GR Servo Down Firing or Front Firing?

jparkhur

GR Servo Down Firing or Front Firing?
« on: 8 Oct 2012, 05:04 pm »
?  What are the benefits of downward firing vs forward firing a sub?  I think? this has something to do with the sub loads the room?  Carpet, wood etc?  Please advise.  I was think of the batch of 12 inch subs that we were all talking about and the possibility of some saying they wanted to use it as a stand, thus the dimensions would be different.  Similar to the old ACI subs or new Zu one.. In shape only...  Thoughts......I was thinking the GR 12 and the 370 amp would look similar with the possibility of those having N3s or Neo 2's to put them on.

nickd

Re: GR Servo Down Firing or Front Firing?
« Reply #1 on: 8 Oct 2012, 07:51 pm »
I prefer front firing for general sub use. The upper harmonics are filtered out somewhat in a downfiring design by the floor so you can get a hole in the response if used with a mini monitor or planar with limited LF extension.

The floor firing works great for 50hz and down assuming the mains have a respectable bottom end. Downfiring subs tend to dissapear a little better too. REL has had a lot of success with downfiring designs.

jparkhur

« Reply #2 on: 8 Oct 2012, 08:20 pm »
I prefer front firing for general sub use. The upper harmonics are filtered out somewhat in a downfiring design by the floor so you can get a hole in the response if used with a mini monitor or planar with limited LF extension.

The floor firing works great for 50hz and down assuming the mains have a respectable bottom end. Downfiring subs tend to dissapear a little better too. REL has had a lot of success with downfiring designs.

Nick  How are the Super V's.... Still going     ???

nickd

« Reply #3 on: 8 Oct 2012, 11:24 pm »
Hey Jon,
The Super V's still rock :guitar:

I may be moving in a few months so i'm not sure how my new room will be :dunno:

I built a pair of audio artistry CBT46 (active) a couple of months ago and have been playing with them the past few weeks. going to RMAF to visit Danny friday. can't wait to see how the Super 7 compares to the Super V.