Future owner needs advices

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: Future owner needs advices
« Reply #40 on: 1 Apr 2017, 12:55 am »
The Berning's input sensitivity range is 0.2 - 0.7v, so just about any source will drive it.
My Inspire distorts at a low level with 85 dB speakers when driven directly by my CD player or a passive pre, whereas a preamp with a decent amount of gain lets me listen at my normal levels with no problems.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs

Beatlebum

« Reply #42 on: 1 Apr 2017, 01:43 am »
The Berning's input sensitivity range is 0.2 - 0.7v, so just about any source will drive it.
My Inspire distorts at a low level with 85 dB speakers when driven directly by my CD player or a passive pre, whereas a preamp with a decent amount of gain lets me listen at my normal levels with no problems.

My Omega Super Alnico High Output monitors are 98 db efficient and I sit roughly 8' from them and I have no issues with distortion. Great sounding speakers by the way too!

roscoe65

« Reply #43 on: 1 Apr 2017, 02:04 am »
My Omega Super Alnico High Output monitors are 98 db efficient and I sit roughly 8' from them and I have no issues with distortion. Great sounding speakers by the way too!

I guess since you're putting about 0.1 watts into them I wouldn't expect it.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #44 on: 1 Apr 2017, 02:11 am »
Great sounding speakers by the way too!

Plus Louis is one of the best in the industry.  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #45 on: 1 Apr 2017, 02:12 am »
An interview with Dennis and his batcave factory:
https://youtu.be/xLQsEeBKg1E
OBS.:In this video Dennis have beautiful KT150 monoblocks WOW!

Beatlebum

« Reply #46 on: 1 Apr 2017, 02:16 am »
I guess since you're putting about 0.1 watts into them I wouldn't expect it.

Honestly not trying to sound argumentative but I guess I don't know what I'm missing by not having a preamplifier or at running the amp at about .1 watt? Please keep the comments/information coming.  :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #47 on: 1 Apr 2017, 02:21 am »
Honestly not trying to sound argumentative but I guess I don't know what I'm missing by not having a preamplifier or at running the amp at about .1 watt? Please keep the comments/information coming.  :thumb:
+1 Iam all ears too.

roscoe65

« Reply #48 on: 1 Apr 2017, 02:46 am »
I'm not saying you're missing anything or that your amp running at 0.1 watts is a problem.  Some amps really sound a lot better when driven with more gain.  It could also be that your tube-based phono stage both provides adequate gain and has enough current to drive your amp.

Dennis Had experimented with removing the 6SN7 cathode follower from my LP27a preamp (not mine, an identical one).  While it was reputed to sound more open he put the cathode follower back in because it had trouble satisfactorily driving the input of the amp.  That latter point is important: a lot of source components lack the output stage necessary to satisfactorily drive an amplifier directly. 

Beatlebum

« Reply #49 on: 1 Apr 2017, 12:01 pm »
I'm not saying you're missing anything or that your amp running at 0.1 watts is a problem.  Some amps really sound a lot better when driven with more gain.  It could also be that your tube-based phono stage both provides adequate gain and has enough current to drive your amp.

Dennis Had experimented with removing the 6SN7 cathode follower from my LP27a preamp (not mine, an identical one).  While it was reputed to sound more open he put the cathode follower back in because it had trouble satisfactorily driving the input of the amp.  That latter point is important: a lot of source components lack the output stage necessary to satisfactorily drive an amplifier directly.

Good stuff roscoe65! Please tell me more about what you hear between your KT88HO and the PSE. Dennis should have the modified aluminum faceplate (that will include a volume indicator) early next week, so hopefully I'll have my PSE by week's end.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #50 on: 1 Apr 2017, 04:50 pm »
As far as tube amps for Omega speakers go, the single tube per output, pure Class A, zero negative feedback, EL84/6P15P SET fed by at least 2VRMS straight from the source cannot be beat for it's speed, liquidity, tone, low level dynamics, and insane 3D imaging.  This is my personal preference. 

Octal based SETs are lovely sounding too, having a little more jam than the above, but not quite as quick and light on their feet.  Octal based amps also are a little more tonally rich than the above.

If you are looking at Alnicos, go with the EL84/6P15P SET.  For RS5, either would be a good choice.

Just my 2 cents Canadian worth ($1.46 US as of today). :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #51 on: 1 Apr 2017, 05:10 pm »
Rob, do you already listened the 807 Tetrode?
How it would sound with my 7A in a 10W Tetrode SE amp?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #52 on: 1 Apr 2017, 07:09 pm »
Hi FullRangeMan,

I haven't heard the the 807 tube, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work with the 7 Alnico.

roscoe65

« Reply #53 on: 1 Apr 2017, 08:36 pm »
As far as tube amps for Omega speakers go, the single tube per output, pure Class A, zero negative feedback, EL84/6P15P SET fed by at least 2VRMS straight from the source cannot be beat for it's speed, liquidity, tone, low level dynamics, and insane 3D imaging.  This is my personal preference. 

Octal based SETs are lovely sounding too, having a little more jam than the above, but not quite as quick and light on their feet.  Octal based amps also are a little more tonally rich than the above.

If you are looking at Alnicos, go with the EL84/6P15P SET.  For RS5, either would be a good choice.

Just my 2 cents Canadian worth ($1.46 US as of today). :thumb:

For what it's worth, one of my tube amps is a Dennis Had Inspire KT88HO "Fire Bottle" SE amp.  The "KT88" designation more of less indicates the tube he voiced and sold the amp with.  Many end users end up experimenting with driver tubes, rectifiers, and output tubes.  My version has a 6DJ8 driver tube, and while I could use a tube adapter to try a 6CG7 I don't believe it is optimized for that tube.  The rectifier makes a big difference in sound, as does the output tube.  Ity is wired for octal pentode/tetrodes, but with adapters I can use just about any pentode or tetrode, including EL84's or 807's.  Mine is currently wired for pentode operation, but some people use them wired for triode.  As mine is currently wired, it puts out 5wpc using 6V6 or EL84 up to 12wpc using KT88 or KT150.  There is definitely something nice about being able to voice your amp to your speakers and to the type of music you are listening to.

GBouillon

« Reply #54 on: 4 Apr 2017, 07:06 pm »
@ Canada Rob

I am now considering a Decware amplifier. To go with either the Super 8 XRS or the SAM HO. My listening space is 12' x 15' with no rear wall in a larger room (12' x 40').

First, I considered the Torii Jr. or the Torii MKIV. But now, I think that two Super ZEN in monoblocks could be very interesting. I could later add a CSP3 preamp.

What is your take on that? Omega + Decware, best combo for a room like mine?

And what DAC would you recommend (with a 2 volts input), prior to getting a proper preamp in the future?

Thanks!

crob

« Reply #55 on: 5 Apr 2017, 11:35 pm »
My apologies for posting this here, but it seemed like the most relevant thread in light of some of the questions/comments above ... I'm happy to post somewhere else if someone directs me to another more relevant thread.  I'm new to these forums ....

I had the opportunity many years ago to listen to Leben’s CS300 12 watt integrated amp, in combination with high efficiency DeVore speakers.  The combination was absolutely incredible, at least to my ears.  Unfortunately, I can afford neither of these components. 

So I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions for perhaps a poor-mans Leben amp (i.e., something of a similar construction in terms of tubes/wiring, or an alternative that is also great).  The amp I’m looking for could be from a known brand (i.e., decware), or perhaps a model made by a known independent amp builder whose amps come up on the used market every now and then.  But I really did like that "Leben" sound.

I’m ideally looking to spend around $1000 for an integrated amp – or a power amp with volume control (not sure if there’s a real difference there).   Thank you so much for your help and suggestions.  As for the Devore speakers, I doubt I'll ever find those ... so I'm looking to maybe pick up some Omegas or Zus on the used market.

Thank you!!
Rob

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #56 on: 5 Apr 2017, 11:56 pm »
Look for an used Dennis Had/Inspire w/the 807 tube or the usual KTs tubes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spDLYW-yqrs
For speakers PM me if need. They are on Ebay also:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/radioman731/m.html?_nkw&_armrs=1&_ipg&_from&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2046732.m1684

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #57 on: 6 Apr 2017, 12:00 am »
@ Canada Rob

I am now considering a Decware amplifier. To go with either the Super 8 XRS or the SAM HO. My listening space is 12' x 15' with no rear wall in a larger room (12' x 40').

First, I considered the Torii Jr. or the Torii MKIV. But now, I think that two Super ZEN in monoblocks could be very interesting. I could later add a CSP3 preamp.

What is your take on that? Omega + Decware, best combo for a room like mine?

And what DAC would you recommend (with a 2 volts input), prior to getting a proper preamp in the future?

Thanks!

The Decware monoblocks would be a wonderful match for either speaker you mention and I would choose them over any Torii if you're pairing the monoblocks with Omegas.  The Junior 8XRS would also be a good fit.  Shoot across that room and not down the room out into the open space if you can.

GBouillon

« Reply #58 on: 6 Apr 2017, 02:04 pm »
The Decware monoblocks would be a wonderful match for either speaker you mention and I would choose them over any Torii if you're pairing the monoblocks with Omegas.  The Junior 8XRS would also be a good fit.  Shoot across that room and not down the room out into the open space if you can.

Thank you very much for confirming what I was thinking about the SE84UFO2. I will start with one and then see if the monoblocks option is needed.

I did not considered the Junior 8 at all when I looked at my options with Omega speakers. But I think it is a very interesting alternative to the Super 8. Less expansive, of course, but also a smaller cabinet and footprint with the same driver. My room is not that big after all. I was now leaning towards the regular SAM because of the price (I am done with spending lots of money into HiFi) and the option to add a sub later. If it is true that the new 8'' driver can handle more complex music and is better suited for rock, punk, metal, electronica, etc., than the Junior 8 would be a better choice for me.

Do you think something like the ZROCK could be beneficial in that kind of setup? Or should I first try the SE84UFO2 alone? I listen to a lot of average to poor recordings (underground and lo-fi stuff, 70's, 80's, 90's rock, glam, punk, metal, experimental, post-whatever) on vinyl, Tidal and digital support.

And what about Decware's speaker cable and interconnect (DSG)? Are they good for the price (I assume)? I am about to place an order and I would like to do it all at once.

Thanks again, Rob. As you know, it is difficult for people in remote places of the world to buy that kind of product based on manufacturers' websites, reviews, forums' posts, etc. At least I know that the Omega speakers are excellent since I heard them in Montreal!

Nocturne79

« Reply #59 on: 6 Apr 2017, 02:15 pm »
Hello,  I will try to give some input on decware stuff and omega

I have decware speaker cables and their interconnects and I have mini torii, torii MKIV, which i am selling, and omega HO monitors rs5 speakers.  I really like decware cables and felt they gave a good improvement so much that I have not looked for any other cables since i got theirs.  A cheap alternative is CUllen Cable i just got some of his speakers cables for my HT and find them to sound really good.

I would suggest wait till you get your amp and then as the sound develops see if you think you need the zrock or just call decware Steve is always great to ask questiosn. 

hope this helps.