O-3 modified design

yakman2000

O-3 modified design
« on: 16 Oct 2009, 04:24 pm »

I need to wall mount omni surround speakers in the next project.  I'd like to start with the O-3 design, but modify the cabinet.

In the design I would be willing to give up some bass extension in order to get the speaker to be practially wall mounted, with a -3 at about 60-70 hz, but shortening the cabinet by 12" to 24 inches tall, plus vent the port from the bottom so that it isn't blocked by the mount.  Does this seem like a reasonable approach, or would it present significant problems.

HT cOz

Re: O-3 modified design
« Reply #1 on: 17 Oct 2009, 11:35 pm »
Have you looked at the AV-1RS?  The O-3 is a bad choice for wall mounting because the baffel step compensation was designed for the speaker to be played out in the room.

The AV-1RS on the otherhad is made to be wall mounted and omni directional.

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 17 Oct 2009, 11:58 pm »
HT cOz is right. The A/V-1RS was designed just for that application.

yakman2000

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2009, 04:25 am »
Can the AV1 RS be modified to use the neo 3 driver? 

I already have a set of X-ls in the back (whicich is pretty much what the AV-1RS looks like, except for the upward facing drivers.  That's what I'll be replacing. Nice unit, but I'd like to aim a little higher.

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2009, 02:49 pm »
Can the AV1 RS be modified to use the neo 3 driver? 

Not without redesigning the whole thing.

I also wouldn't worry so much about the tweeters matching your front speakers as the woofers. Keep in mind that these are facing upward. They create a great sense of depth and space that other speakers won't do, but the design does not lend itself towards being about to nit pick subtleties or fine details and resolutions as the room and room reflections will have just as much to do with how the top end really sounds as the tweeters themselves.

iskandam

« Reply #5 on: 19 Oct 2009, 03:45 am »
Keep in mind that these are facing upward. They create a great sense of depth and space that other speakers won't do, but the design does not lend itself towards being about to nit pick subtleties or fine details and resolutions as the room and room reflections will have just as much to do with how the top end really sounds as the tweeters themselves.
Would you recommend placing either an absorption panel or diffusion panel on the wall directly above the A/V-1RS to tame ceiling reflection? 

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:39 pm »
That reflection was included in the speakers response when the crossover was designed. Adding anything above it with an absorbing property will mostly just soften the highs that are already down a tad. So I'd stick with it as is.