PS 9.0 Upgrade

AB

PS 9.0 Upgrade
« on: 1 Apr 2009, 08:27 pm »
I had the PS9.0 on my Sony 9100ES upgraded by Modwright and have been listening to it for the past week or so. All I can say is "Thanks!" to Dan and John for whipping this up. The sonic improvements over my first generation tubed PS are across the board - deeper, tighter bass, a more bloomy-ish sweet midrange and a blacker background. The dynamics are improved and the highs ring/sustain deep into the SS. The change is really impressive.

My MW Sony has always been a super quiet and accurate player but I felt it could sound a bit lean at times. Swapping different GZ34 rectifiers added some bloom and warmth but with only 5687 and 7119 tubes as options for the output stage I was left with the typical tweaks, power cords and IC choices to dial in the perfect sound.

Well, this new PSU has eliminated any remaining hint of leanness and I am super pleased. People have been using "weight" and "meat on the bones" to describe Dan's other PS upgrades and I agree - they describe what I am hearing with this PS too.

I am curious to know exactly what Dan and John did to this thing. A new voltage regulation scheme was mentioned and there is now no separate filament transformer in the box. Dan mentioned that there were other changes not easily visible too. 

I am so impressed with this new PSU that I am going to have my SWLP PS 9.0 upgraded as well.

This is really a worthwhile upgrade. I have been bugging Dan to hurry up and start on his next digital player mod but with this new PSU, I think I can be patient and leave him alone for awhile. 8)
« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2009, 12:25 am by AB »

DTB300

Re: PS 9.0 Upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2009, 03:32 pm »
Dan posted on Audiogon about this update to the PS. 

Hopefully, when time permits, he will make an official post here on his forum detailing the update with:

• Time required for update to be done on a unit
  • Costs - depending on which PS you own (covered on audiogon)
  • Additional notes on the update - benefits, reasoning behind update, etc.

Just like he has for other updates he has offered to current owners. 

I would assume all of us are looking for feedback from end-users who have done this mod and how they feel it improved their listening pleasures.

modwright

Re: PS 9.0 Upgrade
« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2009, 07:34 pm »
Thanks, there is a separate thread started that is 'sticky'.  I will update it to be sure that all pertinent deatils are listed there.  We have quite a few landing on our doorstep for upgrades right now and the turnaround is quick as our techs are efficient and have time set aside for them.

Thanks!

Dan W.