vintage Pioneer M-10x

drphoto

vintage Pioneer M-10x
« on: 18 Jul 2023, 12:25 am »
I needed a decent, but cheap solution to have audio while I get one of my mono block amps repaired. So I picked up this amp for a bit over $200 from eBay. 50w/ch. Mosfet and fairly good size but cheap transformer. I absolutely can not complain. Obviously not the last word in detail, soundstage or anything, but It sounds just fine. In fact, combined w/ my Audiolab 6000 CDT/stan warren modded DacMagic>Mapletree 4se ultra>Merlin TSM-MMe in desktop setup.....I'm actually enjoying the music. It's actually better than I expected.

I got the MIJ 1990 version in the sorta tacky piano black case. There was one offered in a nicer aluminum case, but $100 more. My big beef is it has those crappy cheap binding post you find on consumer grade gear. (at least not the god awful spring loaded terminals on a lot of vintage gear)

Anyway, for someone starting out, or second system, this era of vintage might be worth exploring. I think the 70's MIJ stuff that seems really popular is overrated. My first amp I got when I was 15 was a Marantz 1060 integrated. Mid fi at best.

mix4fix

• Volunteer
  • I reject your music, and substitute my own.
Re: vintage Pioneer M-10x
« Reply #1 on: 18 Jul 2023, 03:02 pm »
Pioneeer Elite?

Nice...

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 18 Jul 2023, 03:38 pm »
Pioneer has wandered into highish end fidelity for decades, putting a toe in the water so to speak.   The Pioneer Exclusive TT is still excellent.  Then the Elite series of gear, then Pioneer/TAD.  You could certainly do worse.

But that Marantz 1060 Integrated  :icon_frown:.... woof.  In my early days I bought one new and powered the big Advents... until the warranty expired. And just like it was on a timer, it died never to make music again.   

drphoto

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2023, 03:10 am »
I'm listening to Sheryl Crowes' wonderful first album at an almost silly loud volume (my poor ears!) Wow....this Pioneer holds up. I mean, there's nothing to complain about. It's detailed, not a bit harsh and punchy. I've thought about trying to add a better power input socket (it uses a weird 2 pole connector which disallows aftermarket power cables) and better speaker terminals. But it was always meant to be a stop gap. So probably pass on the upgrades, though I did actually by a conventional IEC power socket.

For a cheap (affordable) amp.....it's a total winner :thumb:

I'm actually finally enjoying listening to my Merlins more than I ever did in the past. I think that's mainly due to getting the Audiolab 6000 CDT. Damn, this thing is all that.  My old Stan Warren Modded Aiwa just didn't cut it. His version of the original DacMagic still holds up. I have a Geshelli on order but I don't know if they're ever gonna deliver (been like 2 months) Plan on getting a Denefrips Ares 2 down the road.

Oh...the NOS RCA signal tubes & NOS Mullard rectifier in the Mapletree pre just put the icing on the cake.

drphoto

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2023, 03:35 am »
Oh, in reply to Mr. Clark. Yeah, I think this this cult around a lot to the 70's era MIJ stuff that is totally unwarranted. It seems like all of it was mid-fi....at best. I don't get it......if ya wanna get nostalgic go for Dynaco, or if ya have the money, older Mac, or CJ. etc (I had a CJ PV-3 and MV-45 back in the day and they were lovely) And yeah.....that seems to be tube vs SS. If ya want vintage SS...NAD, Adcom (yeah....the GFA-555 was pretty awesome....had 2) then of course the real Pass Lab stuff, maybe Hafler, & others, like Accuphase.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2023, 10:56 am »
Remember that Dr Geddes used the Pioneer VSX D912 receiver to demo his speakers at an audio show because it had the lowest measured switching distortion of any amp that he measured.  One of our members traded out thousands of dollars of equipment for one, the only rub was that you needed to use 16 ohm speakers to reap the full benefits.  I still have one and it does sound very clear and airy.

drphoto

« Reply #6 on: 24 Jul 2023, 08:36 pm »
I should probably not make blanket statements about anything.  I know that when Rob (Marbles) used to hang out here he had a bunch of 70's era Sansei gear that he really liked. I don't remember when I visited that we ever listened to any of that gear.

I mean, what I know about anything? My first car was a Chevy Vega, considered one of the worst cars ever made. It served me fine. I beat the shit out of it, but it never broke, never rusted or leaked oil. Was eventually traded for a Chevy LUV pickup when I started painting houses in the summer when in HS. Now that was a piece of crap. Think it started to rust on the lot.  :duh:

azimuth48

• Stereo Azimuth - YouTube
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2024, 02:54 am »
Those are excellent amps. I sold many Ellie stuff back in the day and was always fantastic stuff.