Songtowers bass

apstoltz

Songtowers bass
« on: 30 Mar 2016, 12:17 am »
Well, my kids and I were listening to "cheerleader" mostly them, but let me say there is a low note in the song that really show what the songtowers can do down deep.  Unbelievable. My new amp sounds great with the salks. Happy owner. Had to share.

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
Re: Songtowers bass
« Reply #1 on: 30 Mar 2016, 12:54 am »
get into diy speakers,for bass nothing beats a vented box,diy you'll save thousands of $s

srb

« Reply #2 on: 30 Mar 2016, 01:00 am »
get into diy speakers,for bass nothing beats a vented box,diy you'll save thousands of $s

Keep posting.  It's entirely possible that one out of a thousand times you might come up with a meaningful and context-relative post.  :scratch:

apstoltz, glad you're enjoying the Salk SongTowers, a popular, pleasing and high-value speaker!

Steve

G Georgopoulos

• Restricted
« Reply #3 on: 30 Mar 2016, 01:34 am »
Keep posting.  It's entirely possible that one out of a thousand times you might come up with a meaningful and context-relative post.  :scratch:

Steve

999,9 out of a thousand better bass,diy a winner! no doubt about it... :green:

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 30 Mar 2016, 01:46 am »
One possible place for that discussion would be the Enclosures forum, or the Lab, or DIY. (_!_) Isn't it cool that there are all these different forums and threads here, that you can participate (or not) in discussions of almost any audio- or music-related topic that interests you, and skip over the ones that don't. This place is great!!!!

As I understand it, the topic in this particular thread is the Salk Songtower speaker system; specifically its low-frequency capabilities.

Unlike some, I have heard the Songtowers (I named them actually, in a contest here) and unless you need serious 'slam' in a large room, their bass is pretty impressive. Somehow I don't see myself bettering Dennis' and Jim's work on a DIY basis, but who knows.

srb, I salute you sir. Only thirteen more posts to go if you're right...  I suppose there's a first time for everything.

PSB Guy

« Reply #5 on: 30 Mar 2016, 02:24 am »
Back on topic, the bass extension on the SongTowers, and in my case, the SongBirds, is remarkable. Sight unseen, most people would never guess they had 5" drivers. On top of that, they are a terrific bargain.

Cornelis

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 30 Mar 2016, 02:29 am »
PSB guy, I see the AVA unit in your avatar (which I suppose makes it an AVAtar); is that what you're driving yours with? That's the integrated?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #7 on: 30 Mar 2016, 03:34 am »

I know your posts aren't serious, but for the record, the Song Tower started life as a DIY design.  I decided to turn it over to Jim for commercial purposes just so more people could have access to it.  And when you figure in the parts cost, cabinet cost, and any compensation at all for the hours that would go into building a pair, they're a bargain in finished form shipped from Pontiac, Mich. 

PSB Guy

« Reply #8 on: 30 Mar 2016, 12:46 pm »
PSB guy, I see the AVA unit in your avatar (which I suppose makes it an AVAtar); is that what you're driving yours with? That's the integrated?
Yeah, that's a picture of the Synergy Control Amp taken directly from the AVA site. I've had one since they came out. It replaced an Insight Control Amp that I use elsewhere. In my small living space, it is the perfect solution, unfortunately I don't have room for separates. It drives the relatively inefficient SongBirds (85 db) just fine, I never have the volume past the 11 o'clock position.

Cornelis

charmerci

« Reply #9 on: 30 Mar 2016, 04:23 pm »
Well, my kids and I were listening to "cheerleader" mostly them, but let me say there is a low note in the song that really show what the songtowers can do down deep.  Unbelievable. My new amp sounds great with the salks. Happy owner. Had to share.

Can you post your equipment into your Systems? I know you've got more than one!  :thumb:

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #10 on: 30 Mar 2016, 08:53 pm »

When my wife and I opened our NYC coffee shop in 2012, I knew I would be spending a lot more time working and less time at home with the HT2-TLs. I had Jim build us 4 Songbird surrounds for our sound system. These are paired to a 4 channel Adcom amp, and Audioquest Drangonfly USB DAC and a Linux server serving FLAC files[1] in the basement. Our space is 1600sf with the Songbirds mounted on wall brackets.

I was, and still am, astounded at how deep and unstrained these play at even the loudest settings with decent recordings. We routinely have employees and customers make it a point to remark at how good our speakers sound. Many of them are musicians, opera singers, music teachers and one soon to be recording engineer.

But the real fun  is after 7pm when the customers are gone and the Salks are turned *way* up. I feel like I'm letting out 4 starving adolescent mongooses out of their cages. But they're also refined enough to easily hear differences between 16bit and 24 bit recordings.

If I only knew how good they would be I would have ordered the MTM versions instead.

[1] Most of our music is FLAC and all play lists freshly made, much like our pastries and espresso.

apstoltz

« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2016, 02:35 am »

Can you post your equipment into your Systems? I know you've got more than one!  :thumb:

Sure thing, my 2 channel rig is the songtowers running an iPad into a arcam dac feeding into an onkyo 9555 that I am tinkering with while I await my odyssey Khartago and Vincent or the new van alstine 10rb preamp. To finish this setup off I want to get a turntable and CD player to make sure I have all my components covered. In my profile I need to post all my gear :) .

floresjc

« Reply #12 on: 1 Apr 2016, 02:39 am »

I've had my original type Songtowers since 2009. They've been hooked up to my PC through a Insight DAC and Ultra EC pre since 2010. I use them for everything from gaming to listening to music on Foobar. Great speakers.

Stacked up side by side against my HT2-TLs you can tell the HT2's are overall better speakers (and at the time somewhere around double or more the cost), but if i were stranded on a desert island with Songtowers, I'd be perfectly happy with them.

Rich5616

« Reply #13 on: 1 Apr 2016, 03:42 pm »
I second that emotion.

knucklehead

« Reply #14 on: 8 Apr 2016, 04:52 am »
I've had my song towers (OW2 Tweeter - in Fireburst finish over Curly Cherry for the inquiring minds) for nearly a year now and each time I sit down for some relaxation and music I'm always pleasantly surprised at the seamless bass to mid bass notes. No more playing around with electronic crossovers and subs with placement etc to make things sound smooth at the crossover points. I was highly skeptical that a pair of 5" drivers could deliver such low bass. Well I'm here to tell you I'm a believer now! I've had a few friends accuse me of having one of my (3) subs on!

For the record on how I found my way to Salk Sound - I read a bunch of pages posted by Nuance over on AVS prior to buying these. I had to give them a tryout but didn't wish to get into them too deep 'just in case'. Being retired causes one to learn frugality! I was fortunate to find a pair in good used shape. One speaker needed some 'slight' repair so it took a detour to Jim's shop where it was patched up and made new again. Jim and his crew certainly did a great job on the repairs. I really don't think I'll ever want another pair of main speakers. These fill the bill for me. Dennis and Jim created a real winner with these speakers.

I use a Parasound 2100 preamp driving a Crown XLS-1500 amp to the song towers. Most of my music comes off my HTPC (Linux) in flac form via Clementine. Sounds wonderful to me. I can't ask for more than that!