Question for Danny - OB-7 Center

SteveCornell

Question for Danny - OB-7 Center
« on: 18 Oct 2009, 07:00 pm »
Danny,

I am considering building a a pair of OB-7s for the L-R Mains in my home theater but then I would also need to build a center, my question is could I modify 1\2 of an OB-7 kit for a center by moving the OB section to the center and placing 2 sealed chambers on each side using the same total volume as the OB-7 ?
I realize the tweeter wound need to be rotated, would there be any adverse affects by modifing your design to use like this as a center speaker, could the same crossover values be used ?
Thanks!!
Steve

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
Re: Question for Danny - OB-7 Center
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2009, 08:39 pm »
Hello Steve,
 While I am sure Danny will chime in, I figured I would help get you started. The simple anser is YES. You can have a sealed cabinet at each end of the center channel with the OB between.
 Just make sure you have the proper volume for the bass chambers.

Nick77

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2009, 10:30 pm »
I got this photo from another thread that Denny the cabinet worker had designed.

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 19 Oct 2009, 01:39 am »
It has already been done many times as the pic that Nick found shows. It is basically the OB-7 plus without the lower sub (same plans) and the tweeter gets rotated. Works great.

SteveCornell

« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:11 am »
Thanks for the replies!!!
After an afternoon of reading old posts I found several references to this option.
My theater room is 13 x 34 x 8, my 1st row seating is 12' from the screen, I'm currently running Strata Minis but want something more.
I really don't want to have to pull the speakers out 3' into the room, The OB-7 Plus design has the closed back with the OB to the side, could this design be placed closer to the back wall?

Thanks again!
Steve

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2009, 01:31 pm »
You would defeat much of the purpose of an OB design placing them close to the wall not to mention strange interactions. Maybe look into a conventional typ of speaker from Danny's line? Having them close to the wall would do more harm than good I would think. Unless you did something unique directly behind the OP section.

Danny?

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:40 pm »
If you need to place it close to the wall then go with a side laying N3 in a sealed box.

SteveCornell

« Reply #7 on: 19 Oct 2009, 10:33 pm »
Thanks for the replies!!

How large would you make the sealed enclosure for a horizontal center speaker using the N3 components?

I have considered going with the N3s for the mains as well but I would really like the added dynamics that "I think" the multiple midbass drivers would give, I guess what I'm looking for is a system that will excel at both HT and 2 channel music, I'm an ex car audio competition guy, I have a couple IASCA PRO championships with cars I have built and tuned, I have a good ear and I'm looking to make this room sound as real to "live" as possible. I'm in the process of building a 9cf sealed 18" subwoofer for the extreme low end.
I would like to keep the speakers within 12" -18" of the wall, I'm installing corner bass traps and acoustic panels, I have the equipment and woodworking skills to build any type of enclosure.

Danny, 
What if I took an OB-7 Plus enclosure and drivers, left out the subwoofer and sealed the OB section?? could the same crossover values be used? I really like the looks of the speaker (minus the sub) I really wanted an LS like the LS6 but I'm sure it would overload my room and I would need to pull them so far out into the room.

I really appreciate your thoughts and comments!
Steve

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2009, 01:13 am »
How large would you make the sealed enclosure for a horizontal center speaker using the N3 components?

See enclosure plans:

http://www.gr-research.com/pdf/Neo3S.pdf

I'm in the process of building a 9cf sealed 18" subwoofer for the extreme low end.

Ummm, you could have used our servo subs and played lower, with much lower distortion, WAY tighter and cleaner, in a much smaller sealed box, and for less money.

I would like to keep the speakers within 12" -18" of the wall,

Then I would go for the N3 as left and right mains and flip flop the internals running the opening for the transmission line out the front.

What if I took an OB-7 Plus enclosure and drivers, left out the subwoofer and sealed the OB section?? could the same crossover values be used?

The powered subs do not effect the crossover. Minus the subs, just build the standard OB-7. With no back wall behind the drivers (to help support the upper enclosure) the sound is more transparent and three dimensional. Either will need to be at least three feet off the rear wall though just as any open baffle design.

HT cOz

« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2009, 01:26 am »
Steve,

I can appreciate the more is better approach to speakers.  The simplicity of the Neo-3 TL probably can't be beat for what you are looking to for.  Simply flip the box with the port to the front and focus on other areas of your room.  However, others have worked the path of more drivers.  If you go this route you can't get any additional output, infact it won't play as low as the TL.  But it would be cool and what you would have is lower distortion and clean sound.  Check out this thread.  http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=58601.msg521733#msg521733 

I would think about those subs Danny is talking about.  Everyone who has listened to them has liked them. 

Cheers,
Robert

SteveCornell

« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2009, 01:42 am »
Thanks for the link..... YES, I guess I'm talking about a sealed N3 with an OB7 base section.
I started another thread on this subject, but ....... am I correct in "assuming" that the crossovers are the same for the (2) M130 & Neo3 no matter if the enclosure is sealed, ported, or OB?

HT cOz

« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2009, 01:48 am »
Sealed and Ported yes. OB different animal.