Gas Grill recommendations?

carusoracer

Gas Grill recommendations?
« on: 7 Apr 2013, 09:26 pm »
I know, I'm not using charcoal,  :peek:but in the Midwest the darn winters are just too long and it's convenient to use propane.

Has anyone used Char Broil's Infrared Commercial models or the smaller inferred unit.  Is is worth the price or any other recommendations under $300

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: Gas Grill recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Apr 2013, 09:55 pm »
Search your local Craigslist. You may find some inexpensive 'test subjects'.  :thumb:

Doublej

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2013, 11:59 pm »
Weber seems to be one of the workhorse brands for gas grills but they start at $400.

Bill A

« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2013, 12:29 am »
I have a Weber Genesys and think it is a great grill. The current models have the controls on the front (mine are one the top) which I think is a better position. It heats evenly and hold temperature very well. There are several configuration available. Mine has stainless steel burners (10 year warranty) and cast iron grates.

I like using charcoals, but the winters are too long for that. Probably 50% of our winter meals are cooked on it.

Bill

carusoracer

« Reply #4 on: 8 Apr 2013, 01:20 am »
How about this one:
 Dyna-Glo Smart Space Living 2-Burner Model# DGP350SNP-D

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #5 on: 8 Apr 2013, 01:37 am »
I bought a $600 "stainless" five burner unit from Home Depot. The next year all five burners needed to be replaced.
Don't get that one.  :roll:

Instead of replacing all the burners, I started using it as a charcoal burner. Works great now.  :thumb:

Bob

TrungT

« Reply #6 on: 8 Apr 2013, 01:47 am »
I have Weber Genesis over 12 years and still cooking great foods.
Excellence customer service.  :thumb:

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #7 on: 8 Apr 2013, 01:54 am »
Get a weber stainless steel and be done with it.  They last a long time.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #8 on: 8 Apr 2013, 05:21 am »
Just spend $150-$200 to get a decently constructed grill of a size that meets your needs, then get GrillGrates!  These things rock!  I'm getting arond 700 degrees F on the surface with a $200 Wal-Mart grill.  I think adding them to a regular grill beats almost anything you can get "stock" up to around $500 or so.

TrungT

« Reply #9 on: 8 Apr 2013, 05:28 am »
GrillGrate - That's what I have been looking for to make my grill better.  :thumb:
Thanks Rob

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 8 Apr 2013, 06:57 am »
No problem!  I can tell you that they really work well.  I work broiler at the restaurant where I work and these GG's bring a home gas grill nearly up to that standard.  My IR thermometer shows that the broiler at work only runs about 100 degrees  hotter than my grill w/the GGs.  The main advantage though it that they completely prevent flareups.  You can cook burgers and not get any significant flareups, and that's a tough test.

mcgsxr

« Reply #11 on: 8 Apr 2013, 12:02 pm »
Both my brothers have Webers, and love them.

I am happy 8 years into my Napoleon PT450II ownership.  I clean it out thoroughly once a year, and use it 12 months of the year.

I have a small charcoal BBQ that I use once in a while for an old school experience.  Cheapie unit from the local hardware store, perfect for a batch of wings etc.

HsvHeelFan

« Reply #12 on: 8 Apr 2013, 01:01 pm »
I've got a Weber E-310.  Wish I had gotten a larger Weber and one with the side burner.  Weber's are very well built and cook well.

HsvHeelFan

johzel

« Reply #13 on: 8 Apr 2013, 02:24 pm »
Can attest to both Napoleans and a Weber Genesis.  Replaced my Napolean a year ago with a Weber Genesis.  Napoleans, at least mine, was another price range above the Weber gas grills.  I have used my Weber Genesis for about 8 months now - live in a cold climate also - and if I had to do it all over again, I'd buy the Genesis again!  It's a great grill.

twitch54

« Reply #14 on: 8 Apr 2013, 02:25 pm »
I know, I'm not using charcoal,  :peek:but in the Midwest the darn winters are just too long and it's convenient to use propane.

Has anyone used Char Broil's Infrared Commercial models or the smaller inferred unit.  Is is worth the price or any other recommendations under $300

under $300, you're pissin' into the wind, IMO. Save your money and buy something decent, Weber Genesis for example.

Stainless steel......and when your shopping bring along a magnet, you would be surprised at the cheap quality SS out there !

carusoracer

« Reply #15 on: 8 Apr 2013, 03:28 pm »
Just spend $150-$200 to get a decently constructed grill of a size that meets your needs, then get GrillGrates!  These things rock!  I'm getting around 700 degrees F on the surface with a $200 Wal-Mart grill.  I think adding them to a regular grill beats almost anything you can get "stock" up to around $500 or so.

Great recommendation!  Thanks

I agree with quality of the lower end SS model....The Weber/Ducane Grill seems to be in a nice niche at $320 or so.  I'm still throwing around the Dyna Glow model but would like to touch and inspect one before buying.

Thanks All!

TomS

« Reply #16 on: 7 May 2013, 01:30 am »
Just spend $150-$200 to get a decently constructed grill of a size that meets your needs, then get GrillGrates!  These things rock!  I'm getting arond 700 degrees F on the surface with a $200 Wal-Mart grill.  I think adding them to a regular grill beats almost anything you can get "stock" up to around $500 or so.

I have to thank Rob big time. I've tried the Grill Grates on both of my 15 year old Weber Genesis grills and these things are da bomb! No flare ups, fast heat up, and the meat is moist and cooks very evenly. I'm a lousy cook, but these things make it seem like I actually have some ability. Honestly, they are unbelievable and steaks, chicken, seafood have never tasted better. Thanks Rob!

Haoleb

« Reply #17 on: 7 May 2013, 02:10 am »
I am just going to echo what everyone else here has suggested. Spend a little more and get yourself a Weber. I have owned the Spirit 2 burner grill, and the performer charcoal grill.. Both were excellent. You can spend less money on a grill but you will just end up replacing it every few years. Also stay away from those big box store fancy ones that make it look like you are getting a steal. They are just heaps of junk. Also, go to Home Depot to get a weber because you will get better cast iron grates vs the cheaper stamped types you get at other retailers. For whatever reason home depot has worked out a deal with weber for this free upgrade. Weber grills are usually the same price no matter where you buy them pretty much. Even the basic spirit grill will last you a long time if you take care of it and clean it after each use.

rockadanny

« Reply #18 on: 7 May 2013, 01:00 pm »
I bought a $600 "stainless" five burner unit from Home Depot.

Was it a Home Depot model or a brand name? What name please?

jackman

« Reply #19 on: 7 May 2013, 01:22 pm »
I learned the hard way, don't try to save a few bucks by going cheap.  I bought a really nice looking Grillmaster and it only lasted a couple years.  Even when it worked it was not great.  Finally decided to get a stainless Weber Genesis three burner.  It is so much better than the previous grills I have owned and it works flawlessly after four years.  The internals are all stainless and I absolutely love it.

My neighbor has a high end grill, I think it's a Viking and he likes mine better. He's had problems with his and it does not cook as evenly as the Weber.  By this time, the Grillmaster was totally falling apart. The Weber is going strong and unpaid less than $700.  Best grill I have ever owned, and its made in the USA.