Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
Re: Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?
« Reply #260 on: 11 Dec 2010, 02:53 pm »
Would be interesting if they are adopting some of that company's business model which I think worked well enough it was other stuff that caused their demise.  I like Zu and think with some mass exposure and a proper plan they could thrive beyond the hi-fi scene. 

Charles Xavier

« Reply #261 on: 11 Dec 2010, 02:55 pm »
Would be interesting if they are adopting some of that company's business model which I think worked well enough it was other stuff that caused their demise.  I like Zu and think with some mass exposure and a proper plan they could thrive beyond the hi-fi scene. 

I agree whole heartedly

Gopher

« Reply #262 on: 11 Dec 2010, 03:12 pm »
There is a plan in place and it does involve transcending into other markets than just the hifi crowd, but I'm pretty stunned at what they are able to let stuff go for.

Freight alone on a pair of speakers has gotta be over a hundred bucks, adding in the cost of labor/materials, their state of the art paint booths and equipment, etc and now clearing enough profit to share profits with other manufacturers for their bundles and it just seems like the margins have to be thin.

I'm no economist and I know from conversations their new CEO is very intelligent, but at least this phase of their new business model looks too good to be sustained.

Don't get me wrong, I'm trying to convince my little brother to take advantage and buy some B-stock omens :)
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2010, 05:55 pm by Gopher »

ecod123

« Reply #263 on: 12 Dec 2010, 05:05 am »
I think a pair of the B stock omens would be an easy way to evaluate.....and with 60 days and shipping covered both ways.....no brainer....I even considered ordering a pair just to compare the two.

I called about the B-stocks and was told there's no return the B-stocks.

Were you told otherwise?

ecod123

« Reply #264 on: 12 Dec 2010, 05:28 am »

Particularly interesting in the Omen/Virtue/Mission speaker cable package at $1500 shipped.

Yes, that, and the Omen/Decco2 combo. Figure the Omen at the BF $999 and 3.0 Mission LC at BF $200, which make the Decco2 and Virtue Two.2 very attractively priced in those combos pricing. Not in the market for either, otherwise I will have to lock up my wallet and credit cards.

morganc

« Reply #265 on: 12 Dec 2010, 06:10 am »
I was not told otherwise, I guess I just assumed it based on my original purchase.  However, if they are even as close to as good as the Omen Def's, then they are a good deal for sure. 

Mariusz

« Reply #266 on: 12 Dec 2010, 06:28 am »
$799 Omen speakers
$300 Dodd buffer kit
$220 Class D amp kit
Add DAC, wireless streamer or cheap Oppo player and you got awesome little system.
And I guaranty that it will put many, far more expensive systems to shame.

Took advantage of B stock sale and bought phono 1.5m cable for $99 ($399 list).  :duh:

I can get used to these prices...... :icon_twisted:

ecod123

« Reply #267 on: 12 Dec 2010, 06:53 am »
I was not told otherwise, I guess I just assumed it based on my original purchase.  However, if they are even as close to as good as the Omen Def's, then they are a good deal for sure.

Oh, I see.

BTW, congrats on the Omen Defs!

Poultrygeist

« Reply #268 on: 12 Dec 2010, 12:36 pm »
I have the Sure TK2050 Class D board amp + Meanwell PS from Parts Express and with a tube pre it's a fine match for the Omens.

morganc

« Reply #269 on: 12 Dec 2010, 06:06 pm »
Oh, I see.

BTW, congrats on the Omen Defs!

Thanks!  I am very impressed with the Omen Def's.  I spent  a lot of time moving the speakers around and my furniture yesterday and already they are so much more impressive than any other speaker I have had in my system. 

sebrof

« Reply #270 on: 13 Dec 2010, 02:52 pm »
So I've been following this thread for weeks and I think the Tekton's just are not getting any love! Doesn't anyone else own a pair of Tektons? I've had mine for maybe a month. I'd say they might have a 100 hours or so on them.
I originally inquired about the Lore. After talking to Eric, we came up with something he thought might work better for me, given my room, system and music preferences. Mine are kind of a cross between the old and new Katz Meow speaker, finished in walnut. They feature the cabinet and Fostex driver from the original Katz with the Audax gold tweeter from the new version. I was offered this speaker in black for $850.00, plus shipping. I wanted them finished in walnut. As it was, I was able to have this speaker, finished in walnut, delivered to my house at right around $1200.00.
My listening room is tiny, maybe 10' X 12'. My music preference is classical, acoustic, classical, jazz, classical, rock, classical, rock and, oh yeah, classical.
The rest of my system is a Clearaudio Concept with a Maestro MM cartridge, PS Audio phono stage, Denon 2900 used as a transport with a PS Audio DAC, an itty bitty Parasound tuner, a Conrad Johnson Classic preamp [no longer for sale] and, last but not least, an Almarro A205mk.II integrated [with Gold Lion tubes], used here as a power amp. All cabling is mid level Audioquest.
This system puts out a stunning 5wpc. The Tektons just fly with the 5 watts. If I could describe the sound, the first word that comes to mind would be "clean". Tone is spot on, great dynamics, great detail. Excellent bass response. Right out of the box, they were ugly. Within around an hour or so, they started making music. They continue to sound better and better, the more I play them.
They are so clean sounding, they take a little getting used to. I am appreciating the bass in these more and more. At first listen, one might think they are bass shy. Not so. It's back to that clean thing again. If bass is in the recording, the Tektons will play it. The bass presentation is different from what you hear on regular loudspeakers but it's certainly there. You get used to it pretty quick. I expect these will continue to get better yet as more music is played through them.
No idea how they would stack up against the Zu but I'm happy with them. Eric Alexander mentioned that they Lore was designed for people who want to rock. In a big room. He said these would offer a more refined, detailed sound while working much better in my tiny listening room. He was right, I love them! Anyone around Baltimore interested in hearing them is welcome to drop by for a visit. There are a few more pics in my gallery.

A little late with this post, just saw it.
I have the same Tekton Katz Meow you have, except mine has the bullet super tweeter, and black. I had them in my man cave and last weekend I brought them and my amp into the living room. I work from home and wanted to try having decent music playing while I work (can't stand my crappy desktop setup for long). After doing that I realized that having good tunes really changes my mood and my workday, so I looked to get another pair of speakers. Looked at Tekton Lore but with all the love / hate regarding the Zu stuff I figured it's a good time to try the Omens. I ordered a pair (MD @ $999). If the Omens better the Katz, I'll have them in my main rig. If not I'll either send them back or keep them in the living room. Not sure when I'll get them, probably at least 4 weeks. I'll post after I hear them.

As far as the Tektons are concerned - Fantastic speakers. These are my first full rangers and I really like them a lot. They really play well with my 2A3 SET amp for just about all types of music. Very smooth and intoxicating sound. Can't say enough about them. If I do send the Omens back I'll probably look to get the Lore from Eric.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #271 on: 13 Dec 2010, 03:03 pm »
I figured it's a good time to try the Omens... I'll post after I hear them.

Before drawing a conclusion, burn them in with some SS muscle.  Not sure how many hours are required.

sebrof

« Reply #272 on: 13 Dec 2010, 03:32 pm »
Before drawing a conclusion, burn them in with some SS muscle.  Not sure how many hours are required.
I plan to put the Omens in the man cave, close the door, and drive them with an old Yamaha R-2000 receiver, 150 watts. That'll teach 'em!
I won't do that "out of phase, facing each other, blanket over them" thing though, that's just a little too goofy for me.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #273 on: 13 Dec 2010, 10:43 pm »
If this were a beauty contest the Omens would win hands down.

Merle

• http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=albums.php
« Reply #274 on: 13 Dec 2010, 11:29 pm »
Man, glad to see SOMEBODY else has a pair of the Tektons! I do have to agree with the last poster about the beauty contest. The Omens do win hands down. My walnut Tektons might not be the best looking speakers I've owned but they do sing! I suppose you could even call them ugly but I prefer funky. Not sure how many hours I have on the Tektons now but I'm finding I'm listening to more music than I have in years. To me, that's a good sign. Probably a good two hours a day or more. The Tektons keep sounding better and better, not sure how much more they might change. The bass has really come on. Either that or I'm really getting adjusted to what the Tektons do. Probably a little of both. In my small room, the 5 watt Almarro will drive them way louder than I'd care to listen. No problem running them with just a few watts. Just wish we were able to hear about the Tektons vs the Zu's head to head. My speakers do look funny but boy do they sing!

skeeter99

« Reply #275 on: 13 Dec 2010, 11:57 pm »
What worries me is another company used to do the same thing and now they are no more

Why whatever company do you mean  :lol:

morganc

« Reply #276 on: 14 Dec 2010, 12:39 am »
Here are a few of my pics.....no pro and the room is in disarray, but sounding much better :thumb:

skeeter99

« Reply #277 on: 14 Dec 2010, 01:49 am »
Here are a few of my pics.....no pro and the room is in disarray, but sounding much better :thumb:

Beautiful setup and the view is gorgeous! The rack looks like a Onix Rack 3 without one of the shelves ... Very nice!!

morganc

« Reply #278 on: 14 Dec 2010, 02:15 am »
Thanks.....it was an amazing sunset here Saturday with the fog rolling in.   And  good eyes on the rack.....it works great.....

skeeter99

« Reply #279 on: 14 Dec 2010, 02:40 am »
Thanks.....it was an amazing sunset here Saturday with the fog rolling in.   And  good eyes on the rack.....it works great.....

They are great racks, incredibly heavy and inert. I have one that's how I recognized it  :thumb: Is that a Melody amp also?? I'm gonna have the new MK88 (http://reviews.audioreview.com/blog/melody-is-offering-a-special-introductory-pricing-on-the-mk88-tube-amp/) at my house for my GTG in January. MMM ... those things are hot!