GR Research Criterion speakers - Home Audition July 2003

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Hello, This review will follow this post. I have tried to post it from Lotus wordpro the way I wrote it BUT.... it just runs aaaaalllllllltogether. I  had asked Marbles for help last night on how to post it, but nothing seemed to work. ME = Computer Idioit here. :oops:  Thanks again Marbles for your help ! :D  So, good luck with your reading - at least it's all in one spot. :lol:   Any questions or comments are welcome !  :D

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jul 2003, 02:53 pm »
' First' off, I would like to thank Danny Richie at GR Research for providing the Criterions for a home audition. As I have stated in other posts I think it's an excellent policy that companies have these auditions - in your home and with your system. Hopefully more companies will do this. The cost of shipping that an audiophile pays is a small price for the benefits gained!                                        Secondly, I would like to thank "the powers that be" at AudioCircle for providing this website, for without it, I would not have known about GR Research or the many other fine audio companies that have forums there. Kudos !!                                                                                                  System components used in review:                                                                                                     Amp - Krell KSA-100 mkII                                                                                                                   Pre-amp - Audio Research SP-9 mkII                                                                                                 T.T. -  Technics SL-1350 direct drive /w Shure V15  and  Ortofon X3-MC carts.                             CD - Phillips CD-80                                                                                                                           DAC - ART DIO  ( stock)                                                                                                                    IC's - Zu Warmouth                                                                                                                             Sp. C. - Zu Wax                                                                                                                                   Misc. - Points, Pods,                                                                                                                          Room size - 12'x12'x8' (not perfect, but audio only room)                                                                 Music - CDs , LPs    Rock, Jazz, Classical                                                                                          Audition time - One week ( and many, many hours )                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        The Criterions came to me packed in a very well made wood crate. After carefully removing the speakers, noticied one dustcap was pushed in - quick call to Danny, problem fixed. I placed the Criterions on a pair of 28 inch stands, which was a good height with my listening chair. Speakers were 3 feet from back wall,2 feet from side wall,6 feet apart. I sat 8 feet away.                              First impressions of them: well made, solid, heavy, nice Cherry finish. No grill covers.They are about the size of a large hiking boot shoebox - a two-way mini-monitor.Ribbon tweeter and 5.25 mid-woofer.Single pair of speaker binding posts on each.                                                        I played these speakers in a range of 80db to 97db (as read from my Rat Shack SLM).Easy hook up,and away we go!                                                                                                                    To my ears, and with my system, the Criterions were a very enjoyable speaker! The Details, Details, Details , that the ribbon tweeter brought out in the music I played was fantastic! Clear,crisp tones. Nice soundstage - filled my audio room. Good depth of the music. The  woofer: bass was clean and accurate. Excellent tone qualities. A very nice blend between tweeter and woofer. Only complaint I have with the Criterions is bass impact. But I understand it's a 5.25 woofer, but they were CLEAN !! With an addition of a sub, complaint would be solved. Better impact. My system's speakers are the Mirage M-3, 3 ways 10" , 5", 1" x five speakers in each cab. I wish the" Details" I heard in the Criterions were present in my Mirages! Need that ribbon ! ! All in all,I enjoyed my time with the Criterions.They seemed a better size fit in my room than my Mirage "giants" (height 53 inches).                                                                                                                          On my last day with the Criterion speakers, my Bolder Mensa audition pack arrived. I installed the pair of Bolder Bybee's onto my Krell amp inputs (curious about all the hoopla on Bybees).Wow! they brought the sound of the Criterions up a notch, even in the bass dept.! Abby Road, Beatles CD -- sounded great ! I even posted a quick responce on AC about it.                                   In summary, I consider the Criterions an excellent value for the money. Good for my sized room, and maybe yours. If you're in the market for some nice Mini-Monitors, the Criterions should be on your audition list! Good things Do come in small packages !! Thanks !!

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 28 Jul 2003, 03:33 pm »
:o You just gave nathanm a heart attack!! :P

Nice review.  I hope to audition the Delucios (sp) some day.