nx-otica vs spatial

squeedle

• Vandersteen 2CE Signatures
nx-otica vs spatial
« on: 24 Sep 2021, 06:33 am »
I posted in the audition forum to see if anyone in the greater San Francisco area had any NX-Oticas available for audition but got zero replies. Danny also had no leads to anyone in this area I could reach out to.

I've already auditioned the Spatial M3's and plan to audition the X3's mid-October when they are in stock near me.

But I'm wondering how I can hear the NX-Oticas before trying to decide on an open baffle purchase.

Anyone?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: nx-otica vs spatial
« Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2021, 05:17 pm »
I own the GR Research Super 7's and I've also demo'd the NX-Oticas extensively when I was staying at Danny's for several days when we hotrodded my Forte IIIs.  The Super 7's are in my downstairs system, and I've placed an order with Spatial for X3's that I will use in my upstairs system.  I should have them within the next 3 weeks or so and can give detailed comparisons after that.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2021, 05:58 pm »
I own the GR Research Super 7's and I've also demo'd the NX-Oticas extensively when I was staying at Danny's for several days when we hotrodded my Forte IIIs.  The Super 7's are in my downstairs system, and I've placed an order with Spatial for X3's that I will use in my upstairs system.  I should have them within the next 3 weeks or so and can give detailed comparisons after that.
I know they were different systems at different locations, BUT…….

Care to compare/contrast the Super 7’s and the NX-Oticas?  :green:

(You may have already done this)(I remember reading a few comments here & there from Danny, but a more in depth commentary might be nice)

****I don’t want to derail the thread though*******

Tyson

« Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2021, 06:18 pm »
I know they were different systems at different locations, BUT…….

Care to compare/contrast the Super 7’s and the NX-Oticas?  :green:

(You may have already done this)(I remember reading a few comments here & there from Danny, but a more in depth commentary might be nice)

****I don’t want to derail the thread though*******

Both are world class speakers that are more alike than they are different.  The only real difference I heard between them was small.  The Super 7's have more absolute levels of detail, while the NX-Otica had fuller and more robust lower mids.

RonP

« Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2021, 09:48 pm »

+1 waiting to hear this comparison

squeedle

« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2021, 07:13 am »
Am also really looking forward to this comparison! Wish I could hear some NX-Oticas myself!! Apparently they are too NX-Otic to be found anywhere...

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2021, 02:17 pm »
Am also really looking forward to this comparison! Wish I could hear some NX-Oticas myself!! Apparently they are too NX-Otic to be found anywhere...

The farther you’re willing to travel the better chance of finding a pair to audition

Tccaux

« Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2021, 06:56 pm »
Well, I wasn't gong to get into this hunt but I guess my dog just can't stay out of it.... :)

On 10/8/21, I went to Iowa Park and listened to both the Ron B's M3 Sapphires and Danny's NX Oticas. I'd heard the Xtremes and the M3's before but not the Oticas. Based on hearing the Xtreme and the Sapphires earlier, I had put in my order for the M3's. For me, it was a matter of scale.

However, as supply chains everywhere dragged on, I realized I had time to be doubly sure of my choice and began to do more research on the Oticas. Based on that, I realized that some of the reported strengths of the Oticas were more to my listening tastes and more specifically, probably more in line with where I'm currently at on my audiophile journey. I like super detail and exploring a recording. So, I reached out to Ron B. and Danny to listen to both the Oticas and the M3's on the same day. Being the amazing, supportive gentlemen they are, they agreed.

Based on those auditions, I canceled my M3 order and ordered the Oticas with a pair of dual subs. Of course, Clayton was a total pro as well and immediately handled the cancellation. He's a great guy, the company is excellent and the M3's are superb! I'm sure I'll be back to Spatial before this journey is all over.

Also, before anybody gets in a twist...let me say that it was not an easy choice and I do not think I chose the easiest option. As Ron B. and others have declared, the Oticas are sternly unforgiving of bad or mediocre recordings. And, let's face it, there's a lot of that out there. As Ron described and I agree, the Sapphires smooth some the rough edges the Oticas do not. The Oticas also demand more from the listening room and placement. Finally, of course, the Oticas are a kit and the Sapphires are open the box, plug and play. Fortunately, I'm fully retired with a great wood working shop so the kit is just another project. Not like any I've done before but, hey, that's never stopped me before . LOL!

The final deciding factor? I took an orchestral recording I've listened to many, many times and with the Oticas...I heard details I'd never heard before. This is what I want in my audiophile experience now: to be able to explore a recording and hear what may not be heard on other systems.

So, to basically concur with what Ron B. has put so much better than I, the difference in the speakers, IMHO, is more about lifestyle and resources than "better' sound. It all depends where you are on your audiophile journey.

Not sure this helps. But another 2 cents...

squeedle

« Reply #8 on: 16 Oct 2021, 08:13 pm »
Awesome reply! Thank you for taking the time to share it!

jn316

« Reply #9 on: 16 Oct 2021, 10:30 pm »
Tccaux, I'm curious if you listened to them with the same setup...ie both at Ron's place or both at Danny's place?
Thanks!

Tyson

« Reply #10 on: 16 Oct 2021, 10:46 pm »
Well, I wasn't gong to get into this hunt but I guess my dog just can't stay out of it.... :)

On 10/8/21, I went to Iowa Park and listened to both the Ron B's M3 Sapphires and Danny's NX Oticas. I'd heard the Xtremes and the M3's before but not the Oticas. Based on hearing the Xtreme and the Sapphires earlier, I had put in my order for the M3's. For me, it was a matter of scale.

However, as supply chains everywhere dragged on, I realized I had time to be doubly sure of my choice and began to do more research on the Oticas. Based on that, I realized that some of the reported strengths of the Oticas were more to my listening tastes and more specifically, probably more in line with where I'm currently at on my audiophile journey. I like super detail and exploring a recording. So, I reached out to Ron B. and Danny to listen to both the Oticas and the M3's on the same day. Being the amazing, supportive gentlemen they are, they agreed.

Based on those auditions, I canceled my M3 order and ordered the Oticas with a pair of dual subs. Of course, Clayton was a total pro as well and immediately handled the cancellation. He's a great guy, the company is excellent and the M3's are superb! I'm sure I'll be back to Spatial before this journey is all over.

Also, before anybody gets in a twist...let me say that it was not an easy choice and I do not think I chose the easiest option. As Ron B. and others have declared, the Oticas are sternly unforgiving of bad or mediocre recordings. And, let's face it, there's a lot of that out there. As Ron described and I agree, the Sapphires smooth some the rough edges the Oticas do not. The Oticas also demand more from the listening room and placement. Finally, of course, the Oticas are a kit and the Sapphires are open the box, plug and play. Fortunately, I'm fully retired with a great wood working shop so the kit is just another project. Not like any I've done before but, hey, that's never stopped me before . LOL!

The final deciding factor? I took an orchestral recording I've listened to many, many times and with the Oticas...I heard details I'd never heard before. This is what I want in my audiophile experience now: to be able to explore a recording and hear what may not be heard on other systems.

So, to basically concur with what Ron B. has put so much better than I, the difference in the speakers, IMHO, is more about lifestyle and resources than "better' sound. It all depends where you are on your audiophile journey.

Not sure this helps. But another 2 cents...

You are correct, the NX-Otica's are absolute truth machines.  Only the Super 7's and the Line Force has more natural detail.  That they can attain this level of resolution without tipping over in to what I call "overly analytical" sounding.  The NX series reveals a LOT of information, but they do it in an inherently musical way.

Tccaux

« Reply #11 on: 17 Oct 2021, 01:31 am »
JN, I will not be using a similar setup to either Ron or Danny. I’m afraid I’m an old Snell head and for 20 plus years have only had Snells in my 2 channel and HT set up. My 2 channel fronts are Snell AIII’s, no sub. I don’t do vinyl because I figured a long a time ago that it would drive me to such extreme level of obsessiveness that even I wouldn’t be able to stand me. 😄 My local music library is 95% AFLAC on a MacBook Pro that feeds a PSI Perfect Wave II dac. I’m on Quboz through Audirvāna and that all feeds a McIntosh C2300 tube pre into a pair of B&K 200.1 reference mono blocks. The AIII’s are hungry beasts and need deep power to make them sing. But sing they do.

My listening room is thoroughly treated with absorbers (including ceiling), diffusers and bass traps. So, I’ll put the Oticas in the chain of that rig and work from a familiar baseline. I expect my first venture will be a tube integrated amp. I couldn’t do tubes with the Snells. Yeah, I know…beware of potential tube obsession.

Yeah, I have a bit of a rub with Danny’s rig being the standard for his speakers. And I told him so on my last visit. It’s just too esoteric for many of the consumers who are coming to his market as a result of YouTube and the pandemic (I.e. me). I encourage him to make bandwidth for customers to get more a taste of the speakers in more familiar settings. I would describe what Danny has as more an “analysis room setup” more than just a listening room setup.  That’s perfect for what he needs. But I think these speakers have some real magic to reveal about their “voice” in lots of different setups.

Thanks

jn316

« Reply #12 on: 17 Oct 2021, 02:05 am »
I was just curious if you listened to both, one right after the other, at the same location. Obviously, no one is going to have the exact same rig as either one of them.

Tccaux

« Reply #13 on: 17 Oct 2021, 12:12 pm »
Sorry JN, I misread your question. I listened to the speakers at two different locations one right after another.