Northern CA GTG

MichaelHiFi

Re: Northern CA GTG
« Reply #60 on: 4 Sep 2012, 10:04 pm »
Here's what I have available for test;

NAD M51 Dac

I would Love to hear the Joule Electra OTL's 100WPC on the LS9's  :drool:

Got the Allnic pre I can share.  :)

If someone had a BA truck to loan, I'd bring the V's, but that would mean you'd have to charge admission.

MichaelHiFi

« Reply #61 on: 4 Sep 2012, 10:05 pm »
Did I see the Melody 845's on the list? That would be cool  8)

Cheeseboy

« Reply #62 on: 4 Sep 2012, 10:06 pm »
Do you have a second couch we could put in the room?  I could ask my brother in law to cut some blocks of wood such that we could have "Stadium Seating".  One couch behind the other and slightly higher than the other.  I have a friend who did this in his home theater.   I would be happy to get here early so we can add seating. 

Yeah!  Lena has to be there. 

In my pea brain this event has to serve three functions.

1) Sunil really could benefit from hearing a dedicated two channel system in his room with the LS9's featuring either tubes in front of solid state amps or a 100% tubed pre/amp solution for music.  His crossovers in the speakers need to be on full range.  No subs turned on.  While his room is near perfect for HT not all music can be purchased in multi-channel.  Selfishly I want to hear the LS9's fully trimmed in bottles myself.   Spoil me!  Spoil all of us!

2) Lena has been comparing her new GR Research Super V's to her lingering memory of GR Research LS6's.  If we can give Sunil the listen in tubed product he is looking for then Lena will get her good listen as well to the potential of letting go of the LS products and fully embracing the Super V's in her home today or poor Michael will be wielding power tools in the garage once again.   Sorry Michael but I going to put my money on the LS9's.   I like the dynamics and giant sound stage the Ls deliver.  Don't get me wrong.  I'm not taking a thing away from what the Super V's can do.  My most important stuff is well served by the Ls series.  This line used to allow me to get out of some very sticky situations.   "It's not you, it's me." 

3) The Home Theater system at Sunils home is something that everyone should hear.  The LS speaker line delivers a level of performance that moved me and many others to vote with thier pocketbook and invest in a quality several cuts above the competition.  2 channel or Home Theater you really should hear these.  DIY through GR Research or completed by Hugh at Angel City these speakers kick major ass.   Guarenteed to blow your mind!  They are not for everyone.  They are big and need some room to breath. 

I hope my dreams come true.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #63 on: 4 Sep 2012, 10:11 pm »
SCWJS, i am about 45 minutes from Oakland airport.  you may also want to try Sacramento airport and check out the deals.  commute on saturday shouldn't be a problem.  i think we can easily handle 10-12 people.
Looks like Oakland and Sac are the same price - but both more than Oakland was last week - better make up my mind soon. Expedia was a waste. Oh well, talk to Anne tonight and make a firm decision. I'll chime in after.

soundofrockets

« Reply #64 on: 4 Sep 2012, 10:16 pm »
Steve, i really like your idea of the second couch - stadium seating style.  if your brother in law can do it for us and you can help me bring one down from the top floor - i am in. 

this is shaping up to be really good. 

now we do hope that michael will bring in his superVs.  that would be great.

soundofrockets

« Reply #65 on: 4 Sep 2012, 10:23 pm »
for HT demo.  i do have some demo disc.  but i believe there was a blu ray version from avs.  if anybody in possession of that blu ray disc i would love to play it. 

Also, if we can start compiling list of music to be played.  i mostly listen to indian music - lots of instruments - percussions, air and strings. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #66 on: 4 Sep 2012, 10:41 pm »
for HT demo.  i do have some demo disc.  but i believe there was a blu ray version from avs.  if anybody in possession of that blu ray disc i would love to play it. 

Also, if we can start compiling list of music to be played.  i mostly listen to indian music - lots of instruments - percussions, air and strings.

Which disc (Blu ray)?

I'm guessing the Oppo plays SACD's and DVD-A's - I've got one or two of those.......

soundofrockets

« Reply #67 on: 4 Sep 2012, 10:50 pm »
yes.  i am talking about the Blu Ray HT demo disc.  It was put together by someone on AVS forum. 

Cheeseboy

« Reply #68 on: 4 Sep 2012, 10:56 pm »
I nominate Michael and Morgan to the equipment commitee.  These guys have forgotton more than most know about tubes.  I would leave the gear selection in thier capable hands.  They could be in charge of helping Sunil move things in and out of the system as well.  We could keep on a schedule.

I nominate myself to the refreshment and comfort committee.  When it comes to defining true couch surfing I beleive I am a style bandit.  Wine, finger food and  general potato life are my forte.  Have knives will travel.  I have a new SOTA wine aerator and will do some shopping for best value fruit forward reds and approachable whites.  All I ask is that all attendees weigh in as red white or beer. 

How many legs are on the couch we are bringing downstairs?

soundofrockets

« Reply #69 on: 4 Sep 2012, 11:11 pm »
the couch upstairs is kind of bulky - but comfortable - i think between you, me, my son and maybe morgan we should be ok.  when i go home i can measure the length and width so your brother in law has any idea about the "stage' to built. 

SoCalWJS

« Reply #70 on: 5 Sep 2012, 02:14 am »
Got the OK to play bachelor for the day.....

Got room for 1 more?

soundofrockets

« Reply #71 on: 5 Sep 2012, 02:23 am »
Sure.  Just have some fun

Cheeseboy

« Reply #72 on: 5 Sep 2012, 03:53 am »
New direction for the couch.  I was told that Bed Bath and Beyond sells bed risers that go onto the bed posts and they work for couches too!!!!!!!!!!  Yowza!

Helen just handed me a 20% off coupon for BBand B.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #73 on: 6 Sep 2012, 02:31 am »
Awright - who's bringing what music?  :icon_twisted:

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #74 on: 6 Sep 2012, 02:33 am »
I'll bring some Rap.

SlushPuppy

« Reply #75 on: 6 Sep 2012, 02:37 am »
I'll bring some Rap.

Audiophile approved Rap  8)

SoCalWJS

« Reply #76 on: 6 Sep 2012, 02:38 am »
I nominate Michael and Morgan to the equipment commitee.  These guys have forgotton more than most know about tubes.  I would leave the gear selection in thier capable hands.  They could be in charge of helping Sunil move things in and out of the system as well.  We could keep on a schedule.

I nominate myself to the refreshment and comfort committee.  When it comes to defining true couch surfing I beleive I am a style bandit.  Wine, finger food and  general potato life are my forte.  Have knives will travel.  I have a new SOTA wine aerator and will do some shopping for best value fruit forward reds and approachable whites.  All I ask is that all attendees weigh in as red white or beer. 

How many legs are on the couch we are bringing downstairs?
What's the story on this aerator?

Not too fruit forward on those reds, now.... (I'm going to try to pick up a bottle after I land - something a bit more in the other direction) :green:

Anything else needed?

SoCalWJS

« Reply #77 on: 6 Sep 2012, 02:39 am »
Audiophile approved Rap  8)
There's such a thing??????!!!!.......... :o

Hugh

• Industry Participant
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #78 on: 6 Sep 2012, 02:43 am »

SlushPuppy

« Reply #79 on: 6 Sep 2012, 02:47 am »
There's such a thing??????!!!!.......... :o

Yes. Not one of my favorite styles of music, but you'd be surprised how well some of it was recorded. Most of the later Beastie Boys albums come to mind. It was a joke reply anyway.