xtreme mono owners

mgalusha

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2003, 06:42 pm »
Indeed they are the same transformers used in the Xtreme mono's...

Xtreme mono interior.

Pirate

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #21 on: 24 May 2003, 07:00 pm »
Placed order for Sratos Stereo Extreme . Here is a photo of the Stratos with the 120 cap upgrade if you'd like to compare.
http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/gallery/drphoto/abc

Pirate

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #22 on: 24 May 2003, 07:09 pm »

rosconey

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #23 on: 24 May 2003, 10:07 pm »
so is this new one going to be the stereo stealth  extreme :?: um honey the amp has to be cleaned by klaus so i must send it in -get the extreme upgrade, cover the money like enron from the wife and replace in system  :mrgreen: its got to be alot easier than explaining why one shipped out but two came back :!:
it would be kinda cool to have lexan top cover for my extremes -i had to open them up the day i got them, it was cold and i didnt want to plug them in like that so i let them warm up for a few hours first.

MaxCast

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #24 on: 25 May 2003, 12:45 am »
Quote from: TheeeChosenOne
Nice pic.

Is that the Platinum finish I see on your plate?  ;)   If so, yum.

Yep.

vpolineni

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #25 on: 25 May 2003, 05:02 am »
xtreme mono owners:
  what preamp are you running with your monos?   I'm thinking of going with either a passive, a tempest, or a tubed preamp.  Any recommendations?

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
xtreme mono owners
« Reply #26 on: 25 May 2003, 06:07 am »
Quote from: vpolineni
xtreme mono owners:
  what preamp are you running with your monos?   I'm thinking of going with either a passive, a tempest, or a tubed preamp.  Any recommendations?

this may depend on your speakers, source, and other factors. SYNERGY is the big word. My speakers love tubes, but htey also need serious power.  So I can't put the tubes in the pre, and Odyssey monos do the weight lifting

BikeWNC

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #27 on: 25 May 2003, 02:31 pm »
My speakers love tubes, but htey also need serious power. So I can't put the tubes in the pre, and Odyssey monos do the weight lifting

:?: I don't understand this statement.  As long as the pre has enough gain, how can it affect the power?  If you mean that tubes are soft or less dynamic than ss, well there are all kinds of tube preamps just as there are ss preamps.  I think Klaus could give you some suggestions for a tube preamp that would work well with the Extremes.

markC

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #28 on: 25 May 2003, 02:50 pm »
I'm running a tubed pre with my dual mono. The pre has a normal and high gain switch. On normal, (where it stays), normal listening levels range from 10 o'clock-about 70db, to 2 o'clock-about 95 db. When swithced to high gain, the settings move to between 9 o'clock and 12 o'clock. No problem with usable volume control here. :D

mgalusha

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #29 on: 26 May 2003, 03:34 am »
I use a somewhat modded Transcendent Grounded Grid (tubes) and it works very well with the Stratos.

I would be the AVA preamps would be good a match as well.

Mike

speedcenter

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #30 on: 26 May 2003, 02:52 pm »
Quote from: Tsunami
My speakers love tubes, but htey also need serious power. So I can't put the tubes in the pre, and Odyssey monos do the weight lifting

:?: I don't understand this statement.  As long as the pre has enough gain, how can it affect the power?  If you mean that tubes are soft or less dynamic than ss, well there are all kinds of tube preamps just as there are ss preamps.  I think Klaus could give you some suggestions for a tube preamp that would work well with the Extremes.

I have no need for a different pre - typo up there should have been "can put the tubes in the pre"   Love my tube pre-amp - just need more horsepower for the maggies than a tube power amp could ever deliver.

BikeWNC

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #31 on: 26 May 2003, 03:25 pm »
Thanks for the clarification. :)   I too have the extreme monos, and I like them very much with my tube preamp.  Have a good one!

Andy

Eduardo AAVM

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #32 on: 27 May 2003, 06:24 am »
The improvement over the Stratos Mono is very evident form the beggining, detail, clarity, microo dynamics...

An incredible and awesome piece of audio enginering, you can't imagine how big, heavy and powerful is until yo have it in front of you, it looks incredible with all cap upgrade and dual transformers.

The face plate is also incredibly beauty, I have platinum ones.

BWentler

• In Christ, we are all saved!
xtreme mono owners
« Reply #33 on: 27 May 2003, 01:05 pm »
Quote from: speedcenter
I have no need for a different pre - typo up there should have been "can put the tubes in the pre"   Love my tube pre-amp - just need more horsepower for the maggies than a tube power amp could ever deliver.

Sure I'll way into this....

My two pre-amps are Melos SHA-Gold and MA-333 both are restored and modified by Melos Audio Restoration (MAR) with the SHA-Gold receiving the brand new all tudes update.  This update replaces the 4x MOS-FET's with 2x 6922 tubes on thier own board.  Very nice and this places the SHA-Gold equal to the MA-333 except the fact the MA-333 has way more detail because of its dual mono design while the SHA-Gold shares a single PS.  Both pre-amps sound GREAT with the mono's!

My Wadia 301 CD-player is in for warranty repair and I'm using my using my old Sony portable CD-player and it's not that bad sounding.  I believe the reason for this is the fact of the tube pre-amp and the mono's.

speedcenter

xtreme mono owners
« Reply #34 on: 27 May 2003, 09:30 pm »
Quote from: BWentler
Sure I'll way into this....

My two pre-amps are Melos SHA-Gold and MA-333 both are restored and modified by Melos Audio Restoration (MAR) with the SHA-Gold receiving the brand new all tudes update.  

I just have a "lowly" DIY Bottlehead Foreplay, but very tweaked out with a laundry list of udpates installed. Just added Telefunken tubes for way too much money, but they were worth it  :D   Later this summer I'll begin building my second preamp, which will use top quality components throughout. Still should stay under $600 in parts. Labor? don't ask...

The most amazing thing is that with each upgrade in my system, the monos are just keeping pace and everything sounds better an dbetter, revealing with each improvement that the true potential of the amps has yet to be reached.

The amps clearly were well ahead of most of the rest of my system when I got them.  Now they are waiting for a trip back to Klaus in June to get the Xtreme treatment  :mrgreen:

Peter