Any advice on re-doing/upgrading this old outdoor BBQ pit?

JonnyFive

Hi All, this old BBQ pit has sat rusted in my backyard for the 4 years I've owned my house.  It's time to get around to replacing it, and I wondered if AC had any advice.

This BBQ pit has a metal insert from Vestal Manufacturing (who I have already emailed).  Before this metal box (24.5L x 19.5W x 18H) was installed, it seems to me that the pit was open in the middle.  The blue tape indicates a mortar seam that runs throughout the entire BBQ, as if it used to be a fire pit that was bricked in around the metal insert.

If I were to remove the recently bricked in portion, it's about 32" across.

I'd like to do some smoking with this BBQ pit.  Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to do?  Are there any non-custom smoking boxes out there or do I need to look to a custom job, like with Vestal Manufacturing?

Thanks!

Jon

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: Any advice on re-doing/upgrading this old outdoor BBQ pit?
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2014, 03:02 pm »
I would call a brickmason for assessment and options..... and maybe some idea about efficacy and cost.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2014, 07:00 pm »
Ohhh....I could so get into that.  :thumb:
I know just about 'zero' regarding masonry. But I know quite a bit about smoking food.
The one thing I do know, is that you'll need fireproof bricks to line the firebox. The food will need to be in it's own 'chamber' above and to the rigth of that fire.
I could go on....

If you're seriously interested in some high quality answers, I would join up with these folks. I'm a member there (as well as one other ACer);
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php

Start a thread in the "Q-Talk" section.

Good luck man.  :D
Bob

lokie

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2014, 07:34 pm »

Maybe something like this?

Google "argentina grill" and "uraguan grill" and click on images. You'll get some good ideas.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #4 on: 2 Aug 2014, 07:39 pm »
Ohhh....I could so get into that.  :thumb:
I know just about 'zero' regarding masonry. But I know quite a bit about smoking food.
The one thing I do know, is that you'll need fireproof bricks to line the firebox. The food will need to be in it's own 'chamber' above and to the rigth of that fire.
I could go on....

If you're seriously interested in some high quality answers, I would join up with these folks. I'm a member there (as well as one other ACer);
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php

Start a thread in the "Q-Talk" section.

Good luck man.  :D
Bob
Good advice to go to the Brethren - I'm also a member there.  :thumb:

Lots of helpful people and lots of experience in there.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #5 on: 2 Aug 2014, 07:39 pm »

Maybe something like this?

Google "argentina grill" and "uraguan grill" and click on images. You'll get some good ideas.
Also check "Santa Maria Pit".

spothopster

« Reply #6 on: 2 Aug 2014, 07:55 pm »
For sure the metal work portion of the pit needs to be redone.  It might be just as effective cost wise to build a new one but then again I am not a builder. I know there are landscape and outdoor living type of companies that have people that know the built in barbecue pit design and build stuff.  Good luck.  An outdoor pit is fun to have.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 2 Aug 2014, 08:07 pm »
Good advice to go to the Brethren - I'm also a member there.  :thumb:\

Cool! I know Rob Babcock is a member, but I didn't know you were too.  :D

Also check "Santa Maria Pit".
Indeed. This is what I've heard those referred to as.
Although, that's a grill, not a smoker.  I think he's going to need a custom fabrication job to turn this into a smoker. You could 'hack' a Walmart smoker and mount it on top of this (which is probably what I'd do), but that would still require some metal working skills and equipment.

Masonry is easy to learn, and the tools are cheap.
Metal working isn't as easy, and the tools are VERY expensive, in comparison.

Bob

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #8 on: 2 Aug 2014, 08:12 pm »
Clean the masonry well, with a muriatic solution.  (Hardware store). Garden hose it down well, rinsing the whole area well, even any solution around the pit. When finished.

Get a new heavy top grill piece,  preferably stainless or a pot metal. Looks like the upper door is still good, good hings ?

Might need new pins for the door below. I suspect its all pot metal.

Scrub down the steel/pot metal, that is everything new/old, give it a real good soaking with vegatable oil and then load it full of brickets and get it hot. Clean it up again, and repeat, to get your metal back in the right conditions. This will stop the rust and season the pot steel against rust/corrosion.  If it isn't already broken, unfixable.

Good luck,

The Smith

(Every man on my fathers side, were all masons,  muratic acid used as intended,  is common for cleaning masonry. )

JonnyFive

« Reply #9 on: 2 Aug 2014, 09:12 pm »
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll sign up for the BBQ forum and research those grill pit options.  I guess I'd prefer a smoker, or the option to smoke, over just an open grill.

I don't think anything with moving parts of that grill in the picture will be good for my application, as it'll rust too soon. 

I also think it's so rusted out there's no point in trying to repair it, although I appreciate the description of how to do so.

Thanks again, if you have any other thoughts keep em coming.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 2 Aug 2014, 10:03 pm »

I also think it's so rusted out there's no point in trying to repair it, although I appreciate the description of how to do so.

If that's old cast iron, or a good quality steel, the rust won't hurt it much. You can take it apart, get rid of the rust, and condition it for future use.
Don't think about painting the metal though. Do what Mr. Smith said about using oil. A local shop (metal working, auto body, sandblaster) can make that metal look like new. So as soon they hand it to you, put a coat of food safe oil on it (canola/veggie). Do a Google search for "how to season a cast iron pan". Your metal should be treated the same way. That's a cool looking door, I'd save it and reuse it. It's certainly cheaper than having somebody make you a new one to spec.
I'd like to see a close up pic of the writing on the door. It might be something vintage (therefore "neat").   :wink:

Bob

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 2 Aug 2014, 10:04 pm »
duplicate post.   :scratch:

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #12 on: 4 Aug 2014, 11:07 pm »
I guess I'd prefer a smoker, or the option to smoke, over just an open grill.

You need both IMO. I use my grill less than the smoker but sometimes doing a dog (hot dog) for the kids is necessary.
Get the smoker working first!

Bladesmith and Bob are on point!

Rubbbq

« Reply #13 on: 4 Aug 2014, 11:39 pm »
Great to see that there are a few Brethren amongst us :thumb: :thumb: I to am a Brethren. I have sponsored a bunch of their cookoffs...

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #14 on: 5 Aug 2014, 01:35 am »
Cool! I know Rob Babcock is a member, but I didn't know you were too.  :D

With work and school I haven't been hitting BB as often as I should.  Haven't been cooking out as much as I should, either. :oops:  But I did just get home from Costco with a four pack of pork sirloins, so there's gonna be some smokin' going on. :thumb:

Nice pit area!  I'm sure with a little TLC you'll have an awesome cook space. 8)

csharp

« Reply #15 on: 5 Aug 2014, 02:02 am »
This may be helpful.
Check out Vestal Mfg Company, Sweetwater, TN.
MODEL OF-56
Unit sides and back are constructed of heavy gauge steel; grates, grille top, doors and door
frame are cast iron. The three position adjustable fire grates use either charcoal or wood.
Cast iron grated cook top and four position adjustable chrome plated steak grille are
included. The unit is shipped completely assembled and will stack several units in height.
Size 18 1/2" high by 17" wide by 24" deep.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 5 Aug 2014, 03:39 am »
Nice. That's four Brethren in this thread!  :thumb:
By the way, I did throw the term "audiophile" around enough over that that one of the guys started an Audiophile thread.
I also started an Audiophile music thread, but that one didn't take off very well.  :lol:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #17 on: 5 Aug 2014, 05:03 am »
Nice. That's four Brethren in this thread!  :thumb:
By the way, I did throw the term "audiophile" around enough over that that one of the guys started an Audiophile thread.
I also started an Audiophile music thread, but that one didn't take off very well.  :lol:

I just signed up.  Looks like good info over there.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #18 on: 5 Aug 2014, 12:10 pm »
Good deal Scott, welcome!
Yes indeed, the site is massive. Look for the section called "Q-Talk", that's the main cooking section is.
The rest is either off topic, or very specific section.

Bob

Wayner

« Reply #19 on: 5 Aug 2014, 02:07 pm »
Looks like a great grill to cook your pizza on, I started doing that this summer in my Weber Genesis....

Wayner