Odyssey - Stereophile

popsyr

Odyssey - Stereophile
« on: 16 Aug 2004, 09:55 pm »
Klaus

Congratulations on making the September Stereophile Mag, Page 79.

It’s nice that you are being recognized for all of your hard work and excellent products.

Maybe a full review is in order soon.

speedcenter

• http://didnt.doit.wisc.edu/audio
Odyssey - Stereophile
« Reply #1 on: 18 Aug 2004, 03:21 pm »
Full review - sure, once Klaus buys a few full page ads...

I don't even look at those magazines anymore. Total marketing garbage. They should send them out for free like the computer trande magazines I get.

Peter

Carl V

Odyssey - Stereophile
« Reply #2 on: 18 Aug 2004, 04:34 pm »
congrats Klaus

Like most things in life....
you hafta take the good with the bad
and take it with a grain or two of salt.

Nowadays Sterophile is inexpensive to
subscribe to....and there is good material
available to the reader.

John151

Odyssey - Stereophile
« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2004, 01:09 pm »
Quote from: speedcenter

I don't even look at those magazines anymore. Total marketing garbage. They should send them out for free like the computer trande magazines I get.

Peter

I agree.  I have yet to read a review that really said anything.  They are rarely ever negative, and are always worded in such a way that the comments could never be proved or disproved.

Marbles

Re: Odyssey - Stereophile
« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2004, 01:37 pm »
Quote from: popsyr
Klaus

Congratulations on making the September Stereophile Mag, Page 79.

It’s nice that you are being recognized for all of your hard work and excellent products.

Maybe a full review is in order soon.

TAS did a nice review on the Stratos a few years ago.......

alex_odyssey_sg

• http://www.odysseyaudiosg.com
Odyssey - Stereophile
« Reply #5 on: 3 Sep 2004, 07:00 am »
yeap...just bought myself a copy of Stereophile and first thing I did was go to page 79. :D

A few things I notice...

1) the red colour option is pretty cool!
2) the Symphonic Line CD - how does it sound? hmmm...wonder if I could get my hands on one of these babies...:D

Alex

Eric

Odyssey - Stereophile
« Reply #6 on: 3 Sep 2004, 02:42 pm »
I love seeing guys like Klaus and Mike Dzurko who build a great product and take good care of their customers get main-stream recognition. Unfortunately, I don't think it happens often enough

alex_odyssey_sg

• http://www.odysseyaudiosg.com
Odyssey - Stereophile
« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2004, 03:55 am »
Quote from: Eric
Unfortunately, I don't think it happens often enough

You are absolutely right on that...well...unless Klaus decides to advertise big time with these mags. Then again when that happens...with all due respect to the reviewers...even an ice-cream bell will sound good. And Klaus will need to up the prices again...

I guess that's reality...But we all know that Odyssey's got a range of great product, don't we? :D

Marbles

Odyssey - Stereophile
« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2004, 04:12 am »
The Symphonic Line CDP is very smooth and analog sounding.  Actually there are two I beleive.  The one that Klaus takes to shows I think is around $3K and I heard there was a new one (in the last 6-12 months) that is around $2K I think.

You never know if there will be a review of a Symphonic Line or Odyssey product in Stereophile.  It wouldn't surprise me to see one in the next year.  I wouldn't even be shocked to see one in 6 months or so..................

Randy

Odyssey - Stereophile
« Reply #9 on: 5 Sep 2004, 07:09 pm »
I have a vague memory of a Stereophile Symphonic Line amp review from many years ago.  Seems like the summary was great sound, high price, and tweaky in some way.  I think they had some trouble with the review sample blowing fuses or something.

KeithR

Odyssey - Stereophile
« Reply #10 on: 17 Sep 2004, 11:07 pm »
Quote from: speedcenter

Peter

You obviously don't read them anymore because you don't have any idea of what you are talking about.

I'm tired of the conspiracy argument--read in between the lines and always the real "review" comes out.  In fact, a lot has been panned lately (MF turntable, and they have the LARGEST adspace in stereophile)

KarlDL

Odyssey - Stereophile
« Reply #11 on: 18 Sep 2004, 02:28 am »
I'm tired of the conspiracy argument--read in between the lines and always the real "review" comes out.

This is the essential advice of the previous post, which should not be overshadowed by the opening "shot across the bow".  The Absolute or Stereophile reviews can be helpful, read with a grain of salt and jaded attitude ... just as one would approach car reviews or, for that matter, wine (or beer) tasting notes.  

Because these mags have wider circulation (and, therefore, more scrutiny) than reviews on some of the more esoteric web sites, there's good reason to examine what's said, as it is written under a presumption of eventual challenge.  The truth is almost always "between the lines" and the key is to get to the point where you can approximately discern what's important to your tastes from indirect inferences gleaned out of what's written.

Reviews are part of a mosaic that helps choose paths in the audio adventure.  No more, no less.  The specific elements and their relative weights need to be determined individually.

Karl

KeithR

Odyssey - Stereophile
« Reply #12 on: 18 Sep 2004, 02:39 am »
Nicely said Karl.