Power conditioner

Adinoto

Power conditioner
« on: 24 Aug 2007, 11:02 am »
Hi Jim,
I read your article about power conditioner.
How did you make the hole for the connector? Metal works is always a challange for me... :duh:

Thanks

hagtech

Re: Power conditioner
« Reply #1 on: 24 Aug 2007, 06:51 pm »
How did you make the hole for the connector?

I wrote a program for my CNC (computer controlled milling machine). :wink:

jh

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: 24 Aug 2007, 07:00 pm »
How did you make the hole for the connector?

I wrote a program for my CNC (computer controlled milling machine). :wink:

jh

Which CNC  machine do you have?  HAAS?

Adinoto

« Reply #3 on: 25 Aug 2007, 06:40 am »
Thanks Jim,
I guess it will be hard to do it with only hacksaw...

Regards
Adinoto

analog97

« Reply #4 on: 25 Aug 2007, 02:05 pm »
I also built JH's Power Conditioner.  When I looked at the difficulty in making 8 duplex AC cut-outs I realized that would be an exercise in futility for me.  Without a CNC, somebody's gonna have to be mighty darn good to do that!!  So, I aborted the metal case, and put it in a slightly larger wooden box.  I made it big enough to mount 2 double duplex AC cover plates on the back.  This was easy.  Just cut out big holes in the back, screw the AC receptacles to the back and mount the cover plates.  For those contemplating this project, if yours metal-working skills/tools are less than stellar, you should consider a wood case.

hagtech

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2007, 06:11 pm »
I also built one using the old method.  Drill a hundred small holes making a perforation of an outline.  Clip whatever is left hanging on so the middle falls out.  Then file away with both semi-round and flat files.  Lots of hard handwork, but you'd be suprised how fast it can go.

My CNC is a MAX NC10, or something like that.  Not very good, I do not recommend it.  I had to completely re-build the electronics.  Anyway, it only works on small pieces, so any of the normal or large chassis are done by hand.  Like the CLARION proto, this was all drill, file, and punch.

jh

analog97

« Reply #6 on: 27 Aug 2007, 11:06 pm »
In 9th grade, somebody would always shout "Show-off!!!!"  I find it amazing that you can "drill, file and punch" your way to that beautiful result.  My first attempt at chassis drilling was for the Piccolo.  The chassis looks like crap (not doing justice to the sonics).  I gotta hand it to ya, you are very skilled at metal work.  But, hey you are an artful analog design engineer.  How can you justify that time expense for these chassis (what's the plural of chassis?).  As a respectful customer, I would much rather you sit and think , as opposed to filing, drilling and punching!  That had to take you a week!!

some young guy

« Reply #7 on: 28 Aug 2007, 12:47 am »
cool! it's nice to know i'm not the only one who still employs caveman techniques :lol:
i use the same methods for all my face plates and some of them get pretty intricate.