BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

terrycym

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #280 on: 14 Mar 2011, 12:29 pm »
Hi Vipers,

I would say a few months.

james

Hi James,

Any chance of a new thread to feed back issues that need fixing for next release?
For example...
Mini & Max and the overlapping tesxt issue at the top of the screen?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #281 on: 14 Mar 2011, 12:54 pm »
Hi James,

Any chance of a new thread to feed back issues that need fixing for next release?
For example...
Mini & Max and the overlapping tesxt issue at the top of the screen?

Hi Terry,

I do not think there are enough issues with MAX and MINI to have a separate thread.  MAX and MINI are web-based backup interfaces for our customers not really a replacement for a lot of the better interfaces out there already with many more to come given the LINUX operating system.  We will continue to improve MAX and MINI of course as we go forward.

james
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2011, 06:38 pm by James Tanner »

pimandro

« Reply #282 on: 14 Mar 2011, 07:29 pm »
Hello James, you have found a solution to the long time waiting to load hard disk?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #283 on: 14 Mar 2011, 07:34 pm »
Hello James, you have found a solution to the long time waiting to load hard disk?

Hi - no - that's a tough one because the MINI and the MAX are web based so the load time is longer than a dedicated application like MPAD or Minion or Gnome which is a dedicated APP.  The advantage of the web-browser is any web capable device can see it.

We are looking at programs that will allow MINI and MAX to run faster in the future but my recommendation for now is to use it when you are just managing a few hundred files rather than thousands.

james

pimandro

« Reply #284 on: 14 Mar 2011, 07:55 pm »
Sorry but I have not been clear.
I use mpad as an interface and I am very satisfied.
I refer to the time of loading external hard drive, which takes about 10 minutes to upload 800 gigabytes.

skunark

« Reply #285 on: 14 Mar 2011, 09:25 pm »
I end up leaving my BDP on 24x7 because of that.  It would be nice once you've updated the DB it would save it on that HDD so you won't have to go through that process each time and I can save a few watts.    As for adding a new album to an existing library, the update does seem to be faster, but I think the time to parse all the files to see if they are new or not will take time.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #286 on: 14 Mar 2011, 09:45 pm »
Sorry but I have not been clear.
I use mpad as an interface and I am very satisfied.
I refer to the time of loading external hard drive, which takes about 10 minutes to upload 800 gigabytes.

Sorry I misinterpreted your question. Yes I would leave one drive always connected and the BDP on. We are looking at speeding the load time faster but I can not give you a time line.

James

pimandro

« Reply #287 on: 15 Mar 2011, 07:54 am »
If you can solve the bdp1 will be perfect

terrycym

« Reply #288 on: 15 Mar 2011, 09:55 am »
If you can solve the bdp1 will be perfect
The MPaD/MPoD apps have a button to refresh the local cache.
Couldn't the BDP do the same?
After all the content is hardly changing on a frequent basis.

Welly123

« Reply #289 on: 15 Mar 2011, 10:05 am »
The MPaD/MPoD apps have a button to refresh the local cache.
Couldn't the BDP do the same?
After all the content is hardly changing on a frequent basis.

This question has been asked on multiple occaisions, but still no solution or implemenation time-scale. It should be simple to implement.
1 - Scan the HDD
2 - Save the index as a file
3 - Read the index file on power-up (instead of rescanning the whole HDD).
4 - Only refresh/save the index upon input from the control panel (button press) or SW interface.

Regards

Russell

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #290 on: 15 Mar 2011, 03:12 pm »
hi, folks!

anyone out there who noticed droputs while playing songs with the BDP-1 ? i did :o. not too often but now and then it happens...
the connected hdd is a 2,5" WD. maybe i should try a hdd with an external power supply ?

any ideas anyone??

thanks,

al :scratch:.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #291 on: 15 Mar 2011, 03:18 pm »
hi, folks!

anyone out there who noticed droputs while playing songs with the BDP-1 ? i did :o. not too often but now and then it happens...
the connected hdd is a 2,5" WD. maybe i should try a hdd with an external power supply ?

any ideas anyone??

thanks,

Hi Al,

No issues at my end - the USB powered 2.5 drive should not be a problem unless it is a really old one. I have about 6 Seagate 2.5 USB drives now ranging from 360TB to 750TB without issues.

james
« Last Edit: 15 Mar 2011, 05:55 pm by James Tanner »

Napalm

« Reply #292 on: 15 Mar 2011, 03:22 pm »
Any BDP-2 with internal DAC?  :eyebrows:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #293 on: 15 Mar 2011, 03:30 pm »
Any BDP-2 with internal DAC?  :eyebrows:

No sorry .. no plans at all in that direction.

james

terrycym

« Reply #294 on: 15 Mar 2011, 03:44 pm »
hi, folks!

Does it happen on the same track at the same point every time?
Mine plays perfectly BTW
Can't see an external PSU making any difference.
Do you get read errors when you use the hdd when it's attached to a PC?

skunark

« Reply #295 on: 15 Mar 2011, 04:48 pm »
hi, folks!

any ideas anyone??

thanks,

There have been a few notable glitches at the end of a few songs that is reproducible with my BDP/DAC combo.  These songs play fine on other solutions, my next step will be to re-rip a CD when I find the time, I also plan to try a different DAC like the BDA.

I have noticed dropouts when i'm updating, syncing music and playing music on the same drive at the same time, but never have had a drop out while just playing back.   I am using a WD, 750GB, 5400 RPM drive.  As soon as Bryston sells a 4-bay HDD enclosure, i will be switching to SSDs (hint). 

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #296 on: 15 Mar 2011, 05:58 pm »
This question has been asked on multiple occaisions, but still no solution or implemenation time-scale. It should be simple to implement.
1 - Scan the HDD
2 - Save the index as a file
3 - Read the index file on power-up (instead of rescanning the whole HDD).
4 - Only refresh/save the index upon input from the control panel (button press) or SW interface.

Regards

Russell

My software engineer tells me it is a bit more complicated because of the other jobs the current software must do and the way it integrates with the front panel software, but we will certainly look at what options are available going forward.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #297 on: 15 Mar 2011, 06:46 pm »
Terry:
i remember one song where it happened twice or so. but NOT at the same point. weird, eh?! haven't tried the hdd with my PC yet...

Skunark:
i could try the SP2's coax. the problem is it is used in the sleeping room and i guess i am way too lazy to unplug it and so on and so on :oops:

James,
my hdd is 1tb. probably too much for the BDP?

al.

Vipers

« Reply #298 on: 15 Mar 2011, 10:22 pm »
hi, folks!
anyone out there who noticed droputs while playing songs with the BDP-1 ? i did :o. not too often but now and then it happens

Funny you should mention it, but I was listening to Adele's 21 the other night and I had a couple of small dropouts but just assumed the cd needed re-ripping, if it happens again I'll see if it is in the same place each time or random.

Ned F. Kuehn

« Reply #299 on: 16 Mar 2011, 12:33 am »
The only time I experienced this was with the Bryston interface (max). It has never been a problem with the MPoD client. The two interfaces are different (I think). It is interesting that the best performance I get is with a 2 TB WD Caviar Black hard disk (a drive that should be way beyond what is needed, but it has a huge buffer). Also make sure the hard drives have been defragmented as this will improve performance.
Ned