So? Where is the TAAS

mantisory

• My Blog
So? Where is the TAAS
« on: 26 Oct 2010, 06:11 pm »
So I was just wondering..TAAS started up a few years ago and has basically gone bust from what I can tell. Is anyone out there still interested? Last I heard there were problems because there was no where to have meetings...I always thought that meetings could be had on a smaller scale at members houses...oh well..

lo_tse

Re: So? Where is the TAAS
« Reply #1 on: 27 Oct 2010, 12:04 am »
It is a real shame, isn't it?  I still remember when TAAS first started up, the responses were tremendous.  Then suddenly, nobody seemed to be interested anymore :(. I think there are still people interested.  A case in point, the meeting in the summer of 2009 at Newmarket, I estimated there were about 60-70 people showed up, plus a number of maufacturers were present too.  I guess it all depends who is organising the meet (and where). If I remembered correctly, there were other meets held in the past 2-3years at Barrie that had  good turn outs (except that one time spoiled by a big snow storm).

I always enjoy the small get-together at Tony's place.  Of course, we cannot impose on Tony all the time.

Lo-Tse

mcgsxr

« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2010, 08:57 pm »
I am one of the ones in the bad books for sure - I have desired to, but failed to, show up at Tony's a couple of times, and I am sure Marc C has worn out of my excuses!

I just find that my time for meets has dramatically reduced over the past 2 years, from when I used to make the time for them.

I have still found time to connect with fellow local audiogeeks, but more one on one vs larger gatherings.

mantisory

• My Blog
« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2010, 03:27 pm »
Yeah, it sure lost steam..
I wonder - it seems that we had great response at those first meets in the cabinet shop of dayglows...but after that there was talk of a yearly fee and i think that kinda killed it, I am not sure...
Oh well, it was worth a try :P
b

hogwild

« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2010, 06:25 pm »
Well, why don't we do something about it then?

I can' arrange too much, but I'd be happy to make some contribution
to planning or pay my share for a restaurant meetup or towards food/drink
at someone's house.

Over on *iyaudio.com, (abbreviation for do it yourself) they have a Southern Ontario DIYFest,
and they've tried to arrange a Toronto-area one, but the first try ran into some logistical
problems. Perhaps we can cross-pollinate and get members from both
forums together?

I have no gear to show per se, but I'm trying to learn, particularly open baffle.
I have a friend who is also into audio who might be able to bring a piece or
two of kit gear.

hogwild

lo_tse

« Reply #5 on: 21 Nov 2010, 04:16 pm »
Yeah, why not!  I was actually planning to attend that DIY group meet. Again, it start out fast and furious but die down quickly too! 
I am also able to help out with the arangements and contribute my share when needed.  Hell, we know there are a good number of audiophiles (whether they have DIY aspirations or not) in this big area (around GTA), there has to be sufficient interests to get something going!  Having said that, I understand that venue for a meeting is always an issue.  Anyone has any suggestions?

Lo-tse

hogwild

« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2010, 05:08 pm »
Well, to that end, I just posted on diyaudio.com, in the thread

Southern Ontario diyFEST
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/clubs-events/160456-southern-ontario-diyfest.html

A meetup was tentatively scheduled, but then had to be cancelled for logistical reasons.
I have offered to host a group of 15 or less at my place, assuming no one gets crazy.

:-)

hogwild

Yeah, why not!  I was actually planning to attend that DIY group meet. Again, it start out fast and furious but die down quickly too! 
I am also able to help out with the arangements and contribute my share when needed.  Hell, we know there are a good number of audiophiles (whether they have DIY aspirations or not) in this big area (around GTA), there has to be sufficient interests to get something going!  Having said that, I understand that venue for a meeting is always an issue.  Anyone has any suggestions?

Lo-tse