Bicycling Off-Road

LadyDog

Re: Bicycling Off-Road
« Reply #800 on: 9 Dec 2011, 02:24 am »
Agree, congrats Levi.  Top notch work finishing top 10.  Thanks for all the pics too.

Levi

« Reply #801 on: 9 Dec 2011, 02:47 am »
Thank you for the complement. 

This is next.  Not exactly off-road.  Phil will be joining me on this.  http://granfondony.com/

We are also having a NYC Bike Expo on the same week.

http://www.nycbikeexpo.com/

jackman

« Reply #802 on: 9 Dec 2011, 12:54 pm »
Congrats Levi!  I miss reading this thread.  Hopefully we can keep it alive in the winter.

coke

« Reply #803 on: 9 Dec 2011, 02:20 pm »
Just got a new fork for my Canfield Yelli Screamy.

Marzocchi 44 Micro TI 29 Tapered with 140mm of travel.  Retail is around $750 and got it shipped for $270  :thumb:

I had a Reba RL but it had way too much flex in it.  I haven't had a chance to ride the new fork, but from doing stoppies in my driveway, I can already tell it's a HUGE improvement over the Reba.

The fork also has lots of clearance.  My 2.35 Panracer Rampage tire on a Stans Flow rim isn't even close to touching the fork.

Using a DT Swiss 240s OS hub, so it was VERY easy to convert to 15mm TA. 

Another bonus is that a good friend of mine is riding a rigid 29 and wants suspension but can't afford a fork right now.  With the money I saved on my new fork, I'll be able to practically just give him my old one. 

I ride year round too, so I'd like to see this thread stay alive.  We went on a night ride in december last year.  So cold the hose on my camelbak started to freeze lol

bside123

« Reply #804 on: 9 Dec 2011, 03:13 pm »
As an occasional, but regular cycler (not in the winter though), I was absolutely astonished by this video of an off-road biker in Scotland. A master that defies the laws of gravity. This stuff is stunning! Perhaps you've all already seen this clip, but I felt compelled to share it with all of you on this thread!  :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Cj6ho1-G6tw&vq=medium :thumb:

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #805 on: 24 Feb 2012, 11:50 pm »
I recently replaced a worn-out sidewalls Maxxis Larsen TT 2.0 with a new Maxxis Ardent 2.25 tire on my rear wheel. I enjoyed the increased volume today, first ride with the new tire, on a 5.5 mi loop in Scottsdale and seasonally warm temps at 80 degrees!

Levi

« Reply #806 on: 11 Apr 2012, 01:17 am »
Here is good gear calculator.

http://www.gear-calculator.com/#

Levi

« Reply #807 on: 12 Jun 2012, 11:06 am »
Ok.  Here she is.  It needs minor dialing in.  I rode her at Stillwell and very impressed with the ride quality.

coke

« Reply #808 on: 12 Jun 2012, 11:51 am »
^ Looks nice, what does it weigh?  Also, have you considered running the front brake line inside the fork instead of on the outside?  It give better protection if you lay the bike over, and also decreases the chance of the brake line snagging something.

I've been riding my yelli screamy a lot lately. We've built some jumps and have been riding some small dirt jumps, pump tracks, and mx jumps. I ended up bending my hand built flow rims lol.  Looks like i'll be replacing those wtih Salsa Gordos soon.  :D

jackman

« Reply #809 on: 12 Jun 2012, 12:26 pm »
Levi, wow!  Lynskey Helix!  That is a smokin ride.  There are a couple Lynskeys in my road group. Great bikes.  They seem to be leading the charge in Ti bikes these days.  Made in Tennessee by the guys who know titanium.  Very nice bike.

Congrats!

Levi

« Reply #810 on: 12 Jun 2012, 12:41 pm »
Thanks guys for the complement.

@Coke, How does it weigh?  I am not sure yet. My guess will be in the high 22 lb. I didn't realize I routed the front cables the wrong way. Thanks for looking at the picture.

Thanks Jack, David Lynskey knows how to build a bike.

^ Looks nice, what does it weigh?  Also, have you considered running the front brake line inside the fork instead of on the outside?  It give better protection if you lay the bike over, and also decreases the chance of the brake line snagging something.

I've been riding my yelli screamy a lot lately. We've built some jumps and have been riding some small dirt jumps, pump tracks, and mx jumps. I ended up bending my hand built flow rims lol.  Looks like i'll be replacing those wtih Salsa Gordos soon.  :D

Levi

« Reply #811 on: 29 Jun 2012, 12:56 pm »
I was able to weigh it and my Lynskey Pro29 weighs 21 lbs.  It is a little heavy compared to my 26" Merlin XLM. However, the Lynskey felt like it is much lighter when pedalling.  Pro29 is definitely a much faster bike!

Now that I have a 29er, needless to say you can do similar upgrades to the Fox Racing Shox 29er fork.  8-)

I upgraded from 1-1/8 to a tapared fork assembly.  This particular upgrade requires new tapered headset and ultimately a frame that supports it. The advantage in going tapered fork is clear. Handling and Lighter weight has improved even more with the tapered fork. Cheers!

New 2013 tapered fork assembly w/ Kashima coating

1-1/8 vs 1-1/8 to 1.5 fork assembly

This is similar to Sidi Dragon 3 vs Dragon 2.  :D

coke

« Reply #812 on: 29 Jun 2012, 01:18 pm »
I'm using a tapered fork with 15mm thru axle.   There's a VERY noticeable difference in stiffness between this setup and a non-tapered fork with quick release.

Levi

« Reply #813 on: 29 Jun 2012, 01:29 pm »
Agreed!

What frame are you using...

I'm using a tapered fork with 15mm thru axle.   There's a VERY noticeable difference in stiffness between this setup and a non-tapered fork with quick release.

coke

« Reply #814 on: 29 Jun 2012, 02:20 pm »
Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy

Levi

« Reply #815 on: 29 Jun 2012, 02:54 pm »
Nice colorful frames!

JoshK

« Reply #816 on: 30 Jun 2012, 04:27 pm »
The YelliScreamy looks like a fun bike in 29 hoops. 

JoshK

« Reply #817 on: 30 Jun 2012, 05:28 pm »
got a newbie question.  Can you use a 9mm QR wheelset on 15mm fork with an adaptor or some sort?

Levi

« Reply #818 on: 30 Jun 2012, 06:15 pm »
It will work if your hubs can be converted like the I9 hubs.

coke

« Reply #819 on: 30 Jun 2012, 07:13 pm »
The YelliScreamy looks like a fun bike in 29 hoops.

Yeah, it is a fun bike and does everything well.  Here's a quick vid of me playing around on a small pump track.  Nothing too impressive, but the yelli definitely does this type of riding better than most 29ers.  The 2nd vid shows another jump i've done on the bike, except I didn't have a camera with me at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_PF-Kxs-OE&list=UU7LhFX15YLLy9stY83WuQ2w&index=7&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIM6Ee9vhuY&list=UU7LhFX15YLLy9stY83WuQ2w&index=8&feature=plcp