9.0 SE suitability for 92 db efficiency speakers and.....

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
I use a pair of Reference 3a MM DCapo's which are 92 db efficient and a Plinius amplifier with 27 db of gain... How would the 9SE with a 15 db of gain function here? Wouldn't the volume control here be at very low settings? and would this be an optimum setting for the 9 SE's sound at it's best?

Thanks

TONEPUB

Re: 9.0 SE suitability for 92 db efficiency speakers and.....
« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2007, 07:26 pm »
Ive used my 9.0SE even with 100 db speakers, no problem.
It is one of the quietest tube phono pre's ive used!!

modwright

« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2007, 01:04 pm »
The speaker efficiency won't be an issue.  If you have amps with VERY high input sensitivity - i.e. much less than 1V to reach full volume, then you might want the total gain attenuated somewhat, but most of our customers are perfectly happy with the 15dB in the 9.0SE.

If you are looking at the 9.0, I would strongly urge you to consider the 9.0 'Signature Edition' with tube-rectified PS.  It REALLY is that much better.  Please contact us for the location of your nearest ModWright dealer.

Thanks,

Dan

Manolo

• Consulting Structural Engineer
« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2007, 06:42 pm »
Thank you. What would the lowered gain figure be? Would it comproise the unit's capability?

modwright

« Reply #4 on: 19 Feb 2007, 03:52 am »
The gain figure can be whatever you like.  I would imagine that a 3db-6db drop would be adequate and no, sonics would not be compromised.

Thanks,

Dan