Alnico Fostex drivers

Mike82

Alnico Fostex drivers
« on: 30 Jan 2004, 12:28 am »
Hi Louis:

Will any of your designs accept the alnico magnet Fostex drivers? I prefer the "tone" of the alnico magnets over the typical ferrite/neodynium.

Thx,
Mike

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Alnico Fostex drivers
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2004, 11:56 am »
Allow me to chime in:

Louis' goal with Omega speakers is to bring affordable speakers to SET and other limited power tube amps.  So you may be barking up the wrong tree.  Remember that Louis "mods" the standard Fostex drivers.  

Have you heard his speakers?  

The TS1/2 are very enjoyable (rich tuneful sound) but best suited for smaller venues (limited bass).  

The 3 series are faster, more accurate.  With a sub they really can move up to the next plateau to provide high quality, full range sound.

Mike82

Alnico Fostex drivers
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2004, 12:14 pm »
JLM:

I heard the Omegas at the MWAF and they are very impressive. I was pleasantly surprised at the sound of the Fostex drivers which were being used in the Omegas, Cain & Cain Abby, and the Madisound room.  I actually prefer the Fostex sound to the 5-10x pricier Lowther and AER drivers which I heard in the Beauhorn and the Lamhorn- which I used to sell in my shop.  

My attraction to the Omegas is not on their affordability, but their excellent sound (they are a steal at their given prices). I was simply inquiring whether any of the Fostex alnico drivers could be used in the Omegas.  Even if they are not an option, I'll likely pick up a pair of TS1R for system (they would be replacing Khorns which I had to sell after I gave up my dedicated music room to the 2 boys we are adopting).

The other speaker I'll be listening to this weekend is the Cain & Cain Abby, which also impressed me at MWAF. Fortunately, my local dealer carries both Omega and C&C.

BTW, do you know what the mods are?  I'm thinking Louis may be treating the cones with C37 or something similar.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Alnico Fostex drivers
« Reply #3 on: 31 Jan 2004, 10:46 pm »
Mike:

I believe that the treatment Louis uses on his drivers are his trade secret.

I heard all those speakers you mentioned at the 2003 MAF and I agree, the best were the Abbys and the Omegas.  Louis' workmanship is wonderful, but Terry Cain's is spectacular.  For the price I could not quibble over Louis' work.  For WAF and value Omega rules.

This is how I'd make recommendations along the Omega line:

TS1: warm sound, medium to larger room

TS2: warm sound, small to medium room

TS3: faster sound, small room, mounted in a tight setting (like a bookshelf)

Super 3: faster sound, locate in however sized room your sub can handle

3 BPC: less pin-point, more natural/spacious imaging, impedance options

Mike82

Alnico Fostex drivers
« Reply #4 on: 1 Feb 2004, 12:19 am »
JLM:

I emailed Louis and he can use an alnico Fostex in the Super 3 or the Grande 8 (for a considerable upcharge- they are pricey). Louis opined I'd get a bit more bass extension too.

I went to Earthshaking Music today and listened to 3 different single driver speakers, the Carolina Audio JTM, the C&C Abby, and the Super 3.

The JTM weren't to my liking. Then the Super 3.  When I heard them at MWAF, it was hard to really assess them given the huge room they were in. But listening at EM... Holy Crap!!!!!! Saying these disappear is an understatement. They did an excellent job creating space around them.  I expected the Super 3 to be bass shy much like the LothX, but the Super 3 had excellent bass extension (better than the LothX) and I doubt I’d miss a subwoofer while listening to most genres of music. Quick, clean, natural, and captivating is my best description. Clean often means analytical, but not in the Super 3 case. Nor did I find the sound – “in your face” as some face described it.

Lastly, I listened to the Abby which also impressed me.  It had a bit more body to the sound- a given considering the larger driver and cabinet, but it didn’t have quite the resolution of the Super 3.  The Abby was also a bit colored sounding, but in a way I like. But in the end…

I decided on the Super 3- with upgrades as “R” version and with the F120 alnico driver. Even with the upgrades, I figure I’ll still come in about 2/3 the cost of the Abby.

I'll have to post my impression once they arrive. I have the Thorough Bass Solutioms (AKA VBT) subwoofer which I expect will blend in quite nicely, but I don't think it will be necessary for most types of music.

Regards,
Mike

rosypup

Alnico Fostex drivers
« Reply #5 on: 1 Feb 2004, 11:12 am »
Hi JLM, that's a good description of the models.  I have the super 3r right at my desktop and it's an excellent speaker. You should hear it with the amp  I have, a remarkable sound.

I just got the grande 8 also but it looks like it might be involved in a trade for some amp stuff with a friend of mine.  There's a certain neutrality to the sound too. I had just gotten started  trying  to break them in. It needs it but I only got about 3 hours into it so far.

Mike82, That is also a good description of the speakers you heard.  The super 3's do sound quite amazing when doing an a/b  them. It is startling.

I have the abby nearfield version and it does have a more colored sound in a way that is likeable except for vocals.  the abby is really a beautiful piece of equipment.  I haven't had a chance to compare the abbys with the grande 8's. Probably won't get a chance since I'm lending out the 8's today.  

My abbys are more broken in.  Just a guess I would say that the abbys have more soundstaging, and the 8's are more neutral and straight shooters.  Abby sound is more "fat".

The 8's sound like they are just beginning to open up and may sound alot better soon.

Louis O

Alnico Fostex drivers
« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2004, 02:12 pm »
Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your posts and great compliments regarding the Super 3s.
I'm very happy you like them and the Alnico version will bring them to the next level. The F120A is a drop in replacement in the Super 3 and all I have to do is change the port size. Bass will go a little deeper and the driver moves more air. The drivers are in and the cabinets are built, just need to veneer them.

Hi JLM,

Thanks for the great posts and your spot on with the descriptions. I decided to go with the F120As as they are very good and a drop in replacement. This really lowers cost as i can share the Super 3 cabinets and not have to add a new model or start from scratch. I'm committed to high value speakers and will always offer them.

Hi rosypup,

Great to hear you got the Grande 8s. I'm sure they need a lot of break in. I'm really happy the Super 3s are working out for you. Please let me know how the 8s work out after they break in.

Many thanks and talk to you soon,
Louis