Bryston BP17 Cubed Linestage Preamp - SOLD

ngamountains

Bryston BP17 Cubed Linestage Preamp - SOLD
« on: 27 May 2018, 01:15 am »
Bryston BP17 "Cubed" preamplifier, in silver with 19" faceplate. This preamp is less than a year old and includes the new, patented Salomie input circuit also used in the new Cubed series power amplifiers, as well as balanced inputs and outputs that were not included on the original (non-Cubed series) BP-17 preamp. I am the second owner of this preamp, and bought it to compare to my Bryston BP26 preamp.  Sonically, the two preamps were a toss-up for me in my system (Bryston 28 Cubed monoblock amps, Thiel CS6 speakers).  I have now committed to buying a pair of Legacy Aeris speakers with the Wavelet preamp/processor/room correction, which makes both these preamps superfluous.

When I purchased this preamp from the original owner, he was up front that he had used the original Bryston box to ship another item, and that it would come in a non-Bryston box, but said it would be packed very well. Unfortunately he was readying for an overseas trip so decided to let another person from his business handle the shipping, and it was done with less care than had been intended. The result was that it arrived to me with some scuffing of the faceplate, and a very small deformation at the lower right hand corner of the 19" faceplate, which sticks beyond the preamp chassis 1" on each side. You have to look very hard for this deformation unless you are laying underneath the preamp looking upward. I have attempted to show the most noticeable scuffs on the faceplate and the deformation in several of the photos, against the end of a ballpoint pen for location and size reference.

On receiving the preamp in a worse-than-advertised condition, the original owner gave me an allowance to send it to Bryston to have a new faceplate installed, which I would do if I was keeping it. As I am selling it, however, I thought I would first offer it at a lower price, as some buyers may be content with the small flaws in exchange for a really low price on this latest addition to the Bryston line, which was just reviewed extremely favorably in this month's Stereophile magazine. If a buyer is interested in the preamp, but would prefer it with the faceplate replaced by Bryston, I will send it to Bryston to have this done, but this will add a couple weeks to delivery timing in order to send it back/forth to Bryston in Vermont, and the cost will increase to $2500 to cover the cost of the faceplate, labor and two-way shipping. If a buyer did want to pursue this option, he/she could elect a 17" rather than 19" faceplate, if this better matches existing equipment, which was another reason to offer the preamp first as-is. Let me reiterate, these flaws are minor and the unit is quite presentable from even a foot away, let alone placed onto a shelf, in a rack, etc.

This preamp does come with a copy of the original invoice from Ayreborn Audio-Video in Surrey, BC Canada for the balance of the Bryston 20 year warranty.

I will Ground ship this preamp free and cover Paypal fees at the listed price for buyers in the US Lower 48 states. Please inquire regarding shipping cost if you are in Alaska, Hawaii or Canada. I will not ship this unit overseas. If you accept the preamp in its current state at the $2000 asking price, I will ship it in a non-Bryston box as I received it, but wrapped in a towel to protect the finish, then surrounded with packing peanuts, etc.  If you would like the preamp with a new Bryston faceplate at the $2500 price, you would then receive it in an original Bryston box and packaging after the faceplate has been replaced.

I have a few positive feedbacks here on USAM, and feedback of 437 with no negatives over 15+ years on EBay under "y2kcamaross". Please ask any questions or let me know if there is a specific photo you would like that I have not provided. Thank you for looking.

« Last Edit: 29 May 2018, 05:06 pm by ngamountains »

Sidstall

Re: Bryston BP17 Cubed Linestage Preamps
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2018, 05:48 am »
Does this have the optional DAC stage and/or phono stage?

ngamountains

« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2018, 02:00 pm »
It is the standard $3995 MSRP linestage preamp only.

Sidstall

« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2018, 04:07 pm »
PMed

ngamountains

« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2018, 05:05 pm »
Sold.  Thanks to Sidstall.

NHSkier

Re: Bryston BP17 Cubed Linestage Preamp - SOLD
« Reply #5 on: 30 May 2018, 01:53 am »
Not surprised. That was one heck of a deal!