Homemade Horseradish Mustard

PeteG

Homemade Horseradish Mustard
« on: 20 Sep 2015, 05:57 pm »
My first year growing horseradish and it did very well.

The hardest part was digging it out, what a chore that was.

rinse and clean the roots.

I used a food processor to blend 1/4 size horseradish and vinegar, WARNING keep your nose away it will hit your sinuses for a KO.

The recipe was done by look and taste (no measuring)
Ingredients I used:
Fresh horseradish, white wine vinegar, sugar, garlic minced, dry mustard, mustard seed, Hampton Creek Mayo (great stuff), salt & pepper.

I love it on my sandwiches, smell has more bite than the taste. Will try some on beef (primerib).

ctviggen

Re: Homemade Horseradish Mustard
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2015, 06:09 pm »
Is Hampton Creek Mayo made with Canola oil?  I personally don't eat Canola oil (or any other vegetable oil other than olive oil):

These studies all point in the same direction–that canola oil is definitely not healthy for the cardiovascular system. Like rapeseed oil, its predecessor, canola oil is associated with fibrotic lesions of the heart. It also causes vitamin E deficiency, undesirable changes in the blood platelets and shortened life-span in stroke-prone rats when it was the only oil in the animals’ diet. Furthermore, it seems to retard growth, which is why the FDA does not allow the use of canola oil in infant formula.19 When saturated fats are added to the diet, the undesirable effects of canola oil are mitigated. Most interesting of all is the fact that many studies show that the problems with canola oil are not related to the content of erucic acid, but more with the high levels of omega-3 fatty acids and low levels of saturated fats.

See:  http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/the-great-con-ola/

I've taken to making my own mayo or not eating it. 

srb

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2015, 06:16 pm »
Is Hampton Creek Mayo made with Canola oil?

I've not personally yet found any commercially available mayo made with 100% olive oil.  Found many that are titled "Olive Oil Mayonaise" on the label, but ingredients lists reveal that they are made primarily from canola or other oils with olive oil added as a minor ingredient.

Steve

PeteG

« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2015, 06:26 pm »
Hampton Creek Mayo: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Mayo.
You can also substitute the mayo (yogurt, sour cream) or just leave it out and use mustard.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2015, 07:27 pm »
PeteG,

Agreed.

Awesome on prime rib....

V....

MaxCast

« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2015, 09:04 pm »
Looks yummy.  Love horseradish, horsey sauce, mayo or anything with horseradish.

ACHiPo

« Reply #6 on: 21 Sep 2015, 04:50 am »
Is Hampton Creek Mayo made with Canola oil?  I personally don't eat Canola oil (or any other vegetable oil other than olive oil):

See:  http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topics/the-great-con-ola/

I've taken to making my own mayo or not eating it.
Do you coddle the eggs first?  One of the advantages of store-bought mayo is pasteurization, which means a lot fewer cases of food poisonings at picnics and warm weather events.  It seems coddling the eggs first would have a similar benefit.