Intro from the Lou

Chalkdust

• Can't I live when I'm young?!
Intro from the Lou
« on: 2 Aug 2020, 05:22 am »
Hello! I am new to the circle and this is my inaugural post!  I live in Chesterfield, MO and am just starting the hobby.  It all started woth an estate sale purchase of Vector Research VR 2200A.  I am happy to be here! Tjanks!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Intro from the Lou
« Reply #1 on: 2 Aug 2020, 11:29 am »
Welcome!

The Vector Research 2200A looks like a ~40 year old piece. Probably overdue for a servicing (clean switches, replace caps) but would probably cost more to service than it's worth.  Looks like you caught a hidden gem, I'd just ride it until it dies.  Don't know anything about the brand/model.  A label on the back says 85 watts, wonder if that's the total power consumption, if so meaning that it's probably putting out no more than 35 watts per channel, which is OK for most speakers/rooms/tastes. 

It's never been a better time to get into audio, thanks mainly to availability of $20/month (or less) CD quality streaming (millions of albums to access from the internet) from Tidal, Qobuz, or Amazon HD.   Also DAC's have gotten cheap, just connect to a computer to stream from and control volume.  For speakers, you can't go wrong with Kali LP-6 (active - self powered), $300/pair.

Blackmore

« Reply #2 on: 2 Aug 2020, 12:30 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle!  Lots of great audiophiles living in this area with lots of cool toys to hear. 

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 2 Aug 2020, 01:21 pm »
Welcome!

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 3 Aug 2020, 11:29 pm »
Welcome  :thumb:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 5 Aug 2020, 11:46 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Chalkdust   :thumb:

Chalkdust

• Can't I live when I'm young?!
« Reply #6 on: 20 Aug 2020, 02:23 am »
Thank you, for the warm welcome!  Sorry about the delay in response...  I am still figuring out the site...
Anyway, yes regarding the VR, I think I will ride it out.  I also have a Pioneer AVR (ELITE VSX-52), that has more power, but I am not terribly happy with the sound.  The VR, with a fifth of the watts, has better bass.  The Pioneer has better imaging and will make it really loud. 
I am running a new pair of Tekton Lores for speakers, and I love them.  I have good sony 4k blu-ray player that I use as a streamer and transport running through a Schiit Modi 3.    I pulled all of our old CD's out, and it's just great rediscovering everything, especially in 2 channel.
Listening to the Grateful Dead tonight.  This day from 1989 in Berkley, CA.  Great show, nice Matrix Recording

https://archive.org/details/gd1989-08-19.mtx.hansokolow.96303.sbeok.flac16