Rectifier substitutes- Dehavilland UV 3

Lincnabby

• 520-548-8156
Rectifier substitutes- Dehavilland UV 3
« on: 21 May 2023, 02:08 am »
Hi music loving friends!

I just bought a beautiful Dehavilland UltraVerve 3 and am already enjoying it.
However, I’m a compulsive tube roller and wanted some input on appropriate rectifier tubes. The stock tube recommended by Kara Chaffee, the original designer, is a 5AW4.
I received a nice vintage Tung Sol with the unit, but I was wondering if 5U4G or even 5AR4 variants would be compatible. I’m dreaming of trying a Millard GZ34, but not sure it’s compatible either.

Please share your technical knowledge or listening experience.

And I know the 6SN7 is more critical- thankfully I have many to play with so I’ve got that covered.

Thanks!
Lincoln

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Rectifier substitutes- Dehavilland UV 3
« Reply #1 on: 21 May 2023, 02:16 am »
Hi music loving friends!

I just bought a beautiful Dehavilland UltraVerve 3 and am already enjoying it.
However, I’m a compulsive tube roller and wanted some input on appropriate rectifier tubes. The stock tube recommended by Kara Chaffee, the original designer, is a 5AW4.
I received a nice vintage Tung Sol with the unit, but I was wondering if 5U4G or even 5AR4 variants would be compatible. I’m dreaming of trying a Millard GZ34, but not sure it’s compatible either.

Please share your technical knowledge or listening experience.

And I know the 6SN7 is more critical- thankfully I have many to play with so I’ve got that covered.

Thanks!
Lincoln
I will not risk giving an opinion on such hi-end and expensive equipment, I would suggest contact Mrs.Chaffee.

Do you have googled? This was the second option Goo suggested:
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/tubes/5AW4.htm

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #2 on: 21 May 2023, 05:26 pm »
The one I liked the best in that was a Philco branded 5AW4.

Photon46

« Reply #3 on: 22 May 2023, 11:06 am »
I've tried many different rectifiers in my UV 3 and didn't find great differences between options, both 5AW4 and 5U4GBs sound great. Main difference was the character of the bass response and what you prefer will be system specific. I've used the UV 3 in several systems over quite a few years and while it isn't the last word in resolution it is always a pleasant and agreeable partner to most amps. My BHK250 sure didn't like it though. The UV 3s power regulation is apparently too loose (according to Ms. Chafee) for the BHK and the amp's circuit protection kept shutting down. Changing 6SN7s affects the sound much more than the rectifiers.

Lincnabby

• 520-548-8156
« Reply #4 on: 22 May 2023, 10:58 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. I currently have a vintage Tung Sol 5AW4, as well as a CBS labeled 5AW4.  I was digging in my tube stash and also found a Tung Sol 5U4G that I haven’t rolled yet. Will probably try that one soon.
As for 6SN7s, I have a nice KenRad VT231, a CBS Hytron 5692 brown base, and a Tung Sol 6SN7 WGTA brown base. So far I like the TS best, but they all have different strengths depending on my mood and what genre of music I’m listening to.

Also intrigued with comments posted awhile back on another thread where granny ring gave advice regarding capacitor upgrades.
Anyone have experience with Jupiter caps or Duelund cap upgrades?

Thanks of all the replies so far. Linc

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 22 May 2023, 11:44 pm »
On caps I have found these results on Lampizator site years ago.

mgalusha

« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2023, 08:42 pm »
Not quite the same, but I have a pair of Kara's Super 40's that use the same rectifier. I put in some NOS Mullard GZ-37's, I like the results. The GZ-37 has a similar voltage drop, a bit less (46 vs 42), meaning the output voltage will be higher, but at least in the amps, I've had no problems.