New amp choices for my Omega's happy to listen to your thoughts

NickMimi

I've got a bug up my butt to add another amp to my stable. Current main system is Innuos Zenith Mkiii > Roon > Exogal Comet+ or Chord Qutest >Decware CSP2 > Decware 341.5 > Omega 6XRS Alnico's. I adore this combo and it provides me all the sound characteristics I seem to enjoy most. Every few weeks I'll swap amps, speakers and DAC's but find myself gravitating back to this combo most often.

I'm currently torn between adding a Vinnie Rossi L2Ise integrated, the NAGRA Classic Amp, or going with a Luxman 590-AXii or CL1000/MQ300 combo. I enjoy the Decware immensely but want to take my listening experience to the "next level".

Room sounds pretty good, it could use a bit of room treatment but nothing urgent or any glaring issues that annoy me. There are many experienced folks here, from THESE and ONLY these pieces what are your own preferences and experiences? Like I said, I like the Omega/Decware sound and Dac's come and go in my home so the real question is which amp upgrade next? All have plusses and minuses and are in order of my current preference from most wanted to least...

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
Greetings 'Mimi,

I had to look up the Nagra Classic. Damn, that's a whole lot of awesomeness! But of your choices, I suspect not the best match with high eff. speakers. If I had the opportunity to purchase the Classic, I think I would start looking for speakers to match, lol. Seriously, I like the idea of a little more power to those speakers than the Decware provides (contrary to popular belief), the 590-AXII would be my pick. You have good taste.

I have a pair of large, full range drivers and a plethora of amps. I find my 30 watt screen-drive sounds better than my 6 watt SEP.

Regards,
Dieter

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
   Two great amps to Consider. Dennis Haad EL34 and Alan Eaton 2A3 or 45 amp. Epecially the Eaton Amp. Not a dealer for them.

charles

NickMimi

Thank you Dieter, I appreciate the opinions much and will add that to my little checklist of plus and minus reasons  for each piece. I was fortunate enough to be able to audition all but the Vinnie Rossi so far and they each sound beautiful. None would be a detriment and if I could have them all I would... hehehe.

NickMimi

Awesome Charles, especially on the Dennis Had, problem is my dealer doesn’t carry either and I have all my funds tied up with him in credit

happyrabbit

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=172261.0

If you don’t love this 45..  I will buy it from you.  This 45 is mystical magical goodness.

Dwight.

NickMimi

Hey Dwight, I should have known better than to post...you boys have me looking down all sorts of rabbit holes now. My funds are still completely tied up with 1 single store and a limited amount of items I can use that money to buy but it doesn't seem to stop me from looking..LOL I'll take your comment as a vote for the Vinnie Rossi as it too can use 45's.  :thumb:

sunnydaze

Use your credit to buy something at your dealer.  Sell it immediately.  Use the funds to buy what you really want in used market.  Make sure dealer item is in demand for an easy sale at max price.

Of course you will lose a bit, but how else you gonna free up your funds if your dealer doesn't have what you want?   :dunno:

Negotiate a good used buy price and that will sooth the pain of your loss.   :thumb:

Or look at it like this....
Add the loss to your used buy price and you pay close to retail.  No different than buying from your dealer.  Economics are roughly identical, main difference is you have a used item instead of new.

NickMimi

Sunnydaze, is there something wrong with Nagra, Luxman or Vinnie Rossie that i don’t know about? I can also get Shindo, Lehmann, Leben, EMT, Sugden and a few others. I had been researching these pieces for months and I’m not feeling much love from anyone for any of them so far here? Am i missing something?

I auditioned the Nagra amp w/ my Falcon LS3/5a’s and it sounded wonderful, i had opted instead Though for a more economical Sugden FPA-4 which has been a great match So far. I also mated an Exogal and Ion power DAC w/ some Heresy speakers and enjoy them very much. I have some Line Magnetic pieces, Glow audio, Decware, and Adcom, that i use with Polk, Klipsch, JBL and Omega speakers all of which in one combo or another bring some nice tunes forth.
This was going to be my first foray into the $10k Plus realm and i was hoping to go in with some more knowledge. So far i have managed to keep components  within a similar price range and i have been pleased but some auditioning and tons of reading over the years have me itching to take the plunge up and passed the next level.

At this price range i would honestly prefer new and fully warrantied with Backing of an authorized dealer and the manufacturer. Also, i wanted to minimize tube rolling a bit. Luxman offers a 3 year warranty on their tubes if you don’t roll them. The class A Nagara and Luxman units are both powehouses in their respective price categories. The Vinnie Rossi Is supposedly one of the better integrated units available today.

Maybe i should have started the thread with all this info since i mostly lurk around here and folks don’t know me. I do respect the opinions of many of you guys though and have done my best to read your posts and research a whole bunch. I didn’t want to list every single piece i own because the list is long And i felt it seemed a bit rude. Also, i tend to swap pieces around, i am not looking for an endgame i just wanted to buy into the next class up. That extra 20% always seems to come at a cost and a severe point of diminishing returns.
I appreciate the folks that posted and your opinions, I will keep reading and researching and see if i develop a want for anything in particular beyond what i have been thinking about lately.
Nick

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
OK, you should have mentioned the Shindo and Leben options, lol. Can you get an opportunity to audition your Omegas with the Leben CS-600? For the record, I don't think you need to go anywhere else for your upgrade. Especially after mentioning your other options. My head is about to explode with all those exemplary choices. And although not knowing which JBL model you have, I think both the integrated options would be a good match with them as well.

do it

NickMimi

D.T. I had to laugh at your signature, every time I walk into a high end audio shop I feel exactly like that,” I don’t know what it is but I wunt  it...” LOL. I can’t remember if I heard that exact Leben piece or not, I guess I could ask him to ship me two or three amps to try at Home and pick that way  :duh: I would probably have to eat about $1k in shipping and insurance costs back and forth BUT that would allow me to try multiple combinations. That’s actually a real good idea! I like it.

sunnydaze

Nick.....that's all great gear that you mention.  I wasn't commenting on your dealer's inventory, since when I posted you hadn't mentioned it and I had no knowledge of it.

I was simply responding to your replies 4 and 6.  I may have misunderstood but I thought you expressed a possible interest in something not carried by your dealer, and in general, was bemoaning his limited inventory.

You have access to great stuff.  I'm sure you will find something that fully satisfies.    :thumb:

NickMimi

Sunnydaze, thank you for the clarification, part of the problem with this hobby is that sometimes it becomes a bit obsessive and is sooo subjective to tastes of individuals and second guessing of yourself.(at least i feel this way somedays) Finding synergy in pieces and then tweaking stuff till you like the flavor in your environment and always wondering what if and what next. Also, finding a price point mix where you are happy with the quality of your stuff and the sounds generated.
I have spent many hours in shops wondering if i can hear the differences in cables, speakers amps and DACs somedays and other times, i hear combos that i absolutely love right off the bat and don’t wonder much at all. I realize now, my question was way too open ended with no details given, it was just a small part of a larger thought process and i was sweating it out so much i wanted to post a little part to get some comments and see if that would help me any  :popcorn:
I’m very thankful this is currently the only stressor in my life, health is good and my job is stable with no bills looming over my head. I’m excited to take a plunge into Price territory i’ve managed too avoid for years, knowing full well the diminishing returns outweigh the outlay in cash (at least in my mind). I have been Second guessing myself for weeks wondering if i should upgrade speakers instead or do a combo purchase of more midgrade items just to add another flavor to my selection. Heck, i even considered selling off a few items and finally trying to settle down on a single system. (That’s a hard choice in my mind).

I have been relatively happy lately with all my equipment especially as i get better at mixing and matching pieces for some genre’s and listening sessions But the more i learn and experience the itch for something “better” or fancier keeps bugging me. I have developed likes and dislikes though over the years and biases due to my own and other peoples opinions and throwing that into the mix too really causes some brain “farts” like now...LOL  :scratch:
I much appreciate the words and opinion, helps keep me on my toes and more focused.
Happy listening always—-Nick

nature boy

Next level - the Decware SE84UFO25 25th Anniversary amplifier and a CSP3+ Decware preamplifier with 25th anniversary modifications. You will not find a better combination with Omega speakers. This is really an ultimate end point IMHO. And, if you need to adjust the sound a bit, just roll some tubes. Start with the rectifiers first🙂.

NB

NickMimi

Natureboy, i had been contemplating upgrading to the CSP3 and a pair of SU84’s running mono, yes.  :thumb: 

I like my current 341.5 very much w/the CSP2 and find it a favorite combo. The Omega’s do extremely well with Decware and i love the ability to have full control over the gain and each channel. The Vinnie Rossi L2ISE is tempting me though with it’s Wonderfully flavored pre-amp (As reviewed and talked about) And a bit of extra power along with the simplicity of a single piece design. The tubes (Older NOS) for it are just so much harder to find and afford though (300b's etc)...that puts me off a bunch. I do also like the fact that it has pass thru capability to be used as a pre-amp with other pieces adding versatility for future upgrades with different kit in the chain. Your thought process is exactly where i was originally then i took a wild turn...LOL

nature boy

Good luck with the journey. I am thoroughly enjoying my Zen Mystery amp and CSP3+ both with 25th Anniversary modifications. Plenty of extra power if I decide on some less sensitive speakers in the future. NOS tubes not a big deal as Steve's stock tubes sound great. Quality Russian preamp tubes are inexpensive and their are plenty of excellent rectifiers that can be had for $50-$100. They also last a long time.

NB

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
.......and a pair of SU84’s running mono, yes.  :thumb: 

:scratch:
I have never understood why anyone would double their cost for a 3dB gain in output.

sunnydaze

« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2020, 05:17 pm by sunnydaze »

NickMimi

OpnlyBafld, I have never actually used Mono-amps in the home stereo world, i did THINK about it for a few minutes,  but I converted over 10 years ago from a 20year background in the Car stereo world where those 3db gains in the lower octaves were craved and sought after tenfold. I guess old thought processes die hard...LOL