Smoke then braise...or vice versa?

JonnyFive

Smoke then braise...or vice versa?
« on: 12 Aug 2014, 02:44 pm »
When smoking ribs or chicken, I basically do the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours smoke, 2 hour braise in tin foil (sometimes less), then 30min to 1 hr with a little bit more smoke and some sauce.  I've also read that some people do the braise first and the smoke later.

Does anyone here braise then smoke?  What are the advantages?  It seems like the braising in the middle may sweat out a lot of the smoke flavor already imparted?  Thanks, Jon

sts9fan

Re: Smoke then braise...or vice versa?
« Reply #1 on: 12 Aug 2014, 03:04 pm »
imho braising before hand removes a lot of flavor.  It makes them very tender but not as tasty.  For chicken I always smoke then grill.   

lokie

« Reply #2 on: 12 Aug 2014, 03:05 pm »
Can you describe exactly what you do when you braise?

What temperatures?

Do you cook chicken that long?

JonnyFive

« Reply #3 on: 12 Aug 2014, 04:51 pm »
Here's what I've been doing:

I have an old smokey electric smoker, usually hover about 200 degrees. 

3 hours: 200 degrees with hickory chips smoking.

Take all the meat out, wrap air tight in tin foil, braise 1.5-2 hours 180-200 degrees.

Take out of tin foil, finish 30 min to 1 hour with some more hickory and a layer or two of BBQ sauce.

lokie

« Reply #4 on: 12 Aug 2014, 05:07 pm »
I'll smoke first (3 hours) then braise and that's it... maybe finish with a little grilling, if I have the time and the coals going etc.. By the way, I braise in the oven (gasp).

As long as I get a good smoke ring from the first smoking... that's all I'm looking for.  I found that smoking with the last coat of BBQ sauce gets too much smoke in the sauce and is just too much smoke for my taste.

JonnyFive

« Reply #5 on: 12 Aug 2014, 07:05 pm »
Thanks for the input!

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 12 Aug 2014, 07:34 pm »
Meat can only absorb smoke until it reaches about 130-140 F.  If you braise it first then the smoke will coat the outside instead of penetrating into the meat.

simoon

« Reply #7 on: 12 Aug 2014, 08:31 pm »
For chicken, so far, I've only been smoking them grilling to crisp the skin.

I've not used the braising method yet, though I was thinking of trying for my next smoke.

What have you been braising in?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #8 on: 12 Aug 2014, 08:57 pm »
I'd stick with 3-2-1 (or a slight variation - I usually go closer to 3.5/4-1.5-.5/.75). I've had the pleasure to cook with a competition team and that's the way they do it and have many, many trophies to show for it.

If you want it "falling of the bone" tender, foil longer. If you are after more smoke flavor, more time at lower temps for longer to start or more/different hardwood.

At some point, try no foil until it passes the fold test and meat pulls back 3/4" or so (somewhere between 5-6 hours usually), then ramp it up direct with sauce on each side to finish.

JonnyFive

« Reply #9 on: 13 Aug 2014, 03:31 pm »
I'd stick with 3-2-1 (or a slight variation - I usually go closer to 3.5/4-1.5-.5/.75). I've had the pleasure to cook with a competition team and that's the way they do it and have many, many trophies to show for it.

If you want it "falling of the bone" tender, foil longer. If you are after more smoke flavor, more time at lower temps for longer to start or more/different hardwood.

At some point, try no foil until it passes the fold test and meat pulls back 3/4" or so (somewhere between 5-6 hours usually), then ramp it up direct with sauce on each side to finish.

Great information.  What are the temps at the 3.5/4-1.5-.5/.75?  Also, when you say 5-6 hours usually with no braise, at what temp? 

JonnyFive

« Reply #10 on: 13 Aug 2014, 03:40 pm »
What have you been braising in?

I've tried adding nothing in the tin foil, as well as adding unsweetened applesauce + more rub on ribs.  I prefer adding the applesauce+rub.

I've read another recipe where he adds turbinado sugar, honey, margarine and tiger sauce.  So that will be my next experiment. :)

I've also read of others adding coke or Dr Pepper in with the ribs to braise, although have never tried it.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #11 on: 13 Aug 2014, 03:45 pm »
Great information.  What are the temps at the 3.5/4-1.5-.5/.75?  Also, when you say 5-6 hours usually with no braise, at what temp?
With my setup (BGE, indirect/Platesetter with drip pan), I aim for 225 dome either way (3-2-1 or indirect until it passes the bend/pull back tests). At the end, when I'm saucing, I pull the platesetter and drip pan and let it go up to around 300 direct. Keep a close eye on it to prevent burning the BBQ sauce. I usually put 2 layers of sauce on - I like my ribs with a fair amount of BBQ sauce. When I do it for company, I sometimes leave a bunch w/o sauce for those who prefer dry, with sauce on the side.

JonnyFive

« Reply #12 on: 13 Aug 2014, 04:08 pm »
I think I'm not understanding something about smoking.  I thought at the 225 mark, you could do a 3-2-1 variant for tender ribs. But if you wanted to skip braising, you had to do lower for much, much longer?  ie 180 for like 8-10 hours? 

So you're saying 6 hours at 225 without braising will still give tender ribs?