Dac-60 with early stage 1mods (black faceplate)

jmck407

Dac-60 with early stage 1mods (black faceplate)
« on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:38 am »
Danny,

I am about to purchase a Dac-60 that was one of your first sent out with stage 1 mods from another AC member, it has a black face plate.  From research, I found some of the early stage 1 dac-60s from GR-research, were sent out before the stage 1 mods were finalized.  The seller mentioned when he purchased the dac (used also), he had the same questions, and already verified with you what the differences were.  Some of the early dac's were sent out without a tube upgrade.  The original owner of the unit replaced the stock dac-60 tubes, with a pr of Jan Phillips tubes, and that is what is currently in the dac. 

Do you think the JAN Philips are an o.k. match for the dac-60, and if not are there any you would recommend?  Not sure if this qualifies as giving up proprietary info on your mods for the dac, if it is, understood if you don't want to provide give your opinion on tubes for the dac-60.

Thanks,

John

Danny Richie

Re: Dac-60 with early stage 1mods (black faceplate)
« Reply #1 on: 19 Oct 2009, 02:49 pm »
You might contact Sonic Craft and ask about the tubes. It is a good upgrade. I A/Bed about 30 different tubes, all blind, to find the ones that stood above the rest. Then Jeff purchased a group of them minus the printing (yep, un-printed). So I have no idea what they were, but they were clearly a cut above the others. I think that he still has a bunch of them in stock.

jmck407

« Reply #2 on: 19 Oct 2009, 06:08 pm »
thanks Danny.  When I get the unit will contact Jeff about the tube upgrade.

markC

« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2009, 01:44 am »
If Jeff spills the beans, (and it's OK with him), do let us know!