DIY Magic Sound Buffer 6N3 x 2 + 6Z4 Tube Preamp

erikjan

I just purchased this Magic Sound Buffer 6N3 x 2 + 6Z4 Tube Preamp
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Magic-Sound-Buffer-6N3-x-2-6Z4-Tube-Preamp-AMP-220V-or-110V-Transformer-/251399731990

I want to roll some tubes in here. I would like some council on what tubes to purchase. Ive seen a
few builders own this unit and where very happy, but they used stock tubes or so it seems.

Is anyone familiar with this tube amp?
Thanks Erik

wes_in_va

Re: DIY Magic Sound Buffer 6N3 x 2 + 6Z4 Tube Preamp
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2014, 10:35 am »
I don't have experience with that amp, though I do have a similar 2-tube version using the 6N3's.
I plan on replacing mine with GE 5670's, preferably the red star version based on reading what some people I trust have had to say. I've used the white star GE5670's in previous pre's and I liked those a lot.
I just got my 6N3 put together a little more than a week ago, so I'm planning to use it as is for now and just see what I think.
So far, I'm very, very happy with it. Blown away, actually. 

erikjan

« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2014, 03:20 pm »
Thanks for the advice. From what ive just read, lots of positive reviews.

Ill see if i can pick up a matched pair. And report back-

johnvin01

« Reply #4 on: 6 Sep 2014, 08:31 pm »
do tube buffers really work?
I have seen many mixed opinions.

wes_in_va

« Reply #5 on: 9 Oct 2014, 01:36 pm »
I've now got about 20 hours on my 2 tube 6n3 pre with GE 5 star (white, not red) tubes and I'm pretty in love with it paired with my audiobah TPA3116 amp. The TPA beat out my Legacy 432 amp in the system in it's in and that's saying something. The Legacy is a kicka** amp.
I've been so happy with the 6n3 pre that I'm about to move it into my other system to see how it stacks up against a Conrad Johnson PV12L. I think there's an outside chance it might win and that's a very weird feeling. 

Poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2014, 01:05 pm »
Here's the preamp with Russian 6n3p-ev tubes.

I tried GE's and Tung Sol's but prefer the Russians. The Russians are much cheaper and a great replacement for the original Chinese 6n3 tubes as they're the same height. The GE's and Tung Sols are shorter and look puny next to the tall rectifier tube.

Poultrygeist

« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2014, 01:16 pm »
I've now got about 20 hours on my 2 tube 6n3 pre with GE 5 star (white, not red) tubes and I'm pretty in love with it paired with my audiobah TPA3116 amp. The TPA beat out my Legacy 432 amp in the system in it's in and that's saying something. The Legacy is a kicka** amp.
I've been so happy with the 6n3 pre that I'm about to move it into my other system to see how it stacks up against a Conrad Johnson PV12L. I think there's an outside chance it might win and that's a very weird feeling.

Wes, I'd be shocked if it beat out your CJ.

I once had a PV2 and loved it.

Some say the CJ's are syrupy sweet but not to me.

OB_Newbie

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2014, 05:40 pm »

So Wes... how DOES the little wonder compare to the Conrad Johnson PV12L???  Any conclusions yet???

Cheers!
Rich