Quick and Easy SSD Format Question

Don_S

Quick and Easy SSD Format Question
« on: 22 Nov 2022, 06:27 pm »
I am formatting a Samsung T7 SSD portable drive for music backup storage. Format for exFAT or NTFS? A Google search gave me conflicting information.

One search item said NTFS. Another said NTFS for an internal drive and exFAT for an external drive. My Samsung is an external drive.

Thanks.

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Quick and Easy SSD Format Question
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2022, 07:15 pm »
If using it with Mac OS or on both OS and Windows then use exFat, ow use NTFS.  But either one will work for Windows.

Kray

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2022, 07:35 pm »
Any external drive you want to put music on and direct connect to devices, integrated amps, etc. use exFAT

But it safest to just use exFAT for compatibility.... if you will only use it connected to the same Mac/PC then just use the native format for that OS

Don_S

« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2022, 07:55 pm »
This will be backup only. Safe storage. Server is an Aurender N20 with internal SSDs via slots in the rear of the unit. My computers are Windows.

newzooreview

« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2022, 08:46 pm »
Neither format should effect the reliability as a backup. If it's just sitting in a box on a shelf or wherever, the things (unlikely) that would corrupt a disk sitting unused are not dependent on disk format.

Will the disk be plugged into a Windows computer with the backup done over the network? Or will the disk be plugged into a USB port on the Aurender, using some sort of backup function within the Aurender operating system?

I'm only asking in the event that it will be plugged directly into the Aurender and the Aurender reads exFAT disks but not NTFS.

exFAT disks can be read by almost any device. You could plug the disk into a smart TV and play songs from it. NTFS is less universally readable. If the disk will sit in safe storage as a backup, however, then it wouldn't seem to make a difference.

NTFS is better for a disk regularly used in a Windows system because it has built-in error recovery when files are being regularly saved and deleted. This is not particularly relevant to a disk for backup since the error correction built into the file copying is all you need, and that is the same for NTFS and exFAT.

zoom25

« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2022, 08:52 pm »
I always go with NTFS, even on Macs. To make 'Write' work on NTFS drives on Macs, I use Tuxera NTFS. Problem solved. Aside from that, I always format my drives to NTFS for storage as soon as I get them. It's the one I trust, regardless of whether I'm using a small flash drive, portable HDD/SSD, or a 14TB drive. NTFS is journaled, exFAT is not. I've had issues with exFAT before.

I only ever use exFAT if NTFS isn't working and exFAT is specifically required.

Don_S

« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2022, 09:06 pm »
Thanks everyone for the education.

I am transferring from an external HDD to an external SSD via a Windows computer. Later one of the drives will be used to transfer the music to an internal drive in my new Aurender. It is not set up yet. I am waiting for the storage drive to be delivered. The Aurender has two slots in the rear for the customer to install 2.5" drives.

I don't trust the HDD for the long haul. I feel safer with two backup drives considering how much work it was creating the initial library. Plus the little Samsung is so darn cute.  :jester: What a difference in size compared to the ancient Seagate HDD.

Don_S

« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2022, 11:17 pm »
Thanks everyone. I formatted in NTFS and started the music files transfer.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #8 on: 23 Nov 2022, 12:20 am »
I would not worry about reliability of the Samsung SSD.  They have a great reliability record.  I use Samsung for all my SSD's.  But it is a good idea to have double back up.  I have 9TB of music backed up x2 on WD Red's. The music I listen to the most are on 1 TB SSD's.

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2022, 05:07 am »
The Samsung SS drives are very good.  I’ve had an 860 EVO in my Auralic for over 2 years without a problem.  However do watch for the 870 QVO versus EVO.  The EVOs have a smaller max capacity but a 5-year warranty versus a 3-year warranty for the QVOs.  The QVOs may also fail early based on reviews on Amazon.

Btw, congrats on your N20 Don.  I received mine over the weekend, and it is spectacular. Enjoy it and happy listening!