to the unit, I asked about switchint to 110.  The engineers said they had to swap out the transformer and I could have the unit today. We are leaving to the US tonight.

If I can take photos, I will try to get photos up tonight.

mbarnes

ACA 2b
« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2003, 02:11 pm »
The photos are online.  I also have the photos of our prototype Multimedia system.  The ACA 2b will have a faceplate but that isn't done yet.

Woodsea

ACA 2b
« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2003, 07:05 pm »
Mr. Barnes,
The ACA 2b looks great!!!
I also like the cost/output factor on the 2.1 computer speaker set up!

nathanm

ACA 2b
« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2003, 08:33 pm »
Cool, the polished case with the polished knobs looks chrome-tastic!  8) Not sure why you'd wanna muck it up with some drab 'ol black faceplate though.  I say just screen the text onto the stainless.  Well, technically you only need to look at what the controls are once, then you can do it blind.  I had the faceplate of my SE-9 on there for all of 10 minutes.  I'm glad I didn't get that TS Audio branded version, that's one ugly font! :lol:

No 2nd set of outputs for a sub though, eh? :(

What's this!? Norh's making rectangular BOX speakers!? Say it isn't so! :nono: :P 150Hz?  Gadzooks - might as well buy yourself a clock radio with that wicked bass response! :P

What's the purpose of those tube scaffoldings anyway?  Decorative or functional?  If they clamped onto the tubes it would make sense as dampeners, but to me those thing just act as a hurdle to changing the tubes.  My CDP has them and although they look nice it's kind of an ergonomic hindrance IMHO.  Perhaps they are designed so your dog doesn't burn his nose on the tubes?

AleR

• http://miempresa.123.cl/alejandro64@entelchile.net
First Post in AudioCircle
« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2003, 02:20 pm »
Hello All, I have noticed HD is moving slow and I have seen here is the place to post now :-)

Michael, haven´t you think about using a wood front panel for the ACA 2b? I own the Pathos  ClassicOne amp, very similar to the ACA look, and the wood front panel looks great, also it would be a perfect match for my Pathos :-)  ( I am not going to use the Pathos and the ACE in the same system but they are in the same room)

Alejandro

Jay S

ACA 2b
« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2003, 02:30 pm »
Interesting idea.   :thumb:

Michael, you may also want to consider face places made of marble / synthetic marble / ceramic as it would reinforce/echo a key differentiator of your speakers.   :idea:  If you did a wood faceplate, consider using teak.

eric the red

ACA 2b
« Reply #8 on: 9 Apr 2003, 03:12 am »
We want a chrome faceplate-We want a chrome faceplate :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

mbarnes

Re: First Post in AudioCircle
« Reply #9 on: 9 Apr 2003, 01:27 pm »
Quote from: AleR
Hello All, I have noticed HD is moving slow and I have seen here is the place to post now :-)

Michael, haven´t you think about using a wood front panel for the ACA 2b? I own the Pathos  ClassicOne amp, very similar to the ACA look, and the wood front panel looks great, also it would be a perfect match for my Pathos :-)  ( I am not going to use the Pathos and the ACE in the same system but they are in the same room)

Alejandro

We still will have the drum 3.0s but these are more expensive to make than boxes.  

The speakers are designed as part of a subwoofer/satellite combination  150 hz is a good choice for this. It is lower than the 200 Hz most companies use. It also allows us to drive more power.

We got a request to make this system for a company that needed thousands of units.  While we like the drums and prism designs, these products are more expensive to build.

droliver

ACA 2b
« Reply #10 on: 9 Apr 2003, 02:10 pm »
I second the suggestion that a front wood panel would look real nice. Thoses Pathos & Unison Research integrateds from Italy really catch your eye. Michael, maybe you could do that as an option (a la the leather baffles you offer on the SM series)

AleR

• http://miempresa.123.cl/alejandro64@entelchile.net
THis is my Pathos ClassicONe
« Reply #11 on: 9 Apr 2003, 04:27 pm »
Just In case this is my Pathos ClassicOne. A perfect match for the ACA 2b.
BTW, the preamp section is a ClassA using 2 6922 or E88CC (like the ACA 2b). Michael, When do you think the ACA 2b will be available ? and the Le AmpII?

http://www.pathosacoustics.com/newclassic.jpg">

Alejandro

nathanm

ACA 2b
« Reply #12 on: 9 Apr 2003, 06:27 pm »
A wood panel would also not show fingerprints like the stainless will.

The knobs do look sweet, but if they were knurled that would rock.  Depends on how stiff they are to turn I suppose.

Boy, I bet Barnes just loves it when he announces a product and then all us yahooties come in and start yammering "No, you should do it this way!" Har! :lol:

The Pathos does bear a striking resemblance I must say.  Boy, first he rips off B&W speakers and now Pathos amps! (calm down, it's just a joke folks) Ideally, what one could do is customize their own amp with whatever accutrements fit their personal taste and style.  Like some people might want to put Lego people climbing the tube scaffoldings, others might paint the transformer with glitter puff paint, and still others might affix rare burl purpleheart wood side cheeks.  Lots 'o possibilities.  The preamp looks like an inviting, unpainted canvas! :)

mvwine

ACA 2b
« Reply #13 on: 9 Apr 2003, 07:18 pm »
Damn! An all-Norh system is looking tempting. If I could get my hands on a used CD-1, an ACA 2b, Le Amp II's, and a choice of speakers (the prisms look nice to me)- could be a nice, inexpensive system.

Then I could join the revered "Norh-Hype" Club :lol:

eric the red

ACA 2b
« Reply #14 on: 10 Apr 2003, 05:05 am »
The Prism 6.9's are GREAT speakers :D

Vince

ACA 2b
« Reply #15 on: 10 Apr 2003, 02:14 pm »
This is what I have been waiting for, for Norh to bring a nice Pre like this on the market. My question is will it have an AV passthrough (not absolutely essential) and a pre out for the sub (essential)?

wunderlast

ACA 2b
« Reply #16 on: 12 Apr 2003, 04:27 am »
Quote from: mvwine
Damn! An all-Norh system is looking tempting. If I could get my hands on a used CD-1, an ACA 2b, Le Amp II's, and a choice of speakers (the prisms look nice to me)- could be a nice, inexpensive system.

Then I could join the revered "Norh-Hype" Club :lol:

Hmm. I understand about the CD-1 though you can find others CD-players in the same class. I'm not so sure about the ACA 2b. It looks like it might be quite good but Norh's occasional partner IRD has a preamp that looks like just the ticket. It is called the LLC-P Purist. Michael Barnes of Norh has praised it as being the best preamp around. It costs more than the ACA 2b, so if you can pay more you might look at it. Though, if your budget demands less $$ the Norh is definitely cheaper.

mbarnes

ACA 2b
« Reply #17 on: 14 Apr 2003, 08:40 pm »
I havenot compared the Purist against the ACA 2b.  I believe that the Purist is an absolutely fantastic preamp.  

I have to say that I believe the ACA2b is an astonishingly good sounding preamp as well.  I think that the IRD unit is clearly far more ambitious.  The volume control is a work of art and the rest of the unit is exceptional.

I think that it is great that we are now seeing so much equipment come out that is high quality and affordable.  Just a few years ago, $1000 would have been a budget preamp.  It would have cost thousands to get a high quality unit.  Now, the price is well under $1000.00.  

As far as I am concerned, the market potential is big enough for as many players who want to participate in this "high-value" market. d