New N3s in the house...

jrebman

New N3s in the house...
« on: 4 Sep 2011, 08:27 pm »
What? N3s?  I thought I was building V-2s...  Well, when I mocked them up with blue tape and placed them in the living room the minium 3 feet from the wall and invited my wife to comment, the long silence that follwed told me all I needed to hear. :-)  And truth be told, I would not be comfortable with them that far into the rooom either.

To make a long story short, I worked out a deal with Ruben and he took all the parts and his flat pack for the V-2s and left behind an exquisite pair of N3s in a blackberry (black cherry?) pearl gloss finish.  I obviously can't see them, but if they look half as good as they feel, they must be spectacular -- and that's what Linda said, along with "Wow!" and a few other superlatives.

Sorry, no pics or listening impressions yet as right now they are shoe-horned in between the cornwalls and the rack and I  don't have any speaker cables with bananas lying around.  Also, the only amp in working condition now is my Carina, which should work for polite listening, but won't be the long term amplifier in this system.

Ruben said he's post some pics but they apparently go very well with the room and the finish on the Carina.

Anyway, just another incredible job by Ruben!  Thanks, Man!

-- Jim

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
Re: New N3s in the house...
« Reply #1 on: 4 Sep 2011, 09:48 pm »

« Last Edit: 5 Sep 2011, 12:45 am by opnly bafld »

jrebman

« Reply #2 on: 4 Sep 2011, 10:05 pm »
Lin,

Say what? :-)

-- Jim

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
  • Fallen Enclosures, Inc. Crafted with Passion
« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2011, 12:24 am »
Hi Jim,

I'm really glad we were able to get you something that works well for your home.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the sound! :thumb:

Here are a few pics of Jim's new Black Cherry Pearl N3's.

Best,

Ruben

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #4 on: 5 Sep 2011, 12:28 am »
WOW!  :o  Very nice Ruben!

jrebman

« Reply #5 on: 5 Sep 2011, 12:44 am »
Ruben,

Again, thanks so much -- these are just fantastic to behold.  I'll be making a temporary set of "white lightning moonshine" speaker cables for them tomorrow.

Really wish I could find out i the studs for the tube connectors were available separately -- with just one set and a crimp connection, it doesn't leave a whole lot of options for experimentation in the cable department.  I know standard bananas will work and I will use those for now, but it would be nice to have other options down the road.

I quizzed Linda on the color again and she agreed with my description of "eggplant" -- does that sound about right to you?

Whatever it is, she's very happy with it and says it goes very well with the rest of the room.  At least the WAF factor is covered :-).

Really can't wait to give them a listen!

-- Jim

roymail

• Roy in TX
« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2011, 01:11 am »
Absolutely beautiful cabinets... wonderful speakers!  Congrats, Jim.   :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2011, 04:11 am »
Really wish I could find out i the studs for the tube connectors were available separately -- with just one set and a crimp connection, it doesn't leave a whole lot of options for experimentation in the cable department.  I know standard bananas will work and I will use those for now, but it would be nice to have other options down the road.

I can sell you the male studs separately for $3 each.

And those speakers look freaking awesome!

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2011, 04:27 am »
Ruben,

Again, thanks so much -- these are just fantastic to behold.  I'll be making a temporary set of "white lightning moonshine" speaker cables for them tomorrow.

Give Danny a buzz, he can set you up with extra studs.

:edit: Danny commented on the studs as I was typing my response. :lol:

I quizzed Linda on the color again and she agreed with my description of "eggplant" -- does that sound about right to you?

Whatever it is, she's very happy with it and says it goes very well with the rest of the room.  At least the WAF factor is covered :-).

Sure, Eggplant works!

Really can't wait to give them a listen!

-- Jim

Looking forward to hearing your impressions. :thumb:

Best,

Ruben

jrebman

« Reply #9 on: 5 Sep 2011, 04:14 pm »
Danny,

Thanks for the reply regarding the replacement studs -- great to know.

Thanks again folks -- Ruben just does some top notch work.  Seriously, this kind of quality and finish is the kind of thing you really see on many cost-no-object speakers.

My guess is that some lucky somebody is going to have the opportunity to buy some super sweet V-2s in the not-to-distant future :-).

BTW, one of my concerns with these was that with the tall, narrow, shallw profile and drivers at the top, they would be somewhat tippy and unstable -- no way, these are very solid on their feet (or bases).  Most likely I'll be sitting them on a set of herbie's ffat black dots as they have always proven to be great on my bamboo floors.

More when I have some listening impressions, but it could be a while until I get a more appropriate amp, get the cornwalls out of here and get everything dialed in and brooken in.

-- Jim

skeeter99

« Reply #10 on: 5 Sep 2011, 04:39 pm »
Wife loved the finish Ruben, nice work!! Those really are stunning  :thumb:

Scott

dvenardos

« Reply #11 on: 5 Sep 2011, 09:58 pm »
Reuben,

Those are just amazing!
You really need to put up a price list sometime. I drool every time I see your work, but never want to bother you to ask how much.

Don

HT cOz

« Reply #12 on: 6 Sep 2011, 12:46 am »
I bet the bass output will surprise you.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: 14 Sep 2011, 06:32 pm »

My guess is that some lucky somebody is going to have the opportunity to buy some super sweet V-2s in the not-to-distant future :-).

Yep, I plan to build them out and list them for sale as soon as I can get to them.

They're being built using my own enclosure design. :D

Thanks again Jim!

Ruben

mono-tubeleosis

« Reply #14 on: 16 Sep 2011, 06:05 am »
Stunning.  Look like Ferrari's.  Amazing.

Outofthewoods

• Industry Participant
« Reply #15 on: 27 Sep 2011, 05:44 pm »
Reuben,

Those are just amazing!
You really need to put up a price list sometime. I drool every time I see your work, but never want to bother you to ask how much.

Don

Thanks Don! :wave:

Since pretty much every build has a custom element to it, be it in finish, crossover components, esthetic styling, etc. pricing varies from one build to the next. If you ever need a quote on something please feel free to shoot me a note.

Best,

Ruben

jrebman

« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2011, 02:40 am »
Finally, an update...

I've got these beauties hooked up and playing nnow and I have to say that I'm really impressed, and with only a few hours on them. 
vVery nice tone, especially well balanced response and no crossover nasties.  Prat is super good too.  Right now my only possible complaint would bea lack of top end air and sizzle, but other than break-in, this is most likely due to the various other components in the system.  The amp is the Leben CS300 XS and the NOS mullard el84s are not exactly known for their airy top end, plus all the cabling tends to be on the warmer side of neutral -- KCI Sparrow ICS, TWL power cords on both the Virtue Piano CDP, and a new set of auditorium 23 speaker cables (which will be moving to the listening room system once my other speakers are done).

That all said, the system is making beautiful music.

Now  here's where I admit that I'm somewhat surprised... I generally prefer "live cabinets to dead and MDF cabinets, and I honestly didn't know (until Ruben dropped them off) that these were an MTM design, which I've not had very positive experiences with in the past.  So I was wrong, the tone is great, vocals clear, prat ex cellent, and bass very good, and all in good balance.  Good stuff!

Maybe once the speakers get some time on them I'll bring up the
Shindo amp from downstairs, but this is sounding great as it is.

There is one particular cut on the grisman/garcia disc "Shady Grove" (no the Pizza tapes version) which has two dueling banjos and which has always forced me to skip the track on just about all my other systems, well now it is all there, and not a harsh note or trace of glare anywhere.  The tone of the banjos is incredible, the harmonic development of each note, superb, and one of the banjos sure sounds like a silbvertone to me -- whereas in the past this has always been just another generic banjo sound.  Of course this is no slouch of an am either.

Anyway, I'm really stoked with these and when they have some more time on them, have the speaker cables they will have (whatever those may be), I do some critical placement (just roughly placed right now) and everything has time to get used to each other, we'll just see.  I actually think the top end issues are the mullards, but that will be easy enough to check later on.

Thanks Danny for such an incredible speaker in such a nice package, and thanks to Ruben and the Ninja for an incredible execution of the cabinets and crossovers.  Linda is loving the sound as well as the looks, so I think we're sset for a while.

-- Jim

jrebman

« Reply #17 on: 27 Oct 2011, 02:52 pm »
Another update...

I've not got another 15 hours or so of playtime on the system and things have opened up somewhat.  I also added 4 herbie's fat black dots under each speake and that really tightened up the bass, opened the mids, and gave the appearance of even more top end, plus even better overall FR balance.

Sounding very good now yet still with no critical speaker placement and some issues with getting the rack to sit level and flat on the slightly uneven hardwood floor.

I spun an old fave this morning -- Fleetwood Mac "Rumors", gave it some volume and was seriously impressed.

Can't wait to get the music server/dac system up and play some hi-res tracks.

It's sounding mighty fine though.

-- Jim

jrebman

« Reply #18 on: 8 Jan 2012, 12:24 am »
For sale yet again -- $1200 plus shipping (which you have to talk to Ruben about).

Great speakers, just need to get back to my SET amp and SD speakers.

See new ad in marketplace...

Thanks,

Jim

Jerrin

« Reply #19 on: 16 Jan 2012, 10:29 pm »
"Give Danny a buzz, he can set you up with extra studs."

You two need to be careful Ruben, I think this is illegal in most states.     :lol: