Maple Slabs - Unfinished?

Folsom

Maple Slabs - Unfinished?
« on: 3 Apr 2015, 10:33 pm »
Hey guys,

I was wondering whom might be interested in some Maple Slabs. 2-4 inch depth, various platform sizes. I was thinking unfinished so one could put their own feet and choice of treatment on. I for one would prefer to oil them in order to retain a fuller wood characteristic, but that might vary on opinion.

Just thought I'd check interest levels on such.
« Last Edit: 9 Apr 2015, 04:19 am by Salis Audio »

soundofrockets

Re: Maple Blocks - Unfinished?
« Reply #1 on: 3 Apr 2015, 11:43 pm »
what size and price range do you have in mind ?

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 4 Apr 2015, 06:20 pm »
Oops.  I didn't realize this was going in the Industry ad area. 
« Last Edit: 4 Apr 2015, 09:12 pm by S Clark »

Folsom

« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2015, 12:24 am »
Well it would be $18 a board foot, sizes could ordered on demand if I haven't cut anything. Cut off (unordered sizes) would be a little cheaper.

orientalexpress

« Reply #4 on: 5 Apr 2015, 01:03 am »
I be interested in 24 inches x 18inches and 16 inches x 21 inches prefer 4 inches thick?let me know

lapsan

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 5 Apr 2015, 04:53 pm »
what size and price range do you have in mind ?
+1 or PM me.

Folsom

« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2015, 12:07 am »
I be interested in 24 inches x 18inches and 16 inches x 21 inches prefer 4 inches thick?let me know

lapsan

That would come out to $216 and $168 (without shipping) as slabs ready for choice of finish and feet. I could apply sanding oil if you wished.

This tool tells you board feet, then multiply by $18.

Folsom

« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2015, 02:33 am »
Hm I thought people might be excited about cheap custom cut blocks. oh well.

InfernoSTi

« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2015, 05:02 am »
Those are great prices!  I have some maple blocks already and think they sound really good.  I especially recommend a 4" thick maple under your amps.  That made a big difference for me (I was surprised). 

Are you suggesting these be finished with spray lacquer? 

John

GentleBender

« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2015, 09:38 am »
I'm interested, but recouping from my recent purchases.  :oops: As soon as I build up some HIFi funds I would contact you if you are still willing.

apollophono

« Reply #10 on: 8 Apr 2015, 10:55 am »
I'm in the same boat as Gentle Bender.  May we contact later as funds are replenished?

lokie

« Reply #11 on: 8 Apr 2015, 12:22 pm »
I'm game as well, but maybe in a few month's as I sort some things out and can determine size/dimension needs.

Where are you, btw?

Folsom

« Reply #12 on: 8 Apr 2015, 02:12 pm »
Montana.

It takes a long time to air dry so if everyone is out a few months I can select a newer cut piece/s if I need to, especially since 4" seems to be the ticket. But the machinery isn't going anywhere :thumb: .

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #13 on: 8 Apr 2015, 02:54 pm »
I'm in the same boat as Gentle Bender.  May we contact later as funds are replenished?
+1 yet add 100% of customs charges and overseas ship.

lokie

« Reply #14 on: 8 Apr 2015, 05:55 pm »

Montana.

It takes a long time to air dry so if everyone is out a few months I can select a newer cut piece/s if I need to, especially since 4" seems to be the ticket. But the machinery isn't going anywhere

10-4

I'll be looking for a base to couple speakers to the floor. And stiff for the down firing port to fire in to. 

Thinking 1" or 1 1/2" thick might do it. Speaker foot print is 20" x 17" .

soundofrockets

Re: Maple Slabs - Unfinished?
« Reply #15 on: 11 Apr 2015, 08:43 pm »
Are there extra charges for oiled finish?  What about spikes/feet?  Which ones do u recommend?

lokie

« Reply #16 on: 14 Apr 2015, 05:59 pm »
I just read through the thread and think I understand what your asking.

So... you will be buying a plank of 4" maple and slicing it up accordingly. Is that right?

I am interested when you revisit this, so if I don't respond to this thread at a later date, please ping me.

Thanks

Folsom

« Reply #17 on: 16 Apr 2015, 03:12 am »
Are there extra charges for oiled finish?  What about spikes/feet?  Which ones do u recommend?

Yes I can do feet. Personally my first choice would be herbies for performance, but style is up to you. There are some good looking brass spikes and what not, some look silly as two pieces. But once I start doing feet and finish, you save a lot less!

I'd be buying slab, plank, and it means sometimes there might be some small knots or something in it but it'll be one whole piece machined to the right thickness, and sanded down even flatter. It's very unlike buying a cutting board; which is nice but definitely not one piece.

When I think finish, I personally would prefer oil or resins because they're going to better than a urethane or plastic of any sorts sound wise, but that's personal preference for care taking too.

Delacroix

« Reply #18 on: 16 Apr 2015, 05:39 pm »
I'm interested -- possibly in a mix. Several 1" thick to replace shelves on a rack I use, and then a larger 3" or 4" thick for under a turntable. But am not sure, is this process deferred or are you trying to determine interest?

Folsom

« Reply #19 on: 17 Apr 2015, 12:27 am »
I was checking on interest first. It appears obvious people are interested. I've got to check on thickness and dryness with the arborist. It's been busy so I haven't had a chance just yet.

You'd want 1" slab? I can buy 8/4 to mill to shelves for your rack. Depending on size for example, I can probably make you much straighter boards than if you bought 1" finished and sanded/stained them, because I mill the material.