DACT Remote kit

samplesj

DACT Remote kit
« on: 18 Mar 2007, 02:50 am »
Has DACT shortened the screws on their volume control?  The screws won't reach all the way to the threads when I use the motor plate and the plastic spacer.  It fits just to the start of the threads (motor plate, plastic spacer, dact rear circuit board, but not to the threads below their board.

Should I file the spacer down some?  If that is a bad idea what is the pitch on the threads?  Its smaller than 4/40 I know for sure.

samplesj

Re: DACT Remote kit
« Reply #1 on: 19 Mar 2007, 08:39 pm »
Ok, so I filed both down using a metal file and holding it in a wire cutter/stripper/pincher tool.  I must have dropped them a dozen times on the concrete floor with sawdust everywhere.  Luckily I found them both every time until I got it small enough.

Of course I'd filed the two pieces unevenly and the motor bound (one side taller than the other).  So I took it off and was filing the taller one to match when I pushed it out of my tool with the file.  I found it on the floor again and when I reached down to get it with a pinch between finger and thumb, it shot out never to be seen again.

However I did have a few blobs of glue where my hot glue gun had cooled and dripped.  Since I've used it on several projects I knew it wasn't conductive.  I took a small blob and punched the middle out with a small jewler's screwdriver.  After pinching it to size it fit perfectly.  The motor turns the control just fine now.

Its actually much easier to get the blob just right (especially since it will compress a bit), so unless there is a potential issue with deterioration down the road, it may be the fastest fix if anyone else has too short screws on their switch and doesn't have access to longer ones.

Its installed and working great in my new Clarinet.  The pics are over here.

Thanks for putting a kit like this together for the DIY market.  I'd have just given up before spending the time needed to get IR and the motor to interface nicely.

John Chapman

• Facilitator
    • http://www.bentaudio.com
Re: DACT Remote kit
« Reply #2 on: 26 Mar 2007, 12:36 pm »
Hello!

Yikes - I feel bad about this late reply.... I have been away in Japan for a short time and am just back and catching up now. With the dact remote kits you should find a small bag with even smaller screws inside - these are the longer screws needed to fasten the plate to the dact - as you found the stock screws do not reach. I either hid them in the packing or by chance missed them in packing. Very sorry for the hassles - bad timing being away. A few issues have come up while I was away and I am chasing things down today....

Many Thansk!

John