Questions about Diluceo :)

Danny Richie

« on: 12 Jul 2003, 04:29 pm »
These questions were sent as a private message, but being good questions worth sharing.

Why did you design the Criterion/Diluceo with relatively small woofers? Wouldn't it have more slam with like a 7 inch Eton woofer?

I listened to the 7" and 5" Etons for mid-bass accuracy, detail, clarity, etc.

The 5" woofer excelled in these areas as it has a lighter mass, and can play much higher.

Also the 7" woofer had too much break-up in the high frequencies that limit the crossover point to no more than 2kHz. It could be pushed to 2.5kHz with steeper slopes.

The 5" woofer also had some upper level break-up that was a concern. In discussing it with Eton and what could be done about it (heat pipe type phase plug, etc.) and discussing my other concerns and design objectives they offered a custom version of the woofer that would suit my needs.

Not only does this new version extend well into the highs with little break-up at all but also is capable of playing lower than earlier versions too.

Capable of reaching a -3db of 55Hz makes crossing it off to a sub-woofer a piece of cake, and the super stiff cone allows it to play down pretty low, driven hard to good levels with little cone flex or distortion at all.

Four of them (one pair of Diluceo's) actually pound pretty well.

More questions  
Do the Diluceos sound much different if the listener is standing? (sometimes I simply don't have time to sit down to listen to music, sigh!)

The short ribbon used in the Lucidity series speakers has a much better vertical response than does long ribbons. Also the close center to center spacing of the woofers helps keep woofer cancellations minimized until extreme off axis areas.

See vertical response measurements of the Diluceo: http://www.gr-research.com/lucidity/dil-vert.htm

What order is the crossover of the Criterion and the Diluceo?  

The Criterion uses a series network that would be considered a second order series network. It crosses in the 3.4kHz range.

The Diluceo uses an asymmetrical parallel design to keep drivers in phase with second order on the woofers and third order on the tweeter. It crosses at 2.5kHz.

Val

« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2003, 09:22 pm »
Thanks for clarifying the Eton's upper level break-up and your solution, as I had seen the original factory response curves and they looked quite ugly. The phase plugs are used by other speaker makers on the 5's and 7's.

Val