Culinary food products you recommend..

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
Culinary food products you recommend..
« on: 18 Jan 2014, 10:30 pm »
  A lot of you here don't know me, but I have a small foodie back ground. Went to culinary school in my past life. Which I won't bore you with.  I hope I can pass on some good information to others and get others here to put there experience/knowledge to some good recommendations on food products.

So this is one product I have been using for about ten years, it's awesome stuff. I use it while sautéing chicken,  beef, pork and vegetables.  Just add as much as you like and sauté until caramelized.  Then put the final sautéed product over rice. Delicious. You usually can find it in the Asian food section of your grocery store.
(I also add, two teaspoons, to cheap Ramon noodles, tastes very good. When I need a quick easy snack)

Mae Ploy,  Sweet Chilly Sauce.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
Re: Culinary food products you recommend..
« Reply #1 on: 19 Jan 2014, 04:23 am »
Well, I'll take the easy one- Sriracha!

soundbitten1

« Reply #2 on: 19 Jan 2014, 08:49 pm »

murphy11

« Reply #3 on: 19 Jan 2014, 08:56 pm »
Sriracha is the best! I buy at least 8-12 of the largest bottles at a time at Hmart and use it on almost everything. My daughter was going to order the following for Christmas but they were out of stock.   http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=29508843

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jan 2014, 08:58 pm »
Imported San Marizano Tomatoes. Doesn't matter what brand. If you're cooking Italian food and don't use them, you're handicapping yourself. Colivita EVOO. It's the best, by far, grocery store EVOO. Sure there are better,  but not that you'd want to cook with.

Doc

ctviggen

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jan 2014, 09:12 pm »
You might want to qualify what's supposed to be suggested here.  For me, everything suggested so far has way too much sugar (I'm insulin resistant and avoid sugar as much as possible).   For me, I like:

Ghee
Coconut oil
Coconut milk
full fat yoghurt (greek or regular)
Some hot sauces (with no sugar added)

After that, it gets tough, as most condiments are garbage (think high fructose corn syrup).

Devil Doc

• On the road to Perdition
« Reply #6 on: 19 Jan 2014, 09:20 pm »
EVOO has sugar? It's 100% fat. :lol: I feel your pain but very little would make you happy.

Doc

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #7 on: 19 Jan 2014, 09:47 pm »
Do yourself a favor and get one of the Kuhn Rikon Pressure cookers - you can start making REAL chicken and beef stock in about 3 hours (instead of 12 to 24 hours).  And they are SILENT.  Expensive at first, but once you start using real stock in your foods, trust me you will never, ever, ever go back to that shitty store bought crap.

srb

« Reply #8 on: 19 Jan 2014, 09:57 pm »
I prefer the Sriracha from Trader Joes as it doesn't contain the potassium sorbate and sodium bisulfite present in the Huy Fong brand.

When I'm too lazy to prepare a batch of toasted Habanero flakes from fresh Habaneros (seeds and pulp removed), I use Dave's Habanero Powder.

Steve

santacore

« Reply #9 on: 19 Jan 2014, 10:03 pm »
White Truffle Oil purchased at Costco. Powerful stuff for sure, but when used sparingly, I really like it. Favorite applications includes drizzle on eggs, pizza, steak, and popcorn.

pjnad

« Reply #10 on: 19 Jan 2014, 10:11 pm »
I can highly recommend this hot sauce and these new cooking sauces from Herdez of Mexico. Living in upstate New York after many years on the west coast and I do miss my authentic Mexicam taquerias.

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jan 2014, 09:08 am »
White Truffle Oil purchased at Costco. Powerful stuff for sure, but when used sparingly, I really like it. Favorite applications includes drizzle on eggs, pizza, steak, and popcorn.

Santacore,  I have never tried Truffle oil yet. But I will. That sounds incredible.

You might want to qualify what's supposed to be suggested here.  For me, everything suggested so far has way too much sugar (I'm insulin resistant and avoid sugar as much as possible).   For me, I like:

Ghee
Coconut oil
Coconut milk
full fat yoghurt (greek or regular)
Some hot sauces (with no sugar added)

After that, it gets tough, as most condiments are garbage (think high fructose corn syrup).

Ctviggen,

I agree, sometimes I indulge in larger amounts of sugar and fat than a person should.  My doctor says I am on the edge when it comes to my cholesterol.  But, I can't resist.

Ever try this coconut milk, this Thai product is very high in natural fat, better brand than most.

gregcss

« Reply #12 on: 9 Feb 2014, 06:15 pm »
I prefer the Sriracha from Trader Joes as it doesn't contain the potassium sorbate and sodium bisulfite present in the Huy Fong brand.

I too was looking for Sriracha without preservatives. I tried Trader Joe's and Harris Teeter store brand. I didn't care much for TJ's, but found the HT's to be great.

Reviews:
http://srirachalove.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-sriracha-smackdown.html
http://hotsaucedaily.com/sriracha-sauce-trio-kikkoman-ht-traders-rooster/

bladesmith

• palmer knives
« Reply #13 on: 10 Mar 2014, 10:18 am »
Next time you try soy sauce,  try this. It's very nice.

ratso

« Reply #14 on: 10 Mar 2014, 12:42 pm »
i'm sure this will come up, but chef-y types are really polarized on truffle oil. a lot of them won't touch the stuff because it is made in a lab and has nothing to do with truffles. however, i read one big chef who states he uses it all the time because it fakes the aroma of truffles reasonably well and he can use less of the real thing (which allows him to charge less).