Class D Has Arrived

mr_bill

Re: Class D Has Arrived
« Reply #40 on: 6 Jan 2020, 04:37 pm »
How can a person buy a DIY kit for the new Purifi?  (like we did with the NCore 400 previously)

I've seen the Purifi module with both channels on one board, but don't know if that includes power supply or not.  Some of it is just plug n play it looks like - XLR, Speaker output,

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #41 on: 6 Jan 2020, 09:10 pm »

I would try the Purifi site, they are selling to DIY folks already.

Don

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #42 on: 6 Jan 2020, 09:30 pm »
I would try the Purifi site, they are selling to DIY folks already.

Don

https://purifi-audio.com/vare/eval1/

4700 DKK is ~USD $700.

Total gain including the buffer is about 26dB. Of course this depends on the sonic transparency of the input gain stage. There are now many manufacturers touting their own buffers with the Purifi modules which intrinsically have about 12.8dB of gain.

Best,
Anand.

mr_bill

« Reply #43 on: 6 Jan 2020, 10:56 pm »
I did check out that link - thank you,

Other than hook up wire, what do you need to add to this EVAL1?

It looks like just a power supply - Hypex SMPS1200

It looks to me that a power supply is all you'd need other than power supply wiring, input wire and speaker wire? (and a case and connectors)

Norman Tracy

« Reply #44 on: 8 Jan 2020, 04:22 pm »
I did check out that link - thank you,

Other than hook up wire, what do you need to add to this EVAL1?

It looks like just a power supply - Hypex SMPS1200

It looks to me that a power supply is all you'd need other than power supply wiring, input wire and speaker wire? (and a case and connectors)

Regarding DIYing the Purifi EVAL1 check out the following thread on Mission Possible where user 'ergo' has it playing powered by the Hypex SMPS1200A power supply. Like comments in this thread he finds driving modules with high current buffers helps.

Using EVAL1 with SMPS1200A is almost plug-n-play, a couple of wires need to be flipped on the low voltage power rail connections. Looking at the data sheets (I have not had these on my bench, photo below is ergo's amp being prepared for added PS cap and buffer experiments.) EVAL1's J3 pins 5 (+Vunreg), 6 (GND), and 7 (-Vunreg) are conneced to get power and ground from SMPS1200's J5 pins 3 (+Vaux), 5 (GND), and 7 (-Vaux). Connectors 'J1' (main power rails, large AWG wires in photo) on each look compatible for connection 1 to 1.

http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?44316-Purifi-class-D-amplifiers

mr_bill

« Reply #45 on: 8 Jan 2020, 07:02 pm »
This is very helpful and thanks for sending.

One other question remains - do you have to add some type of input buffer or can you just hook up straight to the EVAL1 board?

Norman Tracy

« Reply #46 on: 8 Jan 2020, 09:50 pm »
This is very helpful and thanks for sending.

One other question remains - do you have to add some type of input buffer or can you just hook up straight to the EVAL1 board?

You are welcome for the info.

Regarding input buffering you do not have to buffer. What Purifi calls the EVAL1 is a three module set including a interface board that plugs into a stereo pair of 1ET400A amplifier modules providing simple secure connections. The EVAL1 interface circuit board has a buffer about which the user guide states "pre-gain stage is made with a dual OPA1612 configured as Balanced/single-ended to balanced gain stage". The manual also describes how gain can be set OR the buffers bypassed and input signal fed directly into 1ET400A.

If you are a DIYer who wants to use EVAL1 as an entry to Purifi amplification the quick easy way is to connect signal input directly to the EVAL1 XLRs. If your source is single ended take note of user guide instruction in section 3.5 "If a single ended input is need then connect GND and IN- to the negative analog input."

Some of the discussions I referenced deal with direct connections to the 1ET400A modules. More advanced DIYers and manufacturers looking to differentiate their product will ditch the OPA1612 buffer. Like Hypex and ICEpower the 1ET400A have medium input impedance in the 2k to 4k range. That falls in the range where any op-amp or other gain device should have no problem driving it. Yet perceptive listeners report improvements in subjective sound when a preamp with more drive capability is employed.

mr_bill

« Reply #47 on: 8 Jan 2020, 10:37 pm »
This is a great answer - thank you Norman!

With the indicated SMPS1200 as the power supply and cable connectors now listed on their store, this does not look that hard for a novice to assemble.  Just find a case and order the parts and upgrade some parts if desired like speaker binding posts.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #48 on: 9 Jan 2020, 02:48 am »
Independent Measurements for your review:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-purifi-1et400a-amplifier.7984/

Basically proving that the water is warm, jump on in!

Best,
Anand.