Bryston 14B SST vs Mark Levinson 432

Wwbom02

Bryston 14B SST vs Mark Levinson 432
« on: 25 Feb 2020, 03:01 am »
Greetings,

I’m interested in upgrading my Bob Carver Sunfire Ultimate Receiver (200 WPC) driving a pair of B&W N802’s. I’m looking at the used market around 3K to drive them. I’ve researched for hours and continue to be drawn to the 14B SST and the Levinson 432. Due to the age of the amps I won’t be able to audition. Has anyone had experience with these amps? I’m completely open to recommendations or any experience. Paramount JC1 or JC5 and some older Krells have been also something that I’ve read about. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. This is one of my first posts; I can’t search yet if this topic has been discussed.

Phil A

Re: Bryston 14B SST vs Mark Levinson 432
« Reply #1 on: 25 Feb 2020, 02:25 pm »
Welcome.  I've owned a 14BSST in the past and when my friend worked at hifi shop many moons ago, I helped deliver many Bryston and Levinson amps.  I believe the person I sold my 14BSST used a pair of B&Ws (I still have an old pair of B&W P6s in a secondary system for probably 27-28 years) and believe it was an 802 as well (but not sure which series).  I currently use a Class D btw (should be listed in my systems and I've probably made comments/comparisons in the main system as well as a Class D I had in the main system at one point driving the B&Ws).  I have owned other Bryston amps as well (a couple of STs) and had Proceed amps (which are baby Levinsons).  The B&Ws are not a horrible impedance load so either amp should have not trouble driving them.  The Levinson will drive things a bit more effortlessly.  It may have a bit more recessed less forward sound. Might be preferrable if one listens to lots of classical music (as with anything one's preferences and system synergy will dictate things).

Wwbom02

Re: Bryston 14B SST vs Mark Levinson 432
« Reply #2 on: 26 Feb 2020, 02:49 am »
Thank you for your feedback and info! Greatly appreciated!