Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?

JoMoCo

• Large Format - Big Sound...
Re: Zu Omen - Factory Steering
« Reply #240 on: 3 Dec 2010, 12:25 am »
Having a solid surface rather than carpet underneath has a big impact on the bass with a speaker that vents out of the bottom.  However my concern with the speaker tilted as such without being anchored down to the plinth is gravity + vibration = trouble.
Definately will address but during breakin...not so much until after the Zu400 hour meter.  I will be keeping an eye out for larger and heavier pads maybe some weight on the top of the cab to load too... :thumb:

Looking forward to finding out about the PE pads application, Mariusz. Keep us posted.

Mariusz

« Reply #241 on: 3 Dec 2010, 01:48 am »
Having a solid surface rather than carpet underneath has a big impact on the bass with a speaker that vents out of the bottom.  However my concern with the speaker tilted as such without being anchored down to the plinth is gravity + vibration = trouble.

Tilt option/recommendations by Zu is not only impractical due to:
•Steep  slope necessary to compensate for shorter listener-to-speaker distance and ear level height
• weird effect of bottom bass loading arrangement. Where in some instances, back of the speaker must be lowered almost to "0" clearance and front raised as much as 1 inch or even more. Because "ports"/slots are placed on all 4 sides of the bottom of the speaker, at least one "port"/slot will end up with almost no clearance. That might be also true for 2 side slots/ports. This arrangement might be even more problematic if speakers end up placed on think carpet or area rug.
• and last but not least -  timing and phase coherence. Zu Omens seem to be sailing against the wind. And it appears that unless Zu engineering included some kind of compensation network in their crossover to correct this (I doubt it), Omen's setup could be very difficult (if not impossible) to get it right. Unless you're less sensitive to drivers timing, alignment, phase compensation.

but..
the whole process is kind of awkward.

Definately will address but during breakin...not so much until after the Zu400 hour meter.  I will be keeping an eye out for larger and heavier pads maybe some weight on the top of the cab to load too... :thumb:

Looking forward to finding out about the PE pads application, Mariusz. Keep us posted.

Hi there
Foam pads I ordered will substitute Quietcoat acoustic paint. Same price but totally reversible affair.

P.S
To reduce tilt and possibility of crashing backwards (with help of kids, pets ... wives), raising speakers could make a lot of sense. It shouldn't be difficult to try. Use Zu own packing (top/bottom) foam squares. Place wood board or plywood on top of it, then speakers... viola :thumb:
If you like what you hear, look for more sound solution like - butcher block with heavy feet from Mapleshade or ........ Well, just use your imagination.  :wink:
 :thumb:

I have raised the Omens about 4" from the floor. Listening distance is some 12-14'. And they are some 8-9' apart. I'm using brass spiked maple (2") platforms, 15x15" made by Timbernation. I used to use them under my Omega 8"XRSs as well. I think the performance of the Omens won't suffer, actually I like them a lot. And they also look pretty good. Pics will follow later.

I'm driving them with my 15W Tektron EL34 PSE amp, the sound is powerful, surprisingly smooth, dynamic and quite big, even though I'm using only my EE DAC's own volume control, so no any special preamp in the chain at the moment. That'll be taken care in the future though. Cables used Zu's Mission loudspeaker cable and Chimera DIY ics.

I used to own the Druids some years ago..so even not broken in yet, I'd say, Zu's sound has progressed and took some healthy steps for the better. But I do also recognize the famous Zu sound here - but I like it!

These do ROCK!

jouni

Glad to hear you like your new Omens.
How is that raising Omens working out for you?
BTW very nice amp you got there. :wink:
 :beer:

Mariusz

« Reply #242 on: 3 Dec 2010, 02:02 am »
Link to Sonic Barrier from PE -  click here  :thumb:

« Last Edit: 3 Dec 2010, 04:16 am by Mariusz »

Mariusz

« Reply #243 on: 10 Dec 2010, 08:11 am »
Omens B-stock $799
Now that's definitely cheerful!!!!!

BTW. Panels came in - will cut and post my findings over the weekend.

Poultrygeist

Re: Re: Zu Omen - cheap or cheerful or both?
« Reply #244 on: 11 Dec 2010, 12:42 am »
Here's an easy way I was able to get a very stable backward tilt on the Omens while raising them off the floor a bit:

I replaced the factory carpet spikes with (4) 3 x 3/8 inch hex bolts for the front legs and (4) 2 X 3/8 inch hex bolts for the rear legs. I used the partially threaded bolts from Home Depot so the threads are not visable and the bolt heads make nice looking feet. I'm getting tighter bass with the increased distance from the floor and with the back of the speakers lower than the front dispersion is improved.

Each Omen now rests on two commercial grade floor mats from HD glued together. The material is acoustically dead with no reflection.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #245 on: 11 Dec 2010, 12:57 am »
I probably won't dampen the Omens but if I did I might go with Lowe's Peel and Stick which is cheap and deader than Dynamat. I recently helped a friend dampen his truck and the stuff works great.

Gopher

« Reply #246 on: 11 Dec 2010, 01:01 am »
They also have some B-stock cables listed for 75% off.

I havent tried them, but that makes for some cheap, sub $100 mission wiring to go with the omens.

morganc

« Reply #247 on: 11 Dec 2010, 01:39 am »
Omen Defs in the house :D.....they just arrived and out of the box are a significant upgrade in my space over the Essence.  As my girlfriend says, it feels like we are at the concert. I am especially drawn to the very spacious sound stage, the increased bass, and the livliness of the presentation.  I am no expert audiophile, and I am not usually able to describe very eloquently that which I hear, but I can say that these rock :thumb: :thumb:

Gopher

« Reply #248 on: 11 Dec 2010, 02:02 am »
Omen Defs in the house :D.....they just arrived and out of the box are a significant upgrade in my space over the Essence.  As my girlfriend says, it feels like we are at the concert. I am especially drawn to the very spacious sound stage, the increased bass, and the livliness of the presentation.  I am no expert audiophile, and I am not usually able to describe very eloquently that which I hear, but I can say that these rock :thumb: :thumb:

Lucky you!  Zus latest moves have turned me into a real fan boy!  I'm very curious about the Omen Defs and the upcoming Soul Defs. 

My Superflys keep me very happy, but its hard to ignore what these guys are working on.

JoMoCo

• Large Format - Big Sound...
« Reply #249 on: 11 Dec 2010, 02:14 am »
Here's an easy way I was able to get a very stable backward tilt on the Omens while raising them off the floor a bit:

I replaced the factory carpet spikes with (4) 3 x 3/8 inch hex bolts for the front legs and (4) 2 X 3/8 inch hex bolts for the rear legs. I used the partially threaded bolts from Home Depot so the threads are not visable and the bolt heads make nice looking feet. I'm getting tighter bass with the increased distance from the floor and with the back of the speakers lower than the front dispersion is improved.

Each Omen now rests on two commercial grade floor mats from HD glued together. The material is acoustically dead with no reflection.

Got to post a picture of your leg setup...I am running about 200 easy breakin hours so far, so I am still only half way to Zu land...I am going to have to check out the bolt raising for base tuning thang :thumb:

morganc

« Reply #250 on: 11 Dec 2010, 02:20 am »
Lucky you!  Zus latest moves have turned me into a real fan boy!  I'm very curious about the Omen Defs and the upcoming Soul Defs. 

My Superflys keep me very happy, but its hard to ignore what these guys are working on.

I think a pair of the B stock omens would be an easy way to evaluate.....and with 60 days and shipping covered both ways.....no brainer....I even considered ordering a pair just to compare the two. 

Gopher

« Reply #251 on: 11 Dec 2010, 02:35 am »
I think a pair of the B stock omens would be an easy way to evaluate.....and with 60 days and shipping covered both ways.....no brainer....I even considered ordering a pair just to compare the two.

I actually already own the Zu Soul Superflys so my curiosity is limited to the Omen Def and upcoming Soul Def (and dominance which is anything but cheap).

Poultrygeist

« Reply #252 on: 11 Dec 2010, 11:28 am »
The leg mod is so easy it doesn't warrant a picture. Just buy the 2 and 3 inch hex bolts ( lag bolts not lag screws ) in 3/8 size for $3.00 at HD or Lowes.  Shorter legs in the back do not make the Omens unstable as the driver weight is in the front.

The cheapo standard hard surface feet on the Omens are nothing but cut off 3/8 threaded rods. Someone might want to experiment with different lengths of hex bolts to see what works best. For no good reason I selected the 2 inchers for the back and three inchers for the front but it works well and looks good. If drilling stone wasn't such a pain I'd mount longer leg bolts to black polished granite bases.

I'm pretty happy with the Omens paired with a modded MiniWatt but the Omens are a lot of speaker for my modest sized 15x15 listening room. I suspect the extra driver the Defs employ would have been overkill in my small space.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #253 on: 11 Dec 2010, 11:36 am »
Omens B-stock $799
Now that's definitely cheerful!!!!!

BTW. Panels came in - will cut and post my findings over the weekend.

Must resist. It doesn't look like you can choose a color. Also gets free shipping.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #254 on: 11 Dec 2010, 12:20 pm »
WOW at $799 with free shipping I wish I had waited. The black finish on my Omens isn't perfect as there are some light smudges but dang if I'd send them back.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #255 on: 11 Dec 2010, 12:32 pm »
WOW at $799 with free shipping I wish I had waited. The black finish on my Omens isn't perfect as there are some light smudges but dang if I'd send them back.

How about some pictures

JohnR

« Reply #256 on: 11 Dec 2010, 12:33 pm »
$200 is not a lot left over for electronics.

Charles Xavier

« Reply #257 on: 11 Dec 2010, 12:43 pm »
$200 is not a lot left over for electronics.

Don't need any . I heard the Zu's run off of the Butler 2250 . While not the same speaker , I think the Omen will handle it. If not, ship them back

Gopher

« Reply #258 on: 11 Dec 2010, 02:14 pm »
Have you guys seen all the crap they're pilling on in package deals?

http://www.zuaudio.com/holiday/

Particularly interesting in the Omen/Virtue/Mission speaker cable package at $1500 shipped.

I don't know what the strategy is, as you can't really consider it a loss leader when they're selling you the complete system...     

Charles Xavier

« Reply #259 on: 11 Dec 2010, 02:34 pm »
What worries me is another company used to do the same thing and now they are no more