Triode Wire Labs American Speaker Cable- System Changer

dflee

I had been thinking of getting new speaker cable for some time now. Tried a couple out and found changes in the sound so I knew my system was up to the task.
Trying to figure out which direction I wanted to go, I found out Triode Wire Labs was working on an sc and felt that they were definitely something to listen to. Contacted the bottle washer and asked for the chief cook and got the same guy, Pete. Told him what I was trying to do and he set me up with a pair of six footers with the Cardas spades. While the cables were being built, I talked to him about a pair of jumpers to go with the cables in the hopes of keeping with one manufacturer for both. He set me up with a beautiful set of cables and jumpers.
It has taken a little time (less than 100 hrs) to come into their own but man I can't tell you how much they have changed my entire system. There were rumors of 400 to 500
hours to get them broken in properly but with Pete burning them in it has not been bad. Up front the mids and treble are just incredible but the bass took some time to come
into it's own.  The bass was there just not quite there. . It was pronounced though so I hoped it would develop and it has. The upper end surprised me as it improved also. These cables present an incredible sound stage. Let me rephrase that. These cables allow the speakers to create an incredible sound stage with depth and a clarity I didn't know my system was capable of. To say that my system has gone up a notch or two is an understatement There is no way I could have upgraded equipment to achieve this goal for the money spent on Pete's cables and through this change I realize my equipment is a lot better than I thought.
I have been running through a lot of music to put the cables through their paces and one in particular is a song from Buddy Guy on his Blues Singer album called Hard Times. In it there is a subtle reverb that some systems don't catch at all. I heard it and was astounded by how clear it is. Instruments have size and truthfulness in texture.
If you are debating or thinking about making changes in your system, I recommend trying a set of these out first. You may just find that you have a better set up than you
thought or you can bet that whatever you do after getting them, you'll know what that piece can give you. Besides if they were thought to be good enough to go on a 35k
pair of speakers and get Stone's Best at RMAF, they are definitely worth a try.
Thanks Pete for producing a synergistic cable that I have quickly come to love in the line up here in my humble abode.

Don
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2013, 03:07 pm by dflee »

GT Audio Works

Re: Triode Wire Labs American Speaker Cable- System Changer
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2013, 03:42 am »
I will second that....I have tried a variety of much more expensive wire that changed one thing for the better, but usually skewed something else. Or the sound was different but not necessarily better.
Pete's cables conduct signal with low distortion and a purity that allows the system to resolve musical details with ease.
And at the price its a no brainer.    Greg

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2013, 03:54 am »
And at the price its a no brainer.    Greg
Still $500 minimum though.

GT Audio Works

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2013, 05:24 am »
Still $500 minimum though.
In the context of this hobby where prices can quickly reach astronomical levels. TWL cable keeps it in the real world.

ptmconsulting

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2013, 01:05 pm »
As Neil Young said "Rockin it the Real World"

Yeah, cable prices in general are ridiculous for the price of the materials, or so you would think. But there is real research and real-world labor that needs to be accounted for when considering a cable. The big manufacturers have automated machines and such, but the smaller manufacturer has to braid, twist, solder, press, package and ship their own, which I'm sure takes a few hours each night, if they are selling product. That is certainly worth some $, especially if the product is good and can compete with the name brands.

TWL cables do that and more, at least in my system, and for quite a bit less that what the name brands are charging. Certainly worth checking out, and a trial period guarantee as well. However I don't believe Pete has had many returns, just a lot of good reviews on all the audio forums. Just search and you will see.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2013, 02:21 pm »
A question for Pete (or anybody else who knows)

How far apart can the + and - sides of the speaker cables reach? (or can they be ordered with custom length termination?)

I need them to be able to span across my Emotiva Monoblocs that have the + and - on opposite ends of the chassis.

(yeah, yeah, I need to replace those eventually  :green:)

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
    • Triode Wire Labs - Affordable Audiophile Cables
« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2013, 02:40 pm »
A question for Pete (or anybody else who knows)

How far apart can the + and - sides of the speaker cables reach? (or can they be ordered with custom length termination?)

I need them to be able to span across my Emotiva Monoblocs that have the + and - on opposite ends of the chassis.

(yeah, yeah, I need to replace those eventually  :green:)

John -
All of my speaker cables are custom-made to order. Any length (or length of legs) and termination you desire can be made. Standard length legs are 6" long each but I have made 10" long legs for a customer with Emotiva mono-blocks that have the binding posts "a mile apart"  :lol:

Thanks for the accolades, guys!  :thumb:

Cheers,
Pete

mca

« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2013, 04:20 pm »
Is your website down Pete?

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2013, 05:00 pm »
Is your website down Pete?

Yep, my web hosting server company went down for ~30 minutes for maintenance... It's back-up again... Thanks for the heads-up!

Cheers,
Pete

cab

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2013, 05:25 pm »
I have noticed that you are a PE. Can you tell us which discipline? Thanks.

Alexdad54

« Reply #10 on: 7 Dec 2013, 05:31 pm »
Still getting "502 Bad Gateway" on the site......
Never mind, workign fine now.... :roll:

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
« Reply #11 on: 7 Dec 2013, 06:13 pm »
I have noticed that you are a PE. Can you tell us which discipline? Thanks.

Mechanical Engineering

cab

« Reply #12 on: 7 Dec 2013, 06:20 pm »
Thanks.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #13 on: 9 Dec 2013, 04:37 pm »
   My customers are singing the same tune. Very happy with TWL speaker cable. Truth of tone, timbre and presence are the words we hear the most. Yes the soundstage, imaging and decay of harmonics are its other  strong points but the neutral tonality is what makes these cables special.
    Try them nothing to loose and everything to gain. The proof is in the listening.

charles

dflee

« Reply #14 on: 9 Dec 2013, 10:58 pm »
I could not have replaced any one piece of my system and upgraded for what I spent
on the cables. Ya, it was a chance but as I stated earlier I knew I could hear a difference
with the equipment I already have and Pete has the thirty day trial. After they settled in
I am quite happy and while a decision to purchase, they became a no brainer.

Don

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #15 on: 30 Dec 2013, 04:24 pm »
  As I said proof is in the listening. No hype here. Every now and then a product comes along thats got it right. This is it. Is it for everyone ? Only a demo will tell.

charles

dflee

« Reply #16 on: 2 Jan 2014, 04:36 pm »
For those that are not on Swapmeet, here is a follow up posted there by me.

Hey Charles: Was going to pm you but decided this needs to be here cause in a way it is a continuation of my review.
I don't like it when proven wrong but in this case I am quite happy for it. Pete's wire was really good from the start and as I stated the bass was defined and I thought maybe the previous wire was accentuating the bottom end some. Finally got time to sit down and really listen with two hundred additional hours on em and daaaaamn. I started with Edgar Meyer "Bach Suites" on the double bass and it was there, all there with a sound I have not heard from my system before. Clear, detailed and depth of an instrument that I have only heard while playing next to it. Just incredible! I stayed with Bach Harpsichord Concertos on the Chandos label (excellent cd by the way) and confirmed my feeling that this is something special I have here. I can't thank Pete enough for his patience with me and for truly loving and believing in his pc and now sc.

Back to the music
Later
Don

BobM

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jan 2014, 06:56 pm »
I've been a long-time advocate for Jon Rich's Belden 89259 Cross Connect speaker cables, ever since I first started posting over at Audio Asylum. I've put those up against most everything I could, but still came back to them for their open and spacious presentation, musicality, natural timbre, and top and bottom extension. And yes, I've hosted quite a few A-B tests over the years with some high quality cables that will remain nameless.

Well TWL's bi-wire has now replaced my trusty 89259 Cross Connects. They just do everything so right! All the best attributes of my old cables, but more. More space, more detail, more extension at top and bottom, with a tighter bass and a dimensionality that is just awesome. But most of all, my foot is tapping. They are musical, making you want to sing out load and dance around. Pure enjoyment, and at a cost that is affordable compared to many highly praised market brands.

Definitely worth an audition for anyone looking for new cables.

There's definitely a commonality between AC power cables and speaker cables. I mean, they both deliver power to a component. It's only the connectors that are different (but all TWL's use full copper connectors). And for those of you who have tried and now own Pete's power cables you know what they have done for your system. Try the speaker cables too and you will hear more of the same.

Emil

« Reply #18 on: 7 Jan 2014, 01:14 pm »
Count me in as another satisfied owner of the TWLs speaker cables.
By offering handmade , cryoed with Cardas connectores cables at real world prices is a blessing to us  audiophiles.
To add on to what already been written, what impressed was how perfectly balanced these cables are. Nothing in the audio spectrum stuck out or was exaggerated.
I compared the TWLs to My Audio Cable, Morrows and Clear Day and found these to be the most satisfying. A keeper cable for the long haul.
These cables do require a bit of breaking in. They are burned in for about 100 hours I believe at "the factory". They can sound a bit dark but really come into their own in time so don't prejudge these.

Now if Pete can start making interconnects. Fingers crossed.

Triode Pete

• Industry Contributor
  • www.TriodeWireLabs.com
« Reply #19 on: 7 Jan 2014, 08:58 pm »

Now if Pete can start making interconnects. Fingers crossed.

Thank you, Emil!...

Regarding interconnects, see my post here... http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=120588.msg1291598#new

Cheers,
Pete