How to cook prime rib

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
How to cook prime rib
« on: 10 Jul 2011, 11:04 pm »
I had a most unusual experience...I was at a restaurant that boiled their prime rib!  :o

Ever hear of that? There were onions and carrots stuck to my slice in one area and I could tell by the outside it wasn't from the oven.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: How to cook prime rib
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2011, 11:35 pm »
Gross. Wrong. Sacriledge.

srb

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2011, 11:44 pm »
I had a most unusual experience...I was at a restaurant that boiled their prime rib!  Ever hear of that? There were onions and carrots stuck to my slice in one area and I could tell by the outside it wasn't from the oven.

Maybe it was Sous Vide?

Steve

wilsynet

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2011, 12:35 am »
Could have been braised too.

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jul 2011, 12:40 am »
Only a Philistine would braise a prime rib.

Doc.

Chromisdesigns

• Darla, our beach cat, contemplating the sea
    • Fine-gemstones.com
« Reply #5 on: 11 Jul 2011, 12:47 am »
Reminds me of my ex's mother's "roasted" leg of lamb, and believe me, I use that term with great reserve, only because that was what she called it...

Whole leg of lamb, salt, pepper, no other seasonings, "roasted" in a covered enamel roasting pan until it died a most un-natural death. Not helped by the fact that she never removed any of the fat before cooking, either.

I can still recall that steamed lamb fat taste... :cry:

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #6 on: 11 Jul 2011, 02:31 am »

I always thought you grilled or broiled your steak to taste, let stand for ten minutes and eat...

(if you cut a steak to early all the juices come out and it gets dry..)

Eric

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2011, 07:02 pm »
I have grilled, roasted, and smoke mine

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2011, 07:14 pm »
I have grilled, roasted, and smoke mine

How did smoking work out for you. Smoking is a technique usually reserved for tougher cuts of meat, like brisket.

Doc.

Philistine

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2011, 07:43 pm »
Only a Philistine would braise a prime rib.

Doc.

I expect a written apology  :cry:

If not I'll Sous Vide some and post the pictures...........

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2011, 05:15 am »
In all likelihood they roasted the whole prime, then heated the individual cuts in a pan of jus.  Not ideal but pretty common in the biz.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2011, 12:09 pm »
I had a most unusual experience...I was at a restaurant that boiled their prime rib!  :o

Ever hear of that? There were onions and carrots stuck to my slice in one area and I could tell by the outside it wasn't from the oven.
So.......most importantly, did you like it?

Niteshade

• Tubes: Audio's glow plug. Get turbocharged!
    • Niteshade Audio
« Reply #12 on: 14 Jul 2011, 12:32 pm »
It was okay. That's all. They used to serve baked prime rib and it was much better. When it's baked, seasonings can be put around the outside and there is more control over having it rare. When they boil it, the best you can do is medium well.  :nono:

Looks like they get some soup stock when it's boiled, which also subtracts from the richness of the meat.  :nono: :nono:

I would like to see how many people would order it if the menu said: "Boiled Prime Rib"

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 14 Jul 2011, 01:24 pm »
I try to be open with new foods, but I can assure you, there's not even the slimmest chance in hell I'd order a boiled prime rib. I can't even picture submerging one in a pot of water/stock.

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 14 Jul 2011, 01:25 pm »
p.s. Do they serve it with ketchup on the side? Might as well.  :lol:

mhconley

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jul 2011, 02:35 pm »
Sacrilege...

Prime rib is my absolute favorite meal.  I use Morton Kosher Salt's Herbed Beef in Salt Crust recipe to cook a 4-5 bone roast.  It takes 3-4 boxes to fully encrust the roast.  I insert a meat thermometer while encasing the roast, cook it to 130°, then pull it out and let it sit for 10-15 minutes before breaking off the salt crust.  Perfect every time.

For a real treat use Allen Brothers Dry-Aged USDA Prime Heart Of Rib Roast.  It is to die for...

Martin

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 14 Jul 2011, 03:21 pm »
Sacrilege...

Prime rib is my absolute favorite meal.  I use Morton Kosher Salt's Herbed Beef in Salt Crust recipe to cook a 4-5 bone roast.  It takes 3-4 boxes to fully encrust the roast.  I insert a meat thermometer while encasing the roast, cook it to 130°, then pull it out and let it sit for 10-15 minutes before breaking off the salt crust.  Perfect every time.
OOohhhh baby!!!  :drool:
The tv cooking fellow Alton Brown has a recipe for beef tenderloin in a kosher salt "crust". Took more than a full box of salt if memory serves. Quite possibly the best piece of meat I've ever had (no jokes, ha ha)
The prime rib salt crust sound interesting, I'll have to try that. Thanks Martin!

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 14 Jul 2011, 03:51 pm »
Hey Martin, check >> THIS << recipe out.
The main difference between it and yours is yours has a salt crust, this one is a dough crust, but heavily 'fortified' with kosher salt. I'd have it everyday if I could afford the $25/pound tenderloin.  :(

Bob

mhconley

« Reply #18 on: 15 Jul 2011, 02:46 pm »
Hey Martin, check >> THIS << recipe out.
The main difference between it and yours is yours has a salt crust, this one is a dough crust, but heavily 'fortified' with kosher salt. I'd have it everyday if I could afford the $25/pound tenderloin.  :(

Bob

I'll have to give that a try.  I love Alton Brown's recipes and the science behind them on his shows.  Using the Morton Salt recipe the salt crust hardens into a concrete-like tomb that seals in the juices.  It's a good show when you pull the top off in one piece to reveal the standing rib roast underneath.

Martin

Eric

« Reply #19 on: 15 Jul 2011, 03:14 pm »
How did smoking work out for you. Smoking is a technique usually reserved for tougher cuts of meat, like brisket.

Doc.

It worked out fine. What I did was smoke it and then grill it at the end for crust