from denon 3802 to Khartago upgrade

Salvador

« on: 27 Aug 2003, 10:13 pm »
Hello

First of all here is my current setup:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Denon 3802
Paradigm Studio 20's (1 pair)
Audioquest cv-4 biwire
Using an m-audio revolution as a preamp from my PC (files are in .ape format)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm just about to sell my denon 3802 so that i can focus more on 2-channel. I was thinking of a Stratos w/120 but i can't afford it at this moment. I'm considering the Khartago as a 2-channel amp. The khartago price fits nicely in my budget.

Would the khartago be a decent step up from my denon 3802? Or should i just save up for a stratos down the road? And does the khartago upgradable???

thanks in advance

rosconey

« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2003, 11:01 pm »
call klaus :mrgreen:

MaxCast

« Reply #2 on: 28 Aug 2003, 01:14 am »
The duo of Khartago and Estatian will undoubtedly be the recommendation and what you should save for.

Eric D

Re: from denon 3802 to Khartago upgrade
« Reply #3 on: 28 Aug 2003, 02:47 pm »
Quote from: Salvador
I'm just about to sell my denon 3802 so that i can focus more on 2-channel. I was thinking of a Stratos w/120 but i can't afford it at this moment. I'm considering the Khartago as a 2-channel amp. The khartago price fits nicely in my budget.

Would the khartago be a decent step up from my denon 3802? Or should i just save up for a stratos down the road? And does the khartago upgradable???
this.

I don't know much about PC based music, but I'd wonder how clean a source the card actually is.  And I'm a little surprised that you'd want a 2-channel amp when the card will do 7.1.  

In any case, imho you aren't going to get much change.  I at first placed a Stratos as a 2-channel amp coming out of my 3300, I noticed a little in the bass region, but nothing earth shattering.  It wasn't until I went to a clean 2-channel preamp that I got a more dramatic change.

OK, I looked up the card and the .ape format...  Let me say this.  When going to the 2-channel approach, people usually start placing more importance on the DACs - exactly how the analog waveform is generated.  While the card is very robust feature-wise, it's driven off the PC power supply and the card slot.  Maybe you could use the digital out to drive an external DAC, but then you've lost the volume adjustment from the card.

So it might be an enabling move, especially if you do plan on other 2-channel sources later.  In that case, the Etesian or another preamp with a HT bypass would allow you to send 7.1 signal straight through, but volume adjust the other source(s).  And you could get a less expensive 5 channel amp to complete the Home Theater out of the PC.

Good luck,

James Tg

Re: from denon 3802 to Khartago upgrade
« Reply #4 on: 28 Aug 2003, 09:52 pm »
Quote from: Salvador
Hello

First of all here is my current setup:

Denon 3802
Paradigm Studio 20's (1 pair)
Audioquest cv-4 biwire
Using an m-audio revolution as a preamp from my PC (files are in .ape format)

I'm just about to sell my denon 3802 so that i can focus more on 2-channel. I was thinking of a Stratos w/120 but i can't afford it at this ...

First of all, I never auditioned Khartago before but I do have Odyssey amps at home.  IMHO, Stratos outperforms Denon 3802 a lot, and Stratos is better than Rotel, B&K, and Parasound, ...  However, you need have a decent pre amp to match it.  With the price range, you cannot go wrong with it.  Please see my review at AudioReview for Odyssey Dual Mono.

Call Klaus at 317-299-5578.  He will help you.  I talked to him and saw him several times (I am lucky to live close to him, 1 hour driving distance).  He always helps me.

James Tang

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2003, 12:43 am »
Thanks guys for the vine on the Khartago.
Yes,  it's indeed the same board as the Stratos for $ 750.,  correct.  FYI,  we'll FINALLY  !!!!!  after 3 months delay start shipping the first units next month.  Had to finish the looks and the internal heat sinks first.

Late,

Klaus